Style of play this season

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree. I think Justin has already proven that he can guard in the perimeter, it's the offensive burden that the 3 slot carries that some aren't buying, and I totally understand that. Justin doesn't have great hands, a great handle, or good shooting technique. 

I try not to get too tied down with the numbering system. Everyone knows what and who the 1 is. Everyone knows what and who the 5s are. The other 3 slots are somewhat interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Anderson and Hunter have the size and body types to play the wing positions, but we saw last year that being deficient on the defensive side of the ball or not really knowing what to do on offense will greatly cut into your playing time. I'm looking for one of those two to emerge. 

Race Thompson's progression will be interesting too. Last year he was mainly used as an undersized post up player. How he is used this year will be something to watch.

Agree completely with the concept of positions no longer being relevant in terms of pg, sg, sf, etc., it's just like you laid out, one point guard, one big and while the other three spots are interchangeable to an extent, I'd still terms it two wings (which are completely interchangeable) and a stretch or hybrid wing/big (Smith). There is a bit of a difference. 

For example, Langford and Durham were the wings last season and Smith was the hybrid spot. While all three spend most of their time on the perimeter, the first two are creators, ball handlers and play makers, the latter (Smith) is the guy reversing the ball at the top of the key once they're in the set, and then setting the ball screens for the creators (pg and wings). If you move Smith, or even TJD, to that true wing spot then you're expecting them to be able to create off of ball screens, dribble drive to create not only for themselves, but others as well. Smith has shown non ability whatsoever to be able to do that. I'd be pretty surprised if TJD can do that. 

Agree with you defensively, one of the advantages of having guys like Hunter and Anderson (6'7" wings) is that if we need Smith to defend a star wing on the other team, both those guy, assuming they can play, can switch onto the other teams hybrid 4. It allows Archie a lot of flexibility. 

I'm really excited and curious to see how Hunter, Anderson and Race have progressed in particular. Obviously everyone is excited for Hunter, but man what a boost it would be to this program if a Damezi Anderson makes a sophomore leap. If Hunter is good to go, the luxury of having two 6'7" wings that can shoot, that changes everything for the outlook. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd love to see Damezi and Race carve out a niche and contribute a solid 10 minutes / game.

Could you see Justin on the floor with 2 other bigs? If Race and TJD are a threat from the outside, that could allow him to play with 2 bigs. A "3" on D and a "4" on O.

I can. I think that's the way it'll work out. I don't want Justin taking a lot of outside shots because I don't think he's going to develop consistency with his present form. I also don't want him taking the ball on the perimeter and driving to the basket a lot. That was a recipe for a turnover last year.

Maybe he can improve in both areas. As fast as defense goes, I think it's simply a consistency thing.

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree completely with the concept of positions no longer being relevant in terms of pg, sg, sf, etc., it's just like you laid out, one point guard, one big and while the other three spots are interchangeable to an extent, I'd still terms it two wings (which are completely interchangeable) and a stretch or hybrid wing/big (Smith). There is a bit of a difference. 

For example, Langford and Durham were the wings last season and Smith was the hybrid spot. While all three spend most of their time on the perimeter, the first two are creators, ball handlers and play makers, the latter (Smith) is the guy reversing the ball at the top of the key once they're in the set, and then setting the ball screens for the creators (pg and wings). If you move Smith, or even TJD, to that true wing spot then you're expecting them to be able to create off of ball screens, dribble drive to create not only for themselves, but others as well. Smith has shown non ability whatsoever to be able to do that. I'd be pretty surprised if TJD can do that. 

Agree with you defensively, one of the advantages of having guys like Hunter and Anderson (6'7" wings) is that if we need Smith to defend a star wing on the other team, both those guy, assuming they can play, can switch onto the other teams hybrid 4. It allows Archie a lot of flexibility. 

I'm really excited and curious to see how Hunter, Anderson and Race have progressed in particular. Obviously everyone is excited for Hunter, but man what a boost it would be to this program if a Damezi Anderson makes a sophomore leap. If Hunter is good to go, the luxury of having two 6'7" wings that can shoot, that changes everything for the outlook. 

It does present some interesting options. The competition for that one spot should be blazing hot...and I've always believed competition within your team for playing time fuels the competition come game day.

Archived