3 UCLA players arrested in China

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Are you serious ?   I am serious, asking this question.  If you could.  Post a link to this article.  I had heard they had been separated from the team.  But did not think it had come to this. Not doubting you.  Just seems incredulous.  As already mentioned.  A Communist country.... not unlike what happened to Otto Warmbler. 

Blame it on the Russians.

They were already released on bail, and I’m sure they’ll be headed back to the states soon.  China is a totally different country than it was a couple decades ago, not much like North Korea anymore.  They don’t want the international relations nightmare of detaining famous American basketball players.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

They were already released on bail, and I’m sure they’ll be headed back to the states soon.  China is a totally different country than it was a couple decades ago, not much like North Korea anymore.  They don’t want the international relations nightmare of detaining famous American basketball players.

They are lucky to be American citizens and traveling with the team. Imagine a situation a citizen of any Southeast Asian country traveling alone and getting caught for shoplifting. He can go missing for a long long time.

Sad story affecting a Former IU player and current UCLA Coach , Steve Alford !I just can't understand these kids today ! Getting a FREE trip to China everything provide for them by their University and they go and do something so SILLY !!!  I realize that the only PERFECT person was Jesus , but [MAN] where are these kids BRAINS ??

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Has Alford commented on this catastrophe yet?  

UCLA has retained legal counsel in China.  And has been advised by said legal counsel to remain quite.

Meanwhile... currently looking like the 3 players will be staying in China for at least a month.... if not longer.

7 hours ago, rico said:

As I stated previously.... there is a process in China.  First step is to admit guilt, which they did.  Then there are other hurdles to jump through.  Not saying they can't get out in one to two weeks, however, that would be extraordinary.  And probably because of their celebrity, and high powered American attorney's working on their behalf.

Btw, I'll take a thumping to ISU over having three of our players stuck in China for what seems to be the dumbest decision making humanly possible. It least our loss isn't an international incident! 

And those UCLA boys had better pray that Joe Tsai has enough sway to work something out with the Chinese government to lessen the potential punishment they could be facing. Hopefully, the bail situation is a sign that is happening. It's just unbelievable the shear stupidity of what those guys did.....so far beyond idiotic I can even think of a word to describe the ridiculous level of stupidity to describe what they did. 

The UCLA team has returned to Los Angles . While these three remain in China.

6_7829257.jpg

With them is a team consisting of an interpreter, on retainer by UCLA.  Two UCLA officials, and some UCLA legal council.  The three are free to use the hotel's gym, which does not have a basketball court.  And it is up in the air, presently as to what to do about their being able to keep up with their class work.  So, remaining academically eligible is also a big question mark.  Obviously the cost to the University is another separate matter. 

A further investigation turns up the fact that the three stole more than sun glasses.  They also stole expensive items from a nearby mall. 

I wondered how involved our government would be in resolving this incident. The kids involved will likely not face but a small fraction of the wrath that a common offender would, but it remains to be seen what sort of program discipline they see when they get home.  Alford will either get control of his program with this incident or he'll have Lavar Ball clowning him until he gets fired.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I wondered how involved our government would be in resolving this incident. The kids involved will likely not face but a small fraction of the wrath that a common offender would, but it remains to be seen what sort of program discipline they see when they get home.  Alford will either get control of his program with this incident or he'll have Lavar Ball clowning him until he gets fired.

No guts. They will get slap on hand from UCLA.   

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Apparently Trump intervened. Kids are headed home as I type. I've gone back and forth on Alford post IU for a long time. Will be interesting to see how he handles this one. If he doesn't have some hard discipline I might have to change a part of my ATM code considering 12 is in it.

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Now...... the fun begins.  To see what kinds of punishments Alford hands out.

Probably have to sit out the first half of the game against Japippy State (old RMK reference).

With what's transpired in college basketball over the past several months, one theme is that "special" schools don't have to abide by the rules and face trivial punishment when they are caught.  Good chance we'll see something similar when it comes to dealing with individual players in this case.

Archived