Carter Whitt

Vincent14

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:04 PM, 5 championships said:

judging kid off couple 4 minutes videos seems legit! Lol seems pretty talented to me! I’ll let the staff decide if he fits culture/playing style... I really doubt Archie would want him if he Is DG 2.0... Plus DG was ranked like 200th and this kid is top 50... slight difference there. 

Agreed.....but then again I'm sort of lost with Archie because he draws a red line in the sand and then seems to just let players cross it and continue to see playing time. I know he doesn't have much of a choice with limited players ready to play and I know he feels the pressure to make the tourney but I'm honestly not sure what he stands for at this point.

Again....this kid is crazy talented. He has great handles, sees the court extremely well but his decision making at this point doesn't impress me. I've seen all his highlights and they are great...but then you see scouting vids and overall game vids and you see tons of him dribbling into trouble, taking very ill advised shots (yes he hits his share) and very lazy defense. I suppose all high school kids play pretty bad defense honestly and maybe his decision making can be controlled if he didn't have to do so much but I see quite a bit that scares me. I look at other guards Archie was chasing hard like Diarra, Harris, Davis, Curbelo, Love, Carton, Ramsey, and Lewis etc and I see a commonality amongst many of those pgs and combos but this kid is just different....maybe a good different...but at this point the most similar player I see is Devonte.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

RIVALS' REACTION, WHAT'S NEXT?

Whitt needs to get stronger but he is a heady point guard who really sees the floor and he's dangerous as a jump shooter. Because of his need to develop physically, a redshirt may be beneficial if he elects to enroll as a member of the class of 2020.

https://sports.yahoo.com/four-star-carter-whitt-options-171618649.html

That seems odd to me. Enroll early, just so you can sit for a year. I get that there are potential benefits, but I wouldn't think that happens a lot.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agreed.....but then again I'm sort of lost with Archie because he draws a red line in the sand and then seems to just let players cross it and continue to see playing time. I know he doesn't have much of a choice with limited players ready to play and I know he feels the pressure to make the tourney but I'm honestly not sure what he stands for at this point.

Again....this kid is crazy talented. He has great handles, sees the court extremely well but his decision making at this point doesn't impress me. I've seen all his highlights and they are great...but then you see scouting vids and overall game vids and you see tons of him dribbling into trouble, taking very ill advised shots (yes he hits his share) and very lazy defense. I suppose all high school kids play pretty bad defense honestly and maybe his decision making can be controlled if he didn't have to do so much but I see quite a bit that scares me. I look at other guards Archie was chasing hard like Diarra, Harris, Davis, Curbelo, Love, Carton, Ramsey, and Lewis etc and I see a commonality amongst many of those pgs and combos but this kid is just different....maybe a good different...but at this point the most similar player I see is Devonte.

Ya I agree with you he does remind me of Green some but the kid is a top 50 talent and we all know we need to stack those top 50-80 guys to win big so if he wants to come I really think he is worth the risk... especially if wants to come and redshirt a year like that article suggest.. that would be fantastic!!

7 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Ya I agree with you he does remind me of Green some but the kid is a top 50 talent and we all know we need to stack those top 50-80 guys to win big so if he wants to come I really think he is worth the risk... especially if wants to come and redshirt a year like that article suggest.. that would be fantastic!!

he is top 50 in the 21 class, that would rise if he went in the 20 class. I dont see a player ready for the big ten. imo

20 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

That seems odd to me. Enroll early, just so you can sit for a year. I get that there are potential benefits, but I wouldn't think that happens a lot.

I wouldn't say a lot. Most kids are wanting to get to the NBA sooner...however..if you weren't a OAD kid which will get you to the NBA faster...another year in HS or a year in college getting stronger, playing the best competition day in and day out in practice. The other positive...you get a year of classes out of the way opening up grad transfer possibilities.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn't say a lot. Most kids are wanting to get to the NBA sooner...however..if you weren't a OAD kid which will get you to the NBA faster...another year in HS or a year in college getting stronger, playing the best competition day in and day out in practice. The other positive...you get a year of classes out of the way opening up grad transfer possibilities.

You forgot the coeds.

4 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

A lot of Devonte comparison due to some bad decisions. But Devonte was ranked 197 in his class and 83 grade. Carter is 58 in his class and a 97 grade. 

I have to remember that. Sometimes I'm a little jaded with these ratings. Seems like once a couple big name schools start talking to a kid they jump way up the charts even if their court play hasn't changed much. I trust Archie...he brings in good kids so far. I will trust him here too if that is the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Carter out of the picture now definitively?  If Lander reclassifies and only stays two years, Carter will have a year to learn/contribute a bit then take over. 

If Lander doesn’t reclassify, hard to see him coming in to know he’ll be 2nd or 3rd option for first two years. 

59 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Is Carter out of the picture now definitively?  If Lander reclassifies and only stays two years, Carter will have a year to learn/contribute a bit then take over. 

If Lander doesn’t reclassify, hard to see him coming in to know he’ll be 2nd or 3rd option for first two years. 

Braden Smith 2022 next in pipeline?

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

Interesting question, but kids rated in the top 100 I'd think wouldn't want to wait behind 2 PGs regardless of it only being one year. 

I hope we concentrate on Mohammed, Kaufman, and Duncomb for the rest of the 21 class...

• 6 months later...

I saw something mentioning this kid so I decided to see what is up with his recruitment (IU is no longer recruiting him as far as I know). It looks like he might end up at Nebraska. 

Odd recruitment. Around 65 on both 247 and their composite and has a long list of really good offers. It's just that most of those good offers are listed as "Cool" so it seems like many of those schools have backed off. So while the list of schools that he'll likely choose from are still high major, they're not top tier. 

I'm wonder what the deal is. With that ranking it doesn't appear likely to be skill. He's kind of skinny but has decent height for his position. His defense, maybe? Athleticism? Personality? I know IU landed Lander so maybe the other top schools on his list also filled the position.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I saw something mentioning this kid so I decided to see what is up with his recruitment (IU is no longer recruiting him as far as I know). It looks like he might end up at Nebraska. 

Odd recruitment. Around 65 on both 247 and their composite and has a long list of really good offers. It's just that most of those good offers are listed as "Cool" so it seems like many of those schools have backed off. So while the list of schools that he'll likely choose from are still high major, they're not top tier. 

I'm wonder what the deal is. With that ranking it doesn't appear likely to be skill. He's kind of skinny but has decent height for his position. His defense, maybe? Athleticism? Personality? I know IU landed Lander so maybe the other top schools on his list also filled the position.

He has a lot of highlight reels on YouTube. However I was able to catch a couple unedited clips and I came away not as impressed. When it comes to a pg I want mine to be very smart on the court. Kid took tons of Ill-advised shots, dribbled into trouble trying to do too much and yes his defense was lazy at best. If I had to put it on something I would say His mentality probably. Just didn’t seem to have high b-ball iq. Still very talented however.

Archived