Favorite book

KoB2011

• 4 weeks later...

Just read a new author that Rush recommended, as well as James Patterson. Called False Assurances, by Rosow. Rush raved about it, so I thought I'd give it a try. $3 ebook on Amazon Kindle, or Apple books.

Could not put it down. It was suspense, humor, drama, mystery all rolled into one. Read it in 2 sittings. 2nd book is also out now ($3 ebook as well) using the same character. Getting ready to read that one today.

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Daniel Silva’s next Gabriel Allon book is due out in mid-July 

I'm always a year behind on any book series I read.  I don't read hardbacks, large paperbacks, or own a kindle.  I wait for the mass market paperback.  I just like the feel of that size book better.  So, for me, the 'next' Silva book comes out on May 26th, when 'The New Girl' paperback is released.  I'll likely be at the store that day to pick it up.

• Like 1

I alternate between Enders Game and the Moon is a Harsh mistress as my favorite fiction book. 

Favorite non fiction is probably Six Frigates by Ian Toll.  It follows the formation of the US Navy up through 1815.  Stephen Decatur you might have heard of a place or two named after him.  Was pretty much the first American action hero.  

• Like 2

This book has sat next to every toilet I've owned for at least the past 3 decades, since college, and it looks like it. I've been told that it is too disgusting looking to re-enter polite society, so next to the toilet it stays. I wipe it with Lysol every now and then.

I love reading and re-reading it. It's a collection of daily life stories from WW1 era Russia, during the war and after. Lots of suffering and vodka. Babel was executed in one of Stalin's purges in 1940.

Isaac Babel.jpg

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

This book has sat next to every toilet I've owned for at least the past 3 decades, since college, and it looks like it. I've been told that it is too disgusting looking to re-enter polite society, so next to the toilet it stays. I wipe it with Lysol every now and then.

I love reading and re-reading it. It's a collection of daily life stories from WW1 era Russia, during the war and after. Lots of suffering and vodka. Babel was executed in one of Stalin's purges in 1940.

Isaac Babel.jpg

That is indeed a good one! I'm a huge sucker for stories from this time period in Russia. I studied Russian language and history during my time at IU. Currently reading about Dmitri Shostakovich, a Russian composer who ran afoul of Stalin and somehow lived to "redeem himself."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

That is indeed a good one! I'm a huge sucker for stories from this time period in Russia. I studied Russian language and history during my time at IU. Currently reading about Dmitri Shostakovich, a Russian composer who ran afoul of Stalin and somehow lived to "redeem himself."

Same here. I've always liked Russian art and literature from the early 20th century. I don't speak Russian and I'm certainly not a Russian scholar, but I studied art and literature in college. I have a soft spot for the people portrayed in Babel's stories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Officer Obie said:

Same here. I've always liked Russian art and literature from the early 20th century. I don't speak Russian and I'm certainly not a Russian scholar, but I studied art and literature in college. I have a soft spot for the people portrayed in Babel's stories.

Oh I can't speak Russian to save my life now. Can maybe read a little bit of it. I remember telling my Russian language professor at IU that my goal was to read The Brothers Karamazov in Russian and he was like, "That will take you 12-14 years of studying Russian."

Solzhenitsyn is another one who did such a good job of capturing this time period. His Cancer Ward is probably in my top five books of all time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh I can't speak Russian to save my life now. Can maybe read a little bit of it. I remember telling my Russian language professor at IU that my goal was to read The Brothers Karamazov in Russian and he was like, "That will take you 12-14 years of studying Russian."

Solzhenitsyn is another one who did such a good job of capturing this time period. His Cancer Ward is probably in my top five books of all time.

Thanks. I will definitely check that out. I mean that.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I won't buy it until the mass market paperback comes out, but you can be assured it will be first rate.  

To me, Gabriel Allon is like an old friend that you only see once a year but once you start, it’s like you haven’t missed a beat. 

I read several authors religiously but none do I anticipate like the next Silva book 

• Like 1

Some of my favorite books (in no particular order):

Ready Player one - Ernest Cline

Outlaw Platoon - Sean parnell

The Martian - Andy Weir

The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown

The Turn of the Key - Ruth Ware

This Tender Land - William Kent Krueger

Bad Blood - John Carreyrou

Educated - Tara Westover

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Where Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens

The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah

The Codling of the American Mind - Jonathan Haidt

Only Killers and Thieves - Paul Howarth

Indianapolis - The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in the US Naval History - Lynn Vincent

The Spy and the Traitor - Ben Macintyre

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, Officer Obie said:

Isaac Babel.jpg

Russian and East European studies was one of my majors, read a lot of Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Nabokov, etc. Powerful stuff, the Russian literary style is amazing 

On 5/22/2020 at 11:53 AM, Lostin76 said:

Geez the bro crush grows lol. I studied Russian (did the summer workshops too, equivalent of 5 years while at IU) and Russian Literature within the Russian and East European Studies program. Nabokov and Dostoyevsky are my favorites but so many amazing Russian authors. When you read Russian literature and see the world from a Russian perspective it’s a whole different perspective. 

One of my favorite authors now - Martin Cruz Smith, Gorky Park and the other Inspector Arkady Renko books. He’s an American author but came up with the idea of the Renko books when in the USSR in the early 70s. He is, I think, one of the best writers of today, and not just in crime fiction. If you haven’t read his books give them a try. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Geez the bro crush grows lol. I studied Russian (did the summer workshops too, equivalent of 5 years while at IU) and Russian Literature within the Russian and East European Studies program. Nabokov and Dostoyevsky are my favorites but so many amazing Russian authors. When you read Russian literature and see the world from a Russian perspective it’s a whole different perspective. 

One of my favorite authors now - Martin Cruz Smith, Gorky Park and the other Inspector Arkady Renko books. He’s an American author but came up with the idea of the Renko books when in the USSR in the early 70s. He is, I think, one of the best writers of today, and not just in crime fiction. If you haven’t read his books give them a try. 

100%, man! Am such a huge fan of Russian Literature and history. And not sure about now, but IU's Russian program was one of the best in the biz back when I attended IU. I'm familiar with Smith's work, but it's been awhile and I don't think I've read anything outside of Gorky Park.

I'm in the middle of a huge Chekhov biography right now., but it's not exactly light summer reading.

I try to read Brothers K and/or Crime and Punishment at least once a year, but I've been slacking this year. It's not like I don't have the time during COVID!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, Naturalhoosier said:

Some of my favorite books (in no particular order):

Ready Player one - Ernest Cline

Outlaw Platoon - Sean parnell

The Martian - Andy Weir

The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown

The Turn of the Key - Ruth Ware

This Tender Land - William Kent Krueger

Bad Blood - John Carreyrou

Educated - Tara Westover

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Where Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens

The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah

The Codling of the American Mind - Jonathan Haidt

Only Killers and Thieves - Paul Howarth

Indianapolis - The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in the US Naval History - Lynn Vincent

The Spy and the Traitor - Ben Macintyre

My wife and I both read Tara Westover's Educated last year and both thought it was incredible. What a unique perspective and life. Also impressive that she got where she did with everything that happened.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 4:50 PM, Lostin76 said:

My wife and I both read Tara Westover's Educated last year and both thought it was incredible. What a unique perspective and life. Also impressive that she got where she did with everything that happened.

Highly recommended.

Her life story is fascinating for sure.  I love those types of stories.

• Like 1