Favorite book

KoB2011

I am halfway through Ken Follett's The Evening and the Morning. If you aren't familiar with Follett, he has written some incredible stories.  He specializes in period pieces with strong characterization.  This particular book is a prequel (4th book) to his Kingsbridge trilogy which was set in medieval England.  The trilogy covers 3 distinct time periods in the town of Kingsbridge.  While the setting is the same in all the stories, the characters vary because of the timeline.  Each book features 3-4 intertwined storylines.

He has another series called the Century trilogy that follows the same families from pre-WWI through the turn of the century.  Most of the first book is centered around WWI, the second around WWII, and the 3rd post WWII.  Unlike the Kingsbridge stories, there is significant crossover of characters although each book introduces new ones as the older characters age and die.

These books are epics.  They are very long (800+ pages in all of them), but you don't realize it because the books are so immersive.  I realized today I had reached the halfway point in this one and I was disappointed, because I don't want the book to end. 

If you've never read Follett, I would recommend starting with the Century Trilogy.  The timeline is more relatable and the appearance of the same characters in 2, and sometimes all 3 of the books, creates the appearance of it being one giant story, which it technically is.  The Kingsbridge series, while it is 4 distinct stories/timelines in the same setting, with a totally different set of characters in each, is extremely engrossing from a historical perspective about life during those times.   

I highly recommend all of these books, as well as several of his stand-alone works as well.  

The Evening And The Morning By Follett Ken

https://www.goodreads.com/series/60161-kingsbridge

https://www.goodreads.com/series/87392-the-century-trilogy

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am halfway through Ken Follett's The Evening and the Morning. If you aren't familiar with Follett, he has written some incredible stories.  He specializes in period pieces with strong characterization.  This particular book is a prequel (4th book) to his Kingsbridge trilogy which was set in medieval England.  The trilogy covers 3 distinct time periods in the town of Kingsbridge.  While the setting is the same in all the stories, the characters vary because of the timeline.  Each story features 3-4 intertwined storylines.

He has another series called the Century trilogy that follows the same families from pre-WWI through the turn of the century.  Most of the first book is centered around WWI, the second around WWII, and the 3rd post WWII.  Unlike the Kingsbridge stories, there is significant crossover of characters although each book introduces new ones as the older characters age and die.

These books are epics.  They are very long (800+ pages in all of them), but you don't realize it because the books are so immersive.  I realized today I had reached the halfway point in this one and I was disappointed, because I don't want the book to end. 

If you've never read Follett, I would recommend starting with the Century Trilogy.  The timeline is more relatable and the appearance of the same characters in 2, and sometimes all 3 of the books, creates the appearance of it being one giant story, which it technically is.  The Kingsbridge series, while it is 4 distinct stories/timelines in the same setting, with a totally different set of characters in each, is extremely engrossing from a historical perspective about life during those times.   

I highly recommend all of these books, as well as several of his stand-alone works as well.  

The Evening And The Morning By Follett Ken

https://www.goodreads.com/series/60161-kingsbridge

https://www.goodreads.com/series/87392-the-century-trilogy

I read a Dangerous Fortune by him over the summer. They are lengthy but you do learn a lot about the area and era where they take place. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I read a Dangerous Fortune by him over the summer. They are lengthy but you do learn a lot about the area and era where they take place. 

My 3 favorite standalone books of his are 

• A Dangerous Fortune (which you reference)
  • Night Over Water
  • A Place Called Freedom

Eye of the Needle is his best-known stand-alone book and is very good as well.  Some of his other stand-alone efforts are mediocre. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just finished the Jack Reacher book that came out this month. 

Lee Child writes them with his son now and they are now solely focused on cranking out new ones every 6 months. Book was ok but seem much shorter than the older ones.

Anyone have them on kindle? I'd love to know the word count for one these recent ones compared to the older ones. 

20221122_151646.jpg

Some of the better books I've read the last month or so (I've read 55 on the year thus far):

Surviving Savannah - Patti Callahan

Dog Company Six - Edwin Simmons

If I Never Get Back - Darryl Brock

Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family - Robert Kolker

The Children's Blizzard - Melanie Benjamin

Eternal - Lisa Scottoline

• Like 2

Just now, Naturalhoosier said:

It had been in my list to read but I had a hard time finding it. Finally bit the bullet and bought it. Was not disappointed at all. It’s def in my top 5/10. 

I have two copies.  After reading the original paperback 3 times, I bought a re-issued version for my son to do a book report on in high school.  Would not let him get near my original, which was showing age.  After he did his report, I read it again.  

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

I have two copies.  After reading the original paperback 3 times, I bought a re-issued version for my son to do a book report on in high school.  Would not let him get near my original, which was showing age.  After he did his report, I read it again.  

Great book to write a report on. I always try to put myself in the characters situation and I can’t imagine being thrust back in time like that. Losing all modern conveniences. Relearning the English language. That was the hardest part for me. Following along the 1860s nomenclature. Not a bad thing, made it real, slowed me down is all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I enjoyed The Lincoln Highway.  After reading it, I had a nice correspondence with the author.

51iLL4XTEjL._AC_SY780_.jpg

This was a decent book. I read it as well!    

If there are history buffs in the mix you might like The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West by David McCullough. It focuses on expansion along the Ohio River. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If anybody is a fan of science fiction, quantum physics, altered timelines, etc.  Recursion by Blake Crouch is one of my recent favorites. Such a fast and fun read. 

Good read.  His 'Dark Matter' book is excellent as well.  Have not read his Wayward Pines trilogy, though I did watch part of the first half of the TV series.  It was okay, but my intuition tells me the book series is probably more engrossing.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good read.  His 'Dark Matter' book is excellent as well.  Have not read his Wayward Pines trilogy, though I did watch part of the first half of the TV series.  It was okay, but my intuition tells me the book series is probably more engrossing.  

I have them (Dark Pines) on my list to check out. Just haven’t gotten there yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I read Dark Matter too, liked it, but not as much as Recursion. Some of the 'reoccurring parts' (I think you'll know what I mean.....just trying not to spoil for others) didn't feel as repetitive in Recursion as they did in Dark Matter. JMO. And having almost teenagers myself, there were parts that were just gut wrenching in Recursion, and other parts I was almost getting tears. Not to mention the huge action scenes were great....I would love to see that stuff in a movie. 

I was talking about the book with a friend who read it and after recapping some of the story, I thought: so much happened in 300+ pages that it felt like a 1,000 page book. That's a mark of a good read!

All in all, this was the best book I've read probably since Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir......which I will recommend again and 1,000 times more. 

I'm thinking about diving into Wayward Pines, but I too just did not like the television series. I could only handle 2 episodes before I called it quits.

• Like 1