Favorite book

KoB2011

• 1 month later...

Not necessarily my favorite book or anything, but I just finished the second book in Cormac McCarthy’s Border Trilogy - The Crossing. 

Man, that was tough read on the subway to finish. Was worried about the horse. And what about the dog??? Thought I was going to start crying like a little bitch about the horse. 

WAs really a great book, but emotionally draining for an animal lover for sure. Any other fans of those books. I’m about to start the first one, which I’ve also never read. All the Pretty Horses. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Not necessarily my favorite book or anything, but I just finished the second book in Cormac McCarthy’s Border Trilogy - The Crossing. 

Man, that was tough read on the subway to finish. Was worried about the horse. And what about the dog??? Thought I was going to start crying like a little bitch about the horse. 

WAs really a great book, but emotionally draining for an animal lover for sure. Any other fans of those books. I’m about to start the first one, which I’ve also never read. All the Pretty Horses. 

I cry about horses too, brother...Every time I look at my bank statement (J/K :) )

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I cry about horses too, brother...Every time I look at my bank statement (J/K :) )

Ha, I wondered if you would surface here. But man, this book made me really invested in the old horse Nino. Don’t want to give any spoilers in case people have not read though. BUT the Border Trilogy is probably some of the best Westerns I’ve read. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, I wondered if you would surface here. But man, this book made me really invested in the old horse Nino. Don’t want to give any spoilers in case people have not read though. BUT the Border Trilogy is probably some of the best Westerns I’ve read. 

Did you ever hear of this guy?  

My daughter trained under Harry deLeyer's son when we first moved here... Awesome story that any animal lover would like... 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:05 PM, 5fouls said:

My 3 favorite standalone books of his are 

• A Dangerous Fortune (which you reference)
  • Night Over Water
  • A Place Called Freedom

Eye of the Needle is his best-known stand-alone book and is very good as well.  Some of his other stand-alone efforts are mediocre. 

I’ll look for these 3

plus 

If I never get back 

random walk down Wall Street 

Onion field 

19 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Is The Road part of this trilogy?  I read that but didn’t realize it was part of a set (if it is). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Did you ever hear of this guy?  

My daughter trained under Harry deLeyer's son when we first moved here... Awesome story that any animal lover would like... 

No, but what a cool story. Rags to riches indeed. 

27 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Is The Road part of this trilogy?  I read that but didn’t realize it was part of a set (if it is). 

It’s not. The Border Trilogy is the following:

All the Pretty Horses

The Crossing

Cities of the Plain

Like you, I had read The Road, but had never read these books for some reason. Highly recommended so far. Like I said, the second one (the Crossing) was a heck of a gut punch at the end. Still can’t stop thinking about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

All the Pretty Horses

The Crossing

Cities of the Plain

Like you, I had read The Road, but had never read these books for some reason. Highly recommended so far. Like I said, the second one (the Crossing) was a heck of a gut punch at the end. Still can’t stop thinking about it. 

Good to know. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just finished both the latest Grisham book, Boys from Biloxi and the latest Baldacci book, Long Shadows which is the 7th in the Amos Decker series.

Love both writers 

I’ve read the Decker series. He needs to put that one to bed. I enjoy it but it’s run it’s course. The last few books have hinted at closure but never quite gets there.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. The book the movie and TV show Shooter is based on. Thought it was good enough to order the rest of the Bob Lee Swagger books. 

Reading Bad Luck and Trouble now. Another Reacher book. About 100 pages in and shaping up to be my favorite so far. 

• Like 2

Just finished Never Far Away by Bloomington native Michael Koryta.  He really excels at character development.  Dax Blackwell, who he introduced in If She Wakes and brings back in Never Far Away is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time.  He has written great stories in both the Thriller and Supernatural genres, including one set in French Lick (So Cold the River).  His books Those Who Wish Me Dead (starring Angelina Jolie) and So Cold the River had been made into movies.

https://www.michaelkoryta.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 11:21 AM, Lostin76 said:

All the Pretty Horses

The Crossing

Cities of the Plain

I love the Border Trilogy. He is such a good and devastating writer.

Obviously NCfOM is fantastic (coincidentally, the movie is probably my favorite of all time).

Have you checked out Blood Meridian? Soooooo good.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I love the Border Trilogy. He is such a good and devastating writer.

Obviously NCfOM is fantastic (coincidentally, the movie is probably my favorite of all time).

Have you checked out Blood Meridian? Soooooo good.

I just started the last of the trilogy - Cities of the Plain. And it’s pretty cool that the two main characters from the first two books are in it. I’m still kind of scarred from ending of Book Two with the Billy Parnham and the dog. That was rough. 

I have a copy of Blood Meridian that I’m going to read next. 

There’s just something so compelling about the sparse dialog and the back and forth between characters. That and the descriptions of the land they are passing through. Really great stuff! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was probably a bit too young to fully understand Tom Clancy books when I first read them. I never read them all so started with a new to me one. 

Without Remorse so far has been a pretty good read. But other than a couple character names the movie is a completely different story. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was probably a bit too young to fully understand Tom Clancy books when I first read them. I never read them all so started with a new to me one. 

Without Remorse so far has been a pretty good read. But other than a couple character names the movie is a completely different story. 

I read one of the early Clancy books back when it first came out.  It was a little too technical for me at the time and I've never gone back to them.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I started reading Clancy when I was in Greenland... When I got back home I read through "Without Remorse" because my wife would buy them as presents... We both started college around that time, so I had enough reading from that to keep me busy 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

I get bored reading a book series straight through so I like to switch it up.  I found this today, A War Too Far: A Vietnam War Novel (The Airmen Series Book 1) by David Corley.  It begins with the OSS in Vietnam at the end of WW2.  Its historical fiction but now has me wanting to learn some Vietnam war history I'm not familiar with.

What would I do without Amazon Kindle?

Edited by mrflynn03

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What would I do without Amazon Kindle?

I've never gone electronic.  I still have to hold the book. I prefer the smaller paperback size to hardbacks and large paperbacks.  Frustrating because those are becoming less and less common.

Part of the allure for me is actually going to the bookstore and browsing.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've never gone electronic.  I still have to hold the book. I prefer the smaller paperback size to hardbacks and large paperbacks.  Frustrating because those are becoming less and less common.

Part of the allure for me is actually going to the bookstore and browsing.  

I have both.  Like you, I like having a book, something about the smell and feel of it.  I also, prefer paperback.  Easier to handle and can fit in a back pocket.

The benefit of electronic for me is storage space. 

• Like 1