Ball State Postgame Thread

KDB

I didn’t get to watch the game . I did listen to the game. I am not to concerned with the receivers. They are proven group and I think the drops will improve right away. Not running the ball concerns me more. I hope we can fix that. I was more disappointed in the defense I guess I was expecting a more dominant effort. My favorite defensive Is M Ball and he had a really bad game very uncharacteristic of him. So I think that will improve fast also! Go Hoosiers! We’re 1 an 0 . 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/31/2019 at 6:32 PM, milehiiu said:

Coach Allen, in the post game video, I linked below, was pleased with the offensive play calling.

In terms of the poor tackling on defense.  Coach Allen said that can be corrected. 

On 8/31/2019 at 6:23 PM, coachv said:

ellis looks like he's going to be something. grady-mcball needs to get his emotions a little under control

Agreed. I hope that was literally Ball's last horrible showing, especially with the pointless penalties.He put too much energy into the "extracurricular" stuff, and not enough focus into doing his job out there..

My cousin went up to the game, and apparently had good enough seats to hear Ball St players talking a lot of trash, but a veteran starter needs to understand they set an example, and that isn't the example IU needs out of him at all with so many young defenders looking up to him..  

What stood out most to me  about the day Ellis had was how on the long return negated by offsetting fouls, he came right back with another good return on the rekick.Tbat was a really mature play to put the previous attempt behind him and go right back at it.

Also despite the drops and picks, they did a good job of actually securing the ball on receptions, runs, and returns. Losing fumbles on top of INTs ,would have put even more pressure on the defense, so I hope avoiding them increasingly beones part of their identity as a team moving forward. So that was a plus knowing CTA demands that of them.

In the same breath I hoped the defense would get some strips resulting in Cards fumbles. Also recall at least one definite pick go off an IU defender's hands so just need to force more TOs and execute when they appear to have one in hand..Better rush up front early on and who knows ...but the QB pressure came on a bit late.

A side nite on BSU I really liked Riley Neal at WR, and Plitt was much better at QB than I expexted for the Cards.I thought he might be more deer in the headlights but credit his preparation and his Oline with keeping him upright most of the game..Their back Hundley? ,was it ,? kept fighting and I liked seeing them give IU a good fight - in a losing effort- since it would have been less beneficial for IU's growth if any opponent just rolls over and dies once they get behind..Despite a lot of blame on IU for leaving the door cracked for a potential comeback- Credit Neu and his staff on a nice job prepping them for the game and their team for not giving up at any point,. Especially in coming right back and answering Indiana scoring drives.On to the next one.Go IU!!

Another thing I hadn't thought of until now is that we didn't have the usual first game suspensions we have seen the last handful of years.  I really think Allen's LEO mantra and his overall character and recruiting is being beneficial off the field.

It seems weird to go into week 2 with no suspensions, and no major injuries.  Hopefully the same holds true after this week and we're full strength for OSU.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I didnt realize until today that Ball St had 20 returning starters. 

I didn't realize that until right now!

They looked better than I expected.  With losing their starting QB to transfer, I expected them to be more down, but Plitt was really solid.  Kind of reminded me of Ramsey.  Not spectacular and struggles when trying to bring a team back, but will keep a team in a game and win a few.

Archived