2020 Open spot left

68Hoosier

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Crean landed a four star and two three stars in his much-maligned last recruiting class, which isn’t all that different from the class Archie has put together for 2020 at this point (not to mention the fact that the 2017 class is going to get a lot of minutes this season on a team that many here think is massively underrated).  Landing a guy like Garcia changes the picture, but the bottom line is any college basketball coach in the country would be able to attract top 100 talent to IU given the resources and stature of the program.

But to your other points, the in-state recruiting has been much better, and hopefully Archie is able to better maintain class balance and roster stability, which seems to be happening.  I agree that 2021 seems to be the year things can really take off.  A senior Phinisee and freshman Lander would be one of the best backcourts IU has ever had, and then you’d potentially have a lot of talented upperclassmen in Thompson, Anderson, Hunter, TJD, and Franklin, barring any early departures.  The solid 2020 class would have a year of experience as well.  I think the best case scenario is IU making the tournament this year, putting itself in the mix for a conference championship in 2020, and being a Final Four contender in 2021.

I don't know how many stars half these guys were...I do know Crean left us with a back court of Newkirk and Johnson....the worst I think we've ever had not counting the violation era. Crean had some diamonds and solid recruits...but we never really had a bench during his time....and typically when the few stars he hit on left he didn't have guys ready to step in and replace them. Look I'm not going to hate on Justin...he had and has a lot of potential. Al...what can I say..kid has heart...great kid..but I don't think he is the quality we should be shooting for at IU. First off he is on the smaller side for a wing imo and he is not a natural shooter or even scorer. He would be a great defensive spark off the bench but I think we could do better and Archie is showing that. Moore...a big that can't defend or play in the post. Maybe by his senior year he could have given us something...but I doubt it. I look at the bigs that Archie brought in and all are better (even Forrester and Fitz played a role) and Race and Trayce and Brunk can all bang down low. Speaking of Brunk do we think Crean would bring in a kid like him? Anyways...don't want to make this a bash Crean thing. My real problem was his undisciplined offense and defense mindset. I just didn't care for the loose way we played..and especially the turnovers and lack of urgency on the defensive end.

As for your second part...agree!!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don't know how many stars half these guys were...I do know Crean left us with a back court of Newkirk and Johnson....the worst I think we've ever had not counting the violation era. Crean had some diamonds and solid recruits...but we never really had a bench during his time....and typically when the few stars he hit on left he didn't have guys ready to step in and replace them. Look I'm not going to hate on Justin...he had and has a lot of potential. Al...what can I say..kid has heart...great kid..but I don't think he is the quality we should be shooting for at IU. First off he is on the smaller side for a wing imo and he is not a natural shooter or even scorer. He would be a great defensive spark off the bench but I think we could do better and Archie is showing that. Moore...a big that can't defend or play in the post. Maybe by his senior year he could have given us something...but I doubt it. I look at the bigs that Archie brought in and all are better (even Forrester and Fitz played a role) and Race and Trayce and Brunk can all bang down low. Speaking of Brunk do we think Crean would bring in a kid like him? Anyways...don't want to make this a bash Crean thing. My real problem was his undisciplined offense and defense mindset. I just didn't care for the loose way we played..and especially the turnovers and lack of urgency on the defensive end.

As for your second part...agree!!

I think it's important to note that most of Archie's recruits haven't had the chance to fail yet. Justin can frustrate because he remains mostly unrealized potential two years in, but he was a top 80 recruit, ranked as good or better than Jordan Geronimo. Like Justin, Geronimo also earned his rank mostly because of what the scouts think he can become rather than what he is right now.

We know now that Clifton Moore didn't work out, but on paper he was a top 150 four-star recruit with a skill set that sparked some NBA talk before he arrived on campus. On paper he was every bit as enticing as Jake Forrester or Damezi Anderson, comparably rated recruits Archie brought in who haven't worked out (yet) either.

For all the shade given to Al Durham, you're still talking about the guy who started 30 games last season, played the third most minutes behind only Romeo and Juwan, and projects to be a key part of the rotation against next season. It's an odd claim that Archie showing us he can do better when he's still relying heavily on Al Durham. It's a statement that can't be supported until Franklin, Leal and Galloway take the court, and we see what we have in those pieces.

As for Brunk, yes of course Crean would have brought in a kid like him. Brunk had an offer from Indiana before he ever had an offer from Butler. I don't even know what your question is supposed to mean.

Of course we're excited for the new commits of the 2020 class. But we get excited for everyone before we see them play. Robert Johnson, half of that backcourt you called the worst we've ever had, was a top 50 prospect, a fast riser, and said to be one of the best shooting prospects in his class. If you don't think he ever met those expectations, then it's worth turning that same critical eye toward your expectations for the kids Archie is bringing in. Remember when Fitzner and Damezi were going to be the sharpshooters this team needed? Remember when Jake Forrester was going to be a pogo-stick energy guy off the bench? Every coach has misses. We won't know how successful Archie actually is at building these 2019 and 2020 classes until we see how this talent develops.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Off the top of my head.  Indiana. State Fair Community College. South West Missouri. Trinity. And Bethel. 

Worst thing to ever happen to Gelon was getting the IU offer from Crean.  He was no more a B1G player than I would have been at his age.  He wasn't even the best player on his Crown Point team.  That was Sasha V???? who's playing at Purdue.  

3 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

Worst thing to ever happen to Gelon was getting the IU offer from Crean.  He was no more a B1G player than I would have been at his age.  He wasn't even the best player on his Crown Point team.  That was Sasha V???? who's playing at Purdue.  

If he was smart he would have taken his sneakers over to the hper and played some rec league on that Bill of Rights scholarship.

50 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not just Indiana. Or Trinity.  Same thing happened at South West Missouri.

And Bethel is undergoing a coaching change since last season when it parted company with Ryne Lightfoot last spring but Gelon would have been aware of that when he committed to Bethel in August.   Still.............

2 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

And Bethel is undergoing a coaching change since last season when it parted company with Ryne Lightfoot last spring but Gelon would have been aware of that when he committed to Bethel in August.   Still.............

Correct.

Can honestly say. I have never seen anything like it before. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Easy there........ They are NAIA and a Christian College but always very solid and competitive basketball team. They are usually in the top ten nationally every year.

It was just a joke for Daviess county locals.  Bethel Mennonite is a local church to me and has probably fed a bunch of kids into the North Daviess and Barr-Reeve high school programs.

Archived