California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act'

tdhoosier

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What would worry me is that the UK and Dukes of the world could stock pile more players by taking players who might go to a UVA or UW.  If they can offer those players more money and they don't care about playing time it could cause other teams losing out on those kind of players.

I don't think this is very likely to happen because then they'll hurt their draft projections, thus, hurt their future earnings potential. 

One thing I would like to see the NCAA do is making it easier for the players parents to attend games especially NCAA tournament games.  I saw with Aaron Henry's father they could not afford to go the first two weekends of the tournament so they should allow them money to go to those games.  They were able to go to the final four because the stipend for that was enough for them to be able to afford to go.

Just now, IU Scott said:

One thing I would like to see the NCAA do is making it easier for the players parents to attend games especially NCAA tournament games.  I saw with Aaron Henry's father they could not afford to go the first two weekends of the tournament so they should allow them money to go to those games.  They were able to go to the final four because the stipend for that was enough for them to be able to afford to go.

Well, that could be considered a living expense?

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don't think this is very likely to happen because then they'll hurt their draft projections, thus, hurt their future earnings potential. 

Some of those guys I am talking about was not sure fire one and done players coming out of school.  Those players might be willing to sit a year or two if they are getting more money.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:52 PM, iuthruandthru said:

Let athletes that can be one and done now go to the pros.  But no one should be allowed to say I can’t make money because I’m good at something.  I don’t think the colleges should pay these athletes either.  But I should be able to control my opportunities and who wants to give me money.

many college athletes in certain sports need colleges to develop their skills as their are limited or no professional options. for wrestlers, the olympics is their pinnacle and no wrestler goes to the olympics out of high school. yet the top collegiate wrestlers could potentially earn a lot of endorsement money. 6 figures. swimmers, divers, gymnasts, track and field, etc. there's a lot to think about here and it doesn't seem like california has thought this through sufficiently

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

While true, is this really going to happen? You're talking ONE MILLION DOLLARS (said like Dr. Evil). I know boosters are crazy but their not going to be blowing a million dollars year after year on a recruit that will attend college for 1 year. That's 'corporation' endorsement dollars; and the thing about corporations who have that much money to spend is that they have shareholders to answer to. 

The market will stabilize itself if boosters get involved. And you know what? The programs with a lot of booster money, are the same programs who already get the best recruits.

I would have paid Zion a million to play at IU, wouldnt  you? Pretty  sure Duke did.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some of those guys I am talking about was not sure fire one and done players coming out of school.  Those players might be willing to sit a year or two if they are getting more money.

Still don't see it. Don't think the athletes would want to do this and not sure why you think Duke has so much more booster money than other universities. You think the boosters of UNC, IU, Kansas, UK, Syracuse, Lousilville, etc. are going to sit there and let Duke stockpile athletes? This is what I mean when I say the market will eventually stabilize itself. 

15 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Scott, the NCAA is going to get steam rolled by this. As soon as California passes it into law, other states are going to follow very quickly.  The NCAA has done nothing except set back and get rich for years. They are about to figure out what its like to share

the schools won't be sharing because they aren't the ones who will be paying.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

If I was a millionaire? HELLLLLL NO. Call me cheap or not a 'true fan'. haha. That's hard earned money! Zion didn't even win a championship!

But, but I am sure it could have been a tax write-off for ya!  Think outside the box...and keep those receipts.  LOL

2 hours ago, rico said:

Maybe the colleges shouldn't exploit their athletes?  Here is a novel idea, how about paying them a percentage of what the schools make off of them?  Crazy huh?

so only football and basketball players get paid? and football players at penn st will make 20 times what one at indiana makes. great idea

1 hour ago, rico said:

The answer is and has been obvious.  Either do it the NFL way or do it the MLB way and CBB would be better for it.  Because basketball is where most of this comes from.  We have been over it countless times on this forum.

Yeah, I understand that.  I also understand that you have to have cooperation between the NCAA and NBA for that to work.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

That is the thing.  Big issue with the basketball side of things.

I don't think it is so much the NBA who would not do the MLB model but it is the players association.  I heard the NBA commissioner talk about how a lot of the owners want to raise the age than lower it.

44 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

While true, is this really going to happen? You're talking ONE MILLION DOLLARS (said like Dr. Evil). I know boosters are crazy but their not going to be blowing a million dollars year after year on a recruit that will attend college for 1 year. That's 'corporation' endorsement dollars; and the thing about corporations who have that much money to spend is that they have shareholders to answer to. 

The market will stabilize itself if boosters get involved. And you know what? The programs with a lot of booster money, are the same programs who already get the best recruits.

nike is very involved with the university of oregon. if this law goes through, nike can offer every basketball recruit 1 million per year for an endorsement deal to make sure oregon is the best program in the country. football, too. nike loves some track and oregon is already among the best. nike has virtually limitless funds for this. forget about donors. the bidding will be during recruiting. even if there is a stipulation that no endorsement deals can be signed before a recruit signs with an institution, that won't mean squat. if a recruit sees an obvious track record for endorsement money at a particular school, that will be enough.

these endorsement deals can also be put in place before a recruit signs. who would enforce how the money gets delivered to the athlete. the ncaa won't have any jurisdiction. no body of governance will have jurisdiction. just pure capitalistic highest offer wins. 

fair market value for an endorsement? throw that concept out the window. it's whatever the market is willing to pay. and those providing the money to the athletes in many cases will not care less if they get a return on their "investment". take a guy like t. boone pickens. was worht about a half trillion dollars. big oklahoma state guy. like wrestling, too. he could offer $200k to each wrestler on the squad. think for a moment okla. st. would not have the best team in the ncaa? now that he is gone, he could still leave a trust to do the same. he could set up a trust and make sure his entire estate gave 6 figure endorsement deals for every basketball, football, and wrestling athlete to be paid for the next 50 years. 

think about this. in some instances college athletes in major sports will be able to make more playing college than the nba or the nfl. say mark cuban offers james blackmon $300k to endorse wickets if he stays for his senior season. think he doesn't stay. 

open this can of worms and you will have the biggest clustercuss in college sports.

Archived