brad stevens has already revamped romeo's shot

coachv

On 10/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, BDB said:

IMO - the shooting woes are caused by the shoes. The soles are different thickness making players taller/ shorter messing with their shot.  This is just an observation, not factual.  Maybe something to look into though. 

that's the funnies thing i've read here

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Let me add to the conversation.  Coaching is not making robots out of players.  There are different philosophies to shooting a basketball, like there are hitting a baseball.  Some coaches do not care about the items you are mentioning and all they care about is the alignment of the shoulder, hip and shooting big toe.  Some will pick on the items you are mentioning.  Personally, I have been to enough clinics and been around enough coaches where the good ones allow players to have differences with style, while working on teaching a philosophy.  There is no doubt small corrections are being made by all staffs that ever sat the sideline.  It is also important to understand reps lead to success - every player knows that.  From my experience as well, coaches who only teach one way to shoot use that as a comfort zone to teach.

Let's look at the pic attached.  We can pull up many examples of successful shooters who had differences.  In th pic attached, both have top shooting coaches and workout together and analyze together; however, differences in form still exist.  Both really good shooters. 

Anderson has a shot that is good for him, and he will be successful.  

main-qimg-30a9df135d66ea8a37b8c9544f701841.jpeg

you can't use this still frame for a comparison because the guy who is not curry is further along in his release. any attempt to draws conclusions would be misguided. after saying that, let me add they do appear to be strikingly similar

15 minutes ago, coachv said:

welcome. i did not know archie's team historically shoot below average. any specifics? did i have insight into archie? he plays things so close to the vest i have little feel for him and how he motivates. i do have high hopes, against my better judgement. btw, this place has a pretty low tolerance for insults and cursing i think

Not that I'm planning to run my mouth, lol. Archie's teams at Dayton have hovered around 35% (some years better)  from 3, around 68% ish from the line, and around 45-47% FG%. Is that good or bad? Certainly I know the free throw shooting is low.

1 minute ago, coachv said:

you can't use this still frame for a comparison because the guy who is not curry is further along in his release. any attempt to draws conclusions would be misguided. after saying that, let me add they do appear to be strikingly similar

There is for sure differences.  Let's use someone that even today's generation has heard of being a good shooter.

Bird Launching.jpg

4 hours ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

Thank you, Sir. HSN Chancellor Emeritus? LOL. I'll have to learn the culture.

It's no big deal.  Just means I am old and have been put out to pasture.  LOL

Announcing a new position - Announcements - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

I know you will find Hoosier Sports Nation a welcoming community of great IU fans and moderators.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Imo, when Archie said get more reps or whatever exactly he said, it was code for put in work.   It's like of course,  idiot reporter question, we are trying to improve,  while at the same time saying, if you want Olidipo results you have to do Olidipo work.  

Yeah, I think fans put WAY too much stock into the things a coach says to the media, and we have a tendency to hear one line a coach says and then run with it as gospel. Because his answer to that one question that time was “you just have to get reps”, doesn’t mean the staff isn’t teaching form, tweaking things, and all that their doing is ‘getting reps’. 

12 hours ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

Hey coachv, Hoosier Charm 87 here (formerly ForeverIU from ITH). Conversed with you on The Daily Hoosier a couple of weeks ago, and thanks for referring me to this site. Anyway, and I'm kinda late to this conversation, but I actually got skewered in a conversation today for suggesting that Leal's intent to make 500 3's a day in practice is not something to necessarily celebrate outright. Your insight into Archie is also interesting, and I wonder if this might have something to do with his teams not being great shooting teams (historically). I found this interesting piece that you can Google if you like: "How taking 51,600 shots made me a worse basketball shooter". Look forward to "hanging out" more on this site, although I'm still trying to find my way around.

Welcome to the board!

Agree with your general point on the 500 3’s a day. For any player, it’s great that they’re in the gym working, but how hard are they going? What are the conditions in which they’re taking these shots? Are they game speed or are they just walking around at a slow pace? Is there any resistance or just open shots with a rebounder, etc,? The devil is in the details on how effective these things are. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Welcome to the board!

Agree with your general point on the 500 3’s a day. For any player, it’s great that they’re in the gym working, but how hard are they going? What are the conditions in which they’re taking these shots? Are they game speed or are they just walking around at a slow pace? Is there any resistance or just open shots with a rebounder, etc,? The devil is in the details on how effective these things are. 

Precisely, thank you for understanding what a nuanced process it is. I'm certainly not the expert to know the details of effective shooting drills, especially when there might not be an expert or coach on hand, but I am an educator, and I know how quality of preparation is just as important as quantity. The article I mentioned in my previous comment is very informative in how it fleshes out the details of how players can most effectively plan their practice shooting sessions. 

43 minutes ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

Precisely, thank you for understanding what a nuanced process it is. I'm certainly not the expert to know the details of effective shooting drills, especially when there might not be an expert or coach on hand, but I am an educator, and I know how quality of preparation is just as important as quantity. The article I mentioned in my previous comment is very informative in how it fleshes out the details of how players can most effectively plan their practice shooting sessions. 

Charm. You have mentioned that you need to learn the culture of the board.  I am willing to help you.  By way of introducing you to some of our members.  BGleas did not play for the Boston Celtics.  But did spend several years working for and with the Celtics. He is one, among many members. Who. When they post. It is good to pay attention to. As they do know the game.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Charm. You have mentioned that you need to learn the culture of the board.  I am willing to help you.  By way of introducing you to some of our members.  BGleas did not play for the Boston Celtics.  But did spend several years working for and with the Celtics. He is one, among many members. Who. When they post. It is good to pay attention to. As they do know the game.

Wow, thanks! Did he work for / with the Celtics with Brad Stevens on board? Please feel free to direct me (culturally or otherwise) whenever you see fit.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

Wow, thanks! Did he work for / with the Celtics with Brad Stevens on board? Please feel free to direct me (culturally or otherwise) whenever you see fit.

Check your mailbox.  It's should be green now.  In the upper right hand corner of the header.

Archived