let's make some changes to hoosier hysteria

coachv

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

None taken!  Maybe im wrong but dont the recruits get to sit through practice and get some court time with the players?? I've set through a ton of practices as a parent, shiz gets pretty boring after a bit.  I dont think putting on a snooze fest, in front of your prized recruits is the brightest thing to do. 

what level of practices did you sit through? i never let parents or anyone else into mine. just the occasional visit from the a.d.

6 minutes ago, coachv said:

having a good time is subjective. your idea of having a good time is watching players dance and throw t-shirts to the crowd. mine is watching miller coach in practice. perhaps there is a type of recruit who feels the same way and would benefit the program more

Not what I said at all but for the majority of the people in the building they don't want to watch a 2 hour regular practice.  I was there in the stands at midnight watching RMK mid night madness practices that last 2.5 hours.  I can tell you the crowd for those were way less than what we have seen the last 15 years of HH.  I like you are old school but I have learned that if you keep living in the past you will be passed by and it appears that has happened to IU basketball.  Old school coaches like Izzo and coach K has kept up with the times and do the entertainment stuff and still be considered old school.   Most recruits today does not want to come to HH to see a practice but see how the fans are in AH and you get a better atmosphere in the arena when you do things like they do at AH.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I get what you are saying but you are not realizing what HH is all about and it is not about just true basketball.  You think the recruits will want to see maybe a 1,000 die hard fans watching a two hour practice.

maybe. i would if i were a recruit. what i suggested is not a practice. it is festive. it just incorporates some real drills. i don't think watching trayce, and deron doing full court free-style dribbling would be boring. if only one thousand fans showed up, what does that say about indiana fans? i would much rather attend an open practice, even if i was the only attendee, than another of the same dunking and 3 point shooting contests we have seen for 40 years

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Not what I said at all but for the majority of the people in the building they don't want to watch a 2 hour regular practice.  I was there in the stands at midnight watching RMK mid night madness practices that last 2.5 hours.  I can tell you the crowd for those were way less than what we have seen the last 15 years of HH.  I like you are old school but I have learned that if you keep living in the past you will be passed by and it appears that has happened to IU basketball.  Old school coaches like Izzo and coach K has kept up with the times and do the entertainment stuff and still be considered old school.   Most recruits today does not want to come to HH to see a practice but see how the fans are in AH and you get a better atmosphere in the arena when you do things like they do at AH.

i suppose. that's why what i suggested is not a 2 hour practice

1 minute ago, coachv said:

maybe. i would if i were a recruit. what i suggested is not a practice. it is festive. it just incorporates some real drills. i don't think watching trayce, and deron doing full court free-style dribbling would be boring. if only one thousand fans showed up, what does that say about indiana fans? i would much rather attend an open practice, even if i was the only attendee, than another of the same dunking and 3 point shooting contests we have seen for 40 years

the did have a skill competition and a shooting competition during HH.

15 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

It needs to be short and sweet. Keep the event flowing and the excitement up... Recruits come to hang out and have a good time, not watch ball handling drills.  

there are a lot of fun dribbling drills. ever play dribble tag?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I haven't watched any of the HH videos, other than the short scrimmage clip. Just my opinion, but this event isn't meant for us. We're the hardcore fans that over analyze everything, follow everything, breakdown X's and O's, etc.

Midnight Madness, Hoosier Hysteria, whatever you want to call it, isn't meant for analyzing the improvements in shooting form or seeing if we'll be setting more off-ball screens, etc. It's meant to fire up the casual fan, get the students excited for the season and put on a show for recruits. It's not meant for the 1% of the fan base to see which ball handling drills the coach is emphasizing this season to limit turnovers. 

If I remember correctly, they have a couple open practices/scrimmages later on for the basketball nerds like us. 

In my opinion, you go all in on the entertainment for this event. I'm not saying you get Snoop Dog, but I am saying you make it a show. You make it like the NBA All-Star Saturday night. Again, I haven't watched the clips so I'm not sure why the Skills Competition didn't work, but I do know at NBA All-Star Weekend the skills comp is one of the best to watch. Maybe this year the skills comp for IU lost some luster because Green and Phinisee were out. I'd bet it would be pretty cool if they both were healthy and active participants, probably the same of the 3pt comp. 

The NBA also does a pretty cool shooting competition where they have teams of 3 that are comprised of a current NBA player, a current WNBA player and a legend. This could be a cool way to incorporate past players. You bring back the Cheaney's, Bailey's, Graham's, etc. and put them on teams with a current male and female player and mirror the NBA shooting comp they do. 

Then you do the 3pt, dunk and a short scrimmage, and I would also have a concert following. Give a reason for the students to stay, make it a true event. The concert doesn't have to be Snoop Dog, but I'm sure IU has concerts throughout the year, why not plan one for this?

I'm a basketball pureist, I love watching the X's and O's, breaking them down, etc., but this is Hoosier Hysteria, it's not meant for that. 

if i lived in indiana, i would definitely go to an open practice. i just don't get the dunk and 3 pt contest. been watching them for 30 years and haven't seen anything new. yet you still suggest keeping it the same. to me, it is the epitome of boring. and for the record, i never suggested conducting a 2 hour practice so i don't know why people keep saying i did. and the drills i would select would have entertainment value

7 minutes ago, coachv said:

if i lived in indiana, i would definitely go to an open practice. i just don't get the dunk and 3 pt contest. been watching them for 30 years and haven't seen anything new. yet you still suggest keeping it the same. to me, it is the epitome of boring. and for the record, i never suggested conducting a 2 hour practice so i don't know why people keep saying i did. and the drills i would select would have entertainment value

Like I said they had a shooting and a skills competition and they did not even have a 3 point shooting contest.  They did have a dunk contest which only lasted 20 minutes and a 8 minute scrimmage.  Again this is for entertainment purposes only and they are catering this to the majority of the people who attend these events.  Most coaches say they do this for the fans and two hours later they come back and have a real practice.

The execution of "Midnight Madness" or however each team wants to brand it has changed, but it's always been an event geared towards the casual fan/general student. 

Initially, yes, there were a lot of practice-type drills and such.  Because that's initially what it was: the first practice of the season, at 12:01AM on the first eligible day.  Fans liked it, because most casual fans/general students either have never seen a high-level basketball practice, or if they have, haven't seen one for awhile.  For the first few years, that was fine.  It was a new concept.  But kids that grew up with it and attended these events or watched them on TV began to have years of seeing the same thing.  Again, remember, these are casual fans.  So programs began throwing a little flash and dash in.  And over time, the "practice" element began to fade, and it evolved into a beginning of the season event vs a "practice". 

I'll be totally honest: I'm a relatively serious fan, and I don't know if I'd watch what you're proposing.  I enjoy seeing strategies executed both on a team and individual level during games, but that's because it's being done in the context of the excitement of the game.  Take away that excitement, that element of winning and losing, and it doesn't hold my interest as much.  But, rather than come and leave early to an event like that, I just wouldn't come.  Now you mention that a recruit might enjoy seeing drills and such, and they might.  But it loses its luster if it's in front of only a few hundred people.  If a recruit is undecided, and this is their impression of our fanbase, that's not going to come across positively either.  Who wants to play in front of a few hundred people?

It's ok if this isn't your event.  Maybe it isn't meant to be.  Hell, it's not my event either.  Again, I'm a fairly serious fan, and I really don't have a desire to watch it.  I'll catch it on YouTube at some point when I'm bored, but it isn't a huge priority. 

The comparison to hardcore vs casual fans of a band is perfect.  At an intimate gathering, I'm sure musicians would love sitting around with hardcore fans and BS about different guitar tunings or techniques with their hardcore fans.  But "Hey man, I love your music.  You guys rock!", as you're walking out of an arena probably doesn't get old either.  And that's why there are events for both.  If you'd enjoy an open practice vs Hoosier Hysteria more, then go to the open practice and skip Hoosier Hysteria.  Nobody is going to revoke your fan card.  Personally, I'd skip both, but I'll be tuned right in as soon as that first regular season game is ready to tip.  But understand the purpose behind and event like this.  It always has been a casual fan event. 

27 minutes ago, coachv said:

Most people equate "drills" with "practice".

And keep in mind, "entertainment" is subjective.  There are things I personally find entertaining that would put most people to sleep.  And there are things that a lot of people find genuinely entertaining that make me want to claw my eyeballs out.  Your definition of basketball-based entertainment probably differs from most because of your background. 

2 hours ago, coachv said:

Again, this event isn't for 'you', it's a fan interest event targeted to casual fans, students and recruits to kick off the season. For the recruits that want to see practices, that is a thing that happens all the time as well. It's not like Lander missed out on seeing a practice, the team practiced while he was there too. I did suggest something new, a combined womens', men's and alumni shooting contest. They do it at NBA All-Star weekend and it's really fun. It keeps the pace going and it keeps fan interest because of the male, femal, alumni aspect. 

If you're going to have the stage that they added this year, which I liked, then have some live entertainment to keep the fans into when switching between the event aspects, etc. 

They have open practices for people like us that want to dive into the minutia of a practice, see drills and watch what the staff focuses on, etc. That's not what this is. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, this event isn't for 'you', it's a fan interest event targeted to casual fans, students and recruits to kick off the season. For the recruits that want to see practices, that is a thing that happens all the time as well. It's not like Lander missed out on seeing a practice, the team practiced while he was there too. I did suggest something new, a combined womens', men's and alumni shooting contest. They do it at NBA All-Star weekend and it's really fun. It keeps the pace going and it keeps fan interest because of the male, femal, alumni aspect. 

If you're going to have the stage that they added this year, which I liked, then have some live entertainment to keep the fans into when switching between the event aspects, etc. 

They have open practices for people like us that want to dive into the minutia of a practice, see drills and watch what the staff focuses on, etc. That's not what this is. 

They did have a DJ playing before the festivities and played music during the scrimmage

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They did have a DJ playing before the festivities and played music during the scrimmage

Dang it.  With OG on the Raptors, you'd think we'd have the connection to get Drake in the house to put on a performance.  We gotta keep up with KU and Snoop Dog. The connection is there.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

the did have a skill competition and a shooting competition during HH.

was the shooting competition the 3 pt contest or something different? i saw pics of a zig zag dribbling drill around indiana state cutouts culminating in a chest pass thru a hole. is that it and is that all?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said they had a shooting and a skills competition and they did not even have a 3 point shooting contest.  They did have a dunk contest which only lasted 20 minutes and a 8 minute scrimmage.  Again this is for entertainment purposes only and they are catering this to the majority of the people who attend these events.  Most coaches say they do this for the fans and two hours later they come back and have a real practice.

i saw video off aljami shooting 3's off of racks from 4 spots on the floor. was that not a 3 point contest?

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

i think it would be cool to let some alumni players play in the scrimmage. maybe two per team. they weren't playing any defense anyway. cal should have dressed

9 minutes ago, coachv said:

was the shooting competition the 3 pt contest or something different? i saw pics of a zig zag dribbling drill around indiana state cutouts culminating in a chest pass thru a hole. is that it and is that all?

the shooting competition was a girl and a boy player on a team and they each shot from 4 racks and the team with the most points advanced.  the skills competition was dribbling down the court zig zagging and then making a chest pass through a target.  Then they went back down the court to do a layup anf go back to shoot a 3 and whoever did all of this first won.

15 hours ago, coachv said:

i think indiana fans need to stop pretending to be a special breed of basketball fan. let's just hand out only10 scorecards upon entrance and let the dunkng begin!

Lol agree. Since the departure of RMK, this has become what is supposed to be, a day of fan celebration for the upcoming season. Many can't drop the money to bring an entire family to watch a game. HH gives a chance for the young fans to have some fun watching the players in a relaxed enviorment. The louder and raucous the crowd, the better. Gives recruits a sense of the fandom. A boring (to most) 1.5hr practice though beneficial, would put many to sleep lol. The more smoke, lights and music...the better for what HH has become and what is intended.

2 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Lol agree. Since the departure of RMK, this has become what is supposed to be, a day of fan celebration for the upcoming season. Many can't drop the money to bring an entire family to watch a game. HH gives a chance for the young fans to have some fun watching the players in a relaxed enviorment. The louder and raucous the crowd, the better. Gives recruits a sense of the fandom. A boring (to most) 1.5hr practice though beneficial, would put many to sleep lol. The more smoke, lights and music...the better for what HH has become and what is intended.

bring back moye to play in scrimmage. one of my all-time faves

16 hours ago, coachv said:

sure, let them watch a bunch of routine dunks getting scored with all 10's and a scrimmage with less defense than the last game of the day of an aau summer league game. me? i'd rather glean what i could for watching how miller's staff instruct the players. you are proof that indiana fans are no more knowledgeable about the game than any other fans and prefer to follow the bouncing ball, no offense. i think in honor of indiana's great tradition of basketball, hoosier hysteria should be closer to a regular practice that fans are allowed to attend. not some pimped out circus led mc'd by the likes of snoop dog, but i'm old that way

Did you ever attend when Knight was coach?

Archived