5 most important players for IU this season ?

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Not that the question was addressed to me, but I will answer. 

I have seen Devonte shine consistently when he was asked to be the guy. Where Devonte has struggled has been when he doesn't have a clear-cut role; that is likely not the case this year. 

. Smith? I agree he has shown he can be a great defender, but I have never seen anything, aside from a single game against MSU, that shows me he can be a consistent contributor on offense. What have you seen that makes you think he can be consistent on offense? He is a very athletic, under-sized and under skilled four on offense at this point. What has he shown to say otherwise?

Thanks for responding ... it's an open forum.

I've actually said before that perhaps Devonte's biggest challenge was playing in Romeo's shadow ... so I'm with you ... I think the irony with Devonte is that we might sometimes think less of him because we expect so much more, being the potential PG and distributor and essentially "brain" of our team. I think part of it too is that we so much want to manifest him because so much hinges on him having a successful senior season.

As for Justin, yes I think he lacks some skill, but size-wise he makes up to a point with his leaping ability and athleticism. He is our best proven rebounder after Juwan and Romeo. Archie and others have said that he makes the shots in practice, so it might be a confidence more than a skills issue (although confidence is a skill in its own right!), for whatever reason. His worst numbers come from his shooting. Maybe with a combination of bettering his shot (in the absolute, mechanics, etc.) and him being better positioned to take the good shots, he will remedy the situation. And of course I have a soft spot for the guy, being the only Academic All-American on our team ... so he's not lacking in discipline and toughness and intelligence.

10 hours ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

I wonder why you don't see Justin taking the next step? Not to mention that he is already a defensive bulwark for us. He was only a sophomore last year. What makes you more confident that Devonte will take the next step and not Justin? If anything (hoping not), I feel that because of age Devonte's game might have fossilized even more than Justin's. I personally want both to excel, and have every hope that they will. PS: sincere questions, not trying to undermine your predictions :)

I feel like Smith often looks lost on the offensive side.  He seems to have a low bb IQ.  Tons of potential, sure, but I've seen enough basketball to know how this likely ends up.  He's more of an athlete than a basketball player.  

Devonte, on the other hand, is a skilled offensive player.  He can do just about everything on the offensive side if given a green light, which I think he'll get this year.  He's not the best defender but with Archie's system that's less of an issue.  Archie needs scorers and Devonte will oblige. 

11 hours ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

I wonder why you don't see Justin taking the next step? Not to mention that he is already a defensive bulwark for us. He was only a sophomore last year. What makes you more confident that Devonte will take the next step and not Justin? If anything (hoping not), I feel that because of age Devonte's game might have fossilized even more than Justin's. I personally want both to excel, and have every hope that they will. PS: sincere questions, not trying to undermine your predictions :)

I'm not too concerned about Devonte having hit any kind of peak or his game "fossilizing" because if everything we're hearing comes to fruition this is really going to be a new role for him. In the past he's kind of been forced into being a backup ball handler, where this year the sense is that Archie is going to sort of "unleash" him. It sounds as if Al will be the backup ball handler, and potentially even Franklin a bit, while Devonte is given the green light to do what he does best, score the ball. 

That's new for him and a chance to really grow his game/impact. How it plays out, we'll have to wait and see. But, it is a new role. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I'm not too concerned about Devonte having hit any kind of peak or his game "fossilizing" because if everything we're hearing comes to fruition this is really going to be a new role for him. In the past he's kind of been forced into being a backup ball handler, where this year the sense is that Archie is going to sort of "unleash" him. It sounds as if Al will be the backup ball handler, and potentially even Franklin a bit, while Devonte is given the green light to do what he does best, score the ball. 

That's new for him and a chance to really grow his game/impact. How it plays out, we'll have to wait and see. But, it is a new role. 

Music to my ears! But it's also bittersweet, because it makes me look back and think it may have been better for Devonte to have been given that role last year, in place of an injured Romeo. But as they say ... hindsight is 20/20.

2 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

I feel like Smith often looks lost on the offensive side.  He seems to have a low bb IQ.  Tons of potential, sure, but I've seen enough basketball to know how this likely ends up.  He's more of an athlete than a basketball player.  

Devonte, on the other hand, is a skilled offensive player.  He can do just about everything on the offensive side if given a green light, which I think he'll get this year.  He's not the best defender but with Archie's system that's less of an issue.  Archie needs scorers and Devonte will oblige. 

I tend to agree on Justin, but my gut tells me Archie is working on him and will offer him a starting position (at least symbolically if not in amount of playing time) early in the preseason. He did seem to overcome some lack in skill, enough to tell me that he might have the potential and malleability to expedite the "muscle memory rebuilding" process, so to speak ... e.g., there was a time when he would miss seemingly easy layups, and he seemed to overcome the problem last year, so my hope is that if he can start hitting some shots from outside it might give him a confidence boost for some sort of a transformation. 

55 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I know scoring 20 ppg is difficult in college bball but I think Devonte has a chance to do it this year.  I think upper teens is realistic.  Hes gonna score some buckets. 

Here is how I see some of the scoring averages going for us this year

Green- 16

RP- 12

AL- 8

TJD-  9

Davis- 8

Hunter- 9

Brunk- 7

Smith- 7

After looking at this that is 76 points for these 8 players so I need to look at this some more because I doubt we average that much.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Green- 16

RP- 12

AL- 8

TJD-  9

Davis- 8

Hunter- 9

Brunk- 7

Smith- 7

After looking at this that is 76 points for these 8 players so I need to look at this some more because I doubt we average that much.

I think Rob will be more like 9 or 10. I wish he would be more aggressive in looking to score but do not see it happening yet.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Green- 16

RP- 12

AL- 8

TJD-  9

Davis- 8

Hunter- 9

Brunk- 7

Smith- 7

I’d bet on double figures for Hunter, and Al.  Tend to think Green will be in the 14-15 range with more balanced scoring than this 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’d bet on double figures for Hunter, and Al.  Tend to think Green will be in the 14-15 range with more balanced scoring than this 

man, i'd say 8 guys averaging 7 or more ppg is awful balanced.  isn't that pretty rare?  i'm not feeling doing the research, but it seems like that can't be too common?

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

man, i'd say 8 guys averaging 7 or more ppg is awful balanced.  isn't that pretty rare?  i'm not feeling doing the research, but it seems like that can't be too common?

Well, yeah. It's pretty common to have 5-6 players averaging at least 7 ppg, and that's true of IU. I wasn't weighing in on everyone, just that I think there will be more balance at the higher end of scoring with Hunter and Green, along with Rob and Al. Add in TJD and Davis or Smith or Brunk and you're right at 6 guys. That seems right to me with this group.

Archived