Sports announcers

IU Scott

19 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Jerry Baker and Chuck Marlowe. I met Chuck several times when he was doing wrestling. A great man who took the rath of many wrestlers. I don't know how he kept a straight face when those guys were screaming into his microphone. 

Plus the wrath of Bob Knight! Chuck was awesome...

Oh, and how about Don Hein? Did Pacers play by play when they were in the ABA. I played in a church basketball league he played in. League also featured Dick White of the IU 1953 National Champs (and even though he had to be in his 40s, he could still play!)

Hein was also the sports guy on ABC along with Jerry Harkness. David Letterman was the (really funny) weather guy.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, and how about Don Hein? Did Pacers play by play when they were in the ABA. I played in a church basketball league he played in. League also featured Dick White of the IU 1953 National Champs (and even though he had to be in his 40s, he could still play!)

Hein was also the sports guy on ABC along with Jerry Harkness. David Letterman was the (really funny) weather guy.

I thought he was on NBC channel 13

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Plus the wrath of Bob Knight! Chuck was awesome...

I watched Chuck doing wrestling on Chicago TV, in my youth.  He took a lot of abuse from wrestlers back in the day. Just thought it was staged. Know he was personal friends with Dick the Bruiser and his cousin,  The Crusher. Sunday mornings was a must watch for me.

However. Before his death. Chuck talked about the abuse he took from Coach Knight. Staying in the station for hours upon hours for Bobby Knight to show up. For their weekly show.  Never hearing from Coach Knight. Till Coach showed up. Which often was well after midnight.

Chuck Marlowe was a professional. The mold was broken upon his passing.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I watched Chuck doing wrestling on Chicago TV, in my youth.  He took a lot of abuse from wrestlers back in the day. Just thought it was staged. Know he was personal friends with Dick the Bruiser and his cousin,  The Crusher. Sunday mornings was a must watch for me.

However. Before his death. Chuck talked about the abuse he took from Coach Knight. Staying in the station for hours upon hours for Bobby Knight to show up. For their weekly show.  Never hearing from Coach Knight. Till Coach showed up. Which often was well after midnight.

Chuck Marlowe was a professional. The mold was broken upon his passing.

I remember Ernie "The Big Cat" Ladd, the greatest wrestling "heel" ever, tell Chuck he was just a "common tater."

"Must watch" is right...

On 10/24/2019 at 9:08 PM, IUFLA said:

Oh, and one for all of us old fellas...I always loved Tom Carnegie and Tony Hinkle doing the Indiana High School State Finals back in the 60s and early 70s. 

"Heeeeee made it!"

Now there's something I didn't know. Tom Carnegie called basketball. Did he ever use "Aaaaaand it's a newwwww state rrrrrrecord"?

Archived