penix or ramsey

coachv

1 hour ago, 68Hoosier said:

I really like both at the QB spot for us.  I am ok with either starting as both have proven themselves to be there.  My biggest concerns moving forward though.

1. With Penix out how do we look if Ramsey needs a stretch on the side line.  I have not seen enough of Tuttle to say one way or the other.

2. Long term.  Penix seems to be made of glass.  Always hurt and now two season ending situations.  Once Ramsey is gone can he sustain the role?  Again see number one as I have not see Tuttle that much.

Overall I think we are lucky to have both players and happy the Ramsey did not develop a chip on his shoulder.  He is a great team player and team mate.

Tuttle hasn't really done mutch except hand the ball off when he came into games so far. That said Fisch has said on the radio a couple of times that he started off a little rough early on but started to catch up with the playbook and his performance in practice. That was about week two of the season. A lot of people gave Tuttle crap for his struggles and said that it was a bad sign that he didn't know the plays. Fisch then said last week that Tuttle missed time in the spring and summer with mono and pnuemonia. So with that said I think he will be fine if he has to come into the game if he really has been looking good in practice like Fisch has stated. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This happening during the bye is a small blessing to the bad news.  An extra week to get Tuttle more reps and prepare for a worse case scenario is a good thing.

I would be interested to hear how he has looked overall this season, I suspect he has been the scout team QB most of the year.

The fellas were talking about it during the Northwestern game, Tuttle needed some action in that one.  But yeah, I would say he has been running the scout team.

Just now, HoosierJax said:

I’m comfortable with Ramsey...he probably has more minutes then Penix on the year anyways and he has proven to be much better than last year...it sucks for Penix to be hurt but I expect IU to finish out 2-1...hopefully 3-0..with a improved Ramsey under center

Love the positive vibes...

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Conversely.  The game plan has changed enough this year, to take advantage of Peyton's abilities.  He is overlooking the field much better this season. And not locking onto his intended targets.  Plus. Let's not forget that Stevie is coming on in terms of his ability to run the ball. Lastly, Penix is out for the season.  On a running play. We definitely don't need that to happen to Peyton. 

Ain't it great to be bowl eligible at this point in the season. Knowing we don't need our QB running the ball to BECOME bowl eligible ?

These QBs aren't nearly as effective when you take their legs from them. Jalen Hurts has ran all year, no injuries. Tua was hurt on a pass play. Running play or not is irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

These QBs aren't nearly as effective when you take their legs from them. Jalen Hurts has ran all year, no injuries. Tua was hurt on a pass play. Running play or not is irrelevant. 

I have no problem with Ramsey, escaping.  Just don't design running plays for him.  It's big boy FB.  Injuries happen. And I understand that.   However, a game plan should not incorporate running plays for our QB.  Let the other team game plan for it.  Run or not. 

By the way. Have always loved your intensity for IUFB. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I have no problem with Ramsey, escaping.  Just don't design running plays for him.  It's big boy FB.  Injuries happen. And I understand that.   However, a game plan should not incorporate running plays for our QB.  Let the other team game plan for it.  Run or not. 

By the way. Have always loved your intensity for IUFB. 

Yes... the game plan should have the QB running. It's one of their best features. It wasn't a designed QB run btw... it was a zone read and Penix kept it when he wasn't suppose to. 

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

So according to ESPN's QBR system ranking Penix was the 7th best QB in the country at the time of his injury on Saturday. 

The last I saw had Penix at 10 and PR at 24.  I am quite comfortable with PR in Penix's absence.  He has proven to be more durable and has improved his game from last year.  Had it not been for PR filling in admirably this year, I doubt we would be Bowl eligible.  The only difference from the OC standpoint I see is little more "West Coast" flavor to the play calling.  Otherwise, let PR loose and let him prove himself.  I am really rooting for the success of this young man and hope he can lead us to a Bowl Win!

On 11/4/2019 at 2:01 PM, IUguy said:

Penix out again after less than one half.  If the kid could stay on his feet he might become a great one.  Problem is, apparently any hit he takes, hard or soft, puts him out of the game.  Not sure exactly what his problem is, but its is most concerning to me and probably to CTA also.  Thank G-d for Ramsay!   Certainly a weird, perplexing problem going forward this year and then into next year.

I wish I wasn't correct about his health.  Maybe now that he had surgery, he will be healthier next year.  One can hope.  This is too bad for this year if anything happens to Ramsey.  Hope he will do well, but he is not as explosive as Penix and Tuttle is untested.  The staff had better be sure of Tuttle as a back up next year or they should go out and find another QB in the off season.

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

The last I saw had Penix at 10 and PR at 24.  I am quite comfortable with PR in Penix's absence.  He has proven to be more durable and has improved his game from last year.  Had it not been for PR filling in admirably this year, I doubt we would be Bowl eligible.  The only difference from the OC standpoint I see is little more "West Coast" flavor to the play calling.  Otherwise, let PR loose and let him prove himself.  I am really rooting for the success of this young man and hope he can lead us to a Bowl Win!

That’s what it is right now. I would also add that Ramsey has an entire game against Ohio St factored into his numbers... 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Btw.. I'm hearing it was his clavicle the whole time and tried to play through it. If that's true, all the comments of being made of glass don't apply as much and that dude is tough. 

Translation: he may have been playing with a partially broken/cracked/bone bruise/whatever the whole season?

That would explain the whole "dead arm" thing at the beginning of the season.

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Btw.. I'm hearing it was his clavicle the whole time and tried to play through it. If that's true, all the comments of being made of glass don't apply as much and that dude is tough. 

I am hearing the same thing.  

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Translation: he may have been playing with a partially broken/cracked/bone bruise/whatever the whole season?

That would explain the whole "dead arm" thing at the beginning of the season.

Wasn't it the second game of the season he came out?

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Heard the same thing. At least about the clavicle.  By the way, that is the only bone that runs horizontally, in the body.  Gotta send well wishes out to the young man for a speedy recovery.

Archived