IU vs Gannon Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, it’s not just a coincidence, it’s an institutional problem.  It was actually comical to watch the trainers rub frozen Dixie cups on the players’ legs on the sideline every other game last season.  Tim Garl has been the head trainer for the men’s basketball program for going on 40 years... It’s time for him to go.

56 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point, it’s not just a coincidence, it’s an institutional problem.  It was actually comical to watch the trainers rub frozen Dixie cups on the players’ legs on the sideline every other game last season.  Tim Garl has been the head trainer for the men’s basketball program for going on 40 years... It’s time for him to go.

Exactly,  Dixie cups that is so 30 years ago  any trainer worth their weight is using Solo cups.  With get it Tim😉

50 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He started as a trainer at IU around '81. He was promoted to head trainer IIRC around 2016. 

edit, wait, I thought that was the case and looking back now I'm not so sure, lol. He was a student trainer in the late 70's and after a couple of stints was hired at IU in '81. Per the IU page on him that was as head trainer, if so I stand corrected. Man that is a long time, but then he's extremely well reputed. I don't think you can say the guys' injuries (including a hammy) have to do with Garl. That's a real stretch, regardless.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Just saying that Tim Garl is widely respected amongst all players former and current. 

And blaming him is kinda like blaming the doctor for you getting sick. 

There needs to be some perspective too. 3 of our main injuries last year had nothing to do with the athletic trainer, the strength trainer or the coaches. Not sure they could’ve prevented 2 concussions and a suspected blood clot. Dislocated thumbs and jammed fingers are also hard to prevent. That combined with the lucky buzzer beaters scored against us, I just think we were cursed last year. 

Now hamstrings and lower abdominal strains (speculation on my part) can be prevented with proper stretching. They could've resulted from tweaks in the weight room or a lack of recovery. Too early to tell if those are flukes or coincidences, IMO  

Well I am not about to cast any shade towards IU's medical staff. In addition to Tim Garl. And is well respected among his peers, per tdhoosier.  Who has been around forever. Larry Rink, who also is an IU grad is pushing 40 years, as IU's doctor.  Other schools so be so blessed to have alum's so dedicated to a  program. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What would the trainer do to prevent injuries? His job is to deal with them once they’re there. It’s the strength coach and the coaching staff that needs held accountable about a history of injuries.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Well I am not about to cast any shade towards IU's medical staff. In addition to Tim Garl. And is well respected among his peers, per tdhoosier.  Who has been around forever. Larry Rink, who also is an IU grad is pushing 40 years, as IU's doctor.  Other schools so be so blessed to have alum's so dedicated to a  program. 

If the problem was botched surgeries and mid diagnosed injuries then yes they’re to blame. As for actual injuries that makes no sense to hold them accountable.

overuse injuries are exactly that, overuse. Shin splints, tendinitis, etc is from going too much too quickly, lack of recovery and or diet. Overuse injuries fall SQUARELY on the coaches and strength staff IF there’s a common thread to the injuries. 

Third post sorry...

overuse injuries piss me off because at this level, when there’s nutritionists, full time strength coaches and experienced coaches, it should rarely come to these types of injuries. These are about having a progressive plan of development and picking and choosing when you crush it and when you lay off. This is what they go to school for. This is their full time JOB. To develop athletes and be aware of potential risk vs reward in the field of athletic development. 

My experience with strength coaches at this level is that many have egos the size of a house and constantly want to show how tough they are and how much they can push athletes. In the SHORT TERM it proves to work awesome, but after 4-8 weeks their bodies break down and the strength coaches I know always make excuses that it’s the athletes, they’re weak, they’re not doing everything I say, etc. If a coach wins they get credit and lose take the blame. If strength coaches develop athletes well they should get credit, if trends in injuries occur they should receive the blame. 

These injuries are on the staff, 100%. How, in your third year do, when you're on the cusp of losing your job, do you let this crap happen? Your (possibly) 2 best players are out before the season even starts? Someone on staff is messing up somewhere, and it isn't on the roster. I get that "things" happen, but after last year's atrocious injury debacle, is no one tapping the brakes a bit on some of this stuff? I want CAM to succeed, but man, this sucks. 

9 minutes ago, BEKA said:

These injuries are on the staff, 100%. How, in your third year do, when you're on the cusp of losing your job, do you let this crap happen? Your (possibly) 2 best players are out before the season even starts? Someone on staff is messing up somewhere, and it isn't on the roster. I get that "things" happen, but after last year's atrocious injury debacle, is no one tapping the brakes a bit on some of this stuff? I want CAM to succeed, but man, this sucks. 

For one Archie isnt on the cusp of losing his job. Two,  we have no idea how these injuries occurred.  They could have been completely non basketball freak incidents.  

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I've said many times that if we have major injuries this season it's definitely more than just bad luck.  There's something Archie or the trainers are doing wrong.  It's just beyond ridiculous at this point and will be no excuse no matter how the season plays out.

1 hour ago, BEKA said:

I've never been a Cliff Marshall fan.  I believe most of his success is with football players and not basketball.  It's probably time to find someone else.

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Just saying that Tim Garl is widely respected amongst all players former and current. 

And blaming him is kinda like blaming the doctor for you getting sick. 

There needs to be some perspective too. 3 of our main injuries last year had nothing to do with the athletic trainer, the strength trainer or the coaches. Not sure they could’ve prevented 2 concussions and a suspected blood clot. Dislocated thumbs and jammed fingers are also hard to prevent. That combined with the lucky buzzer beaters scored against us, I just think we were cursed last year. 

Now hamstrings and lower abdominal strains (speculation on my part) can be prevented with proper stretching. They could've resulted from tweaks in the weight room or a lack of recovery. Too early to tell if those are flukes or coincidences, IMO  

Sports hernia could definitely be caused by lifting. A lot of weight in an upward motion coupled with a little slip....

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I've never been a Cliff Marshall fan.  I believe most of his success is with football players and not basketball.  It's probably time to find someone else.

It does raise questions. His expertise is preparing athletes for the combines. There's preparation for short term performance vs long term conditioning for durability

During Marshall’s time at IU, more than 40 team records have been broken in the weight-room. Two all-time NBA Combine records have been broken by IU Athletes Justin Smith (vertical jump) and Freddie McSwain (bench press) In addition, 12 players have jumped over 40 inches on the running vertical jump over the last two years.

Quote from Romeo:

Coach Clif has experience training many pro athletes and helping them become top performers at the combines. As a freshman, he helped me gain 15 pounds of lean muscle mass while increasing my vertical jump. The added muscle allowed me to play 35 minutes per game as a freshmen in the B1G conference and helped me battle with older guys.

When Tom Zupancic, a body-builder and strongest man competitor (and friend of Jim Irsay), was the Colts strength coach, they had a lot of injuries. They finally moved him to sales and marketing.

No one likes to have injuries but these seem relatively minor in October and November. Hopefully Rob can get healthy and stay healthy. One thing all coaches love the most is availability. So far Rob has been available for about 50% of his time at IU. Hope that number improves because we really need him at PG. 

Archived