IU vs Gannon Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Sports hernia could definitely be caused by lifting. A lot of weight in an upward motion coupled with a little slip....

Or doing the vertical jump.....so all this weight room crap is hurting our players!!:panic: Maybe Al is the only one not getting hurt because all that dancing he is doing is stretching him!

Sounds to me like players are working maybe too hard. It could have happened any which way. Maybe diving on the floor for a loose ball. The good thing is these are soft tissue injuries. Should heal with proper rest. No ACL/high ankle sprains or broken bones. God I wish I was still 20 and healed that fast!

Armaan and Al will step up. You just don't want to over work them. Seems the additional walk on guards were for a good reason. Good chance for Damezi and Hunter to get early season run and get comfortable with game speed. We all expected Trayce to be the most important freshman acquisition and of course he will be huge for us but with Brunk added and a healthy Smith, Race, and Davis it might actually be Franklin in the early going getting us through this stretch of the season.

Taking a glass half full approach -- since we're all kind of speculating -- maybe CAM and the team getting absolutely hammered by injuries last season, including to Rob, has him and staff playing things especially cautious. 

I'd like to see everyone on the floor, but we sure don't need them on the floor in an exhibition and getting everyone fully healthy is key.

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Taking a glass half full approach -- since we're all kind of speculating -- maybe CAM and the team getting absolutely hammered by injuries last season, including to Rob, has him and staff playing things especially cautious. 

I'd like to see everyone on the floor, but we sure don't need them on the floor in an exhibition and getting everyone fully healthy is key.

I don't care if they miss this game but I hope we don't see them missing any regular season games

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't care if they miss this game but I hope we don't see them missing any regular season games

I hope so too, but our 'cake' early schedule also isn't that onerous. Most important that the guys are healthy and fully ready before they hit the floor, rather than come back too quickly and aggravate or re-injure leading to extended absence.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I hope so too, but our 'cake' early schedule also isn't that onerous. Most important that the guys are healthy and fully ready before they hit the floor, rather than come back too quickly and aggravate or re-injure leading to extended absence.

Losing one of those cake games can keep you out of the tournament.  See Fort Wayne.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think games against Princeton and S. Dakota St or which ever Dakota it is won't be easy games especially short handed.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Sounds to me like players are working maybe too hard. It could have happened any which way.

I've had this concern for a couple, three years. I don't believe in coincidences. We've had far too many soft tissue injuries over the past 3 years, over several players. (it seems like all of them to me). I can see getting toned up, build some muscle, but every video I see is about trying to become the next Mr Universe in the weight room.

I get the conditioning for adding vertical height, I get the muscle tone and lowering body fat to be able to bang around in the B1G, but I don't get trying to build so much muscle that you run the potential to injure yourself doing so by building it beyond a point of reason.

23 minutes ago, DWB said:

I've had this concern for a couple, three years. I don't believe in coincidences. We've had far too many soft tissue injuries over the past 3 years, over several players. (it seems like all of them to me). I can see getting toned up, build some muscle, but every video I see is about trying to become the next Mr Universe in the weight room.

I get the conditioning for adding vertical height, I get the muscle tone and lowering body fat to be able to bang around in the B1G, but I don't get trying to build so much muscle that you run the potential to injure yourself doing so by building it beyond a point of reason.

The thing is, this goes back to the Crean era as well.  That’s why I look at dinosaurs like Garl and Rink as a potential problem — any medical professional who’s been practicing for 40 years is going to be behind the times.

We could very well be wrong, and IU may not have had more than its fair share of injuries over the past decade.  But it sure seems like they have, and if that’s the case, I think the program needs to look into making changes to its medical/training staff.

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Losing one of those cake games can keep you out of the tournament.  See Fort Wayne.

I'll never call Fort Wayne a cupcake lol.

But my point is pretty straightforward here, better to be cautious by holding them out (if deemed necessary for full recovery) for an early, and generally easier, game or two than risk losing the guys for multiple games, including the harder games as we get into the schedule.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The thing is, this goes back to the Crean era as well.  That’s why I look at dinosaurs like Garl and Rink as a potential problem — any medical professional who’s been practicing for 40 years is going to be behind the times.

We could very well be wrong, and IU may not have had more than its fair share of injuries over the past decade.  But it sure seems like they have, and if that’s the case, I think the program needs to look into making changes to its medical/training staff.

I think Marshall should get more of the blame.  Nothing about his background says he knows how to prepare guys for a basketball season.  He's an NFL combine guy.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

People act like IU is the only program that deals with injury but it seems like every day I go to a college basketball website I see a lot of injury updates.

Yeah while extremely frustrating, this isn't an 'IU thing' this is a sports performance/science thing in the industry. The science we have now on these things is of course better than ever, but is it being applied properly? Is year-round training partly to blame? Not enough rest? Better nutrition and sleep, etc?

IU is doing the same training that every major college program is doing. These guys are all doing the same stuff. 

I do wonder if maybe FW_Hoosier has a point though about the training staff and how long they've been there? Of course they're all super respected in the industry and I'm sure on top of all of the new science and trends, but at the same time I can say that two years ago the Celtics fired their training staff, of whom Ed Lacerte was one of the longest tenured, most respected trainers in the NBA (he was the trainer for the original Dream Team as well), and the strength/conditioning coach that had been with the team 10+ years. They rebranded the training team something like the "Sports Performance" department. 

They brought in a new head of the department to run things who is on the cutting edge of not just training/rehabbing injuries, but also on the cutting edge of sports science in terms of how the body reacts and responds to nutrition, sleep, rest, and more. 

Maybe it's time for some fresh blood at IU?

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think Marshall should get more of the blame.  Nothing about his background says he knows how to prepare guys for a basketball season.  He's an NFL combine guy.

I think you also have to take a step back and look at what the injuries are.

For example, in judging Marshall, which really none of us here are qualified to do, you have to take Race Thompson and Phinisee's concussions out of it and Jerome Hunter's condition, none of those are a result of anything Cliff Marshall has/hasn't done. DeRon Davis has had a slew of injuries, but again he had that before Miller/Marshall got here. Langford's thumb was more of a freak thing as well. 

It does seem like IU gets hit with a lot of injuries, but the major ones are those four (not counting Davis' issues) above and those aren't at the hands of any coaches/trainers. If those 4 freak injuries don't happen then IU waltzes into the Tournament last year and none of this is really a topic. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My question is whats going on in practice that we have 2 or 3 players hurt all the time?

51 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Garl is president of the national trainers association, I doubt he is behind on anything new.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

My question is whats going on in practice that we have 2 or 3 players hurt all the time?

That is a good question as we have had multiple injuries even before the season starts the last 2 or 3 years. Which in my mind would include practice and strength and conditioning 

How much do the trainers work in concert with the S & C staff?  Is this highly coordinated?

The football program has some very innovative guys in the S and C area.  Leathernecks has pointed out they've been offered positions from an NFL team.  On the football side, from what I have read, our guys came out of the Notre Dame concepts which are highly regarded.  Football is a more brutal sport and there will always be injuries as a fact of life but the situation and results over there have been fantastic.  Maybe we need that level of thinking on the basketball side?

Just now, BGleas said:

Is that real or something you made up?

It's frustration talking.

Not sure how one would go about comparing the number of pre-season and in-season injuries team by team, or if that information is even out there. We see what we see, in our program, and no doubt we've gone through a string of injuries and often to key players over the past several years. How common or uncommon that is? I'd bet on it's more common than not.

Archived