Gannon vs IU post game

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know specifically who said it, but in some of the summer threads where people speculated on lineups, people were acting like Rob had to play 35 minutes.,  And, the general consensus among fans before the secret scrimmage was that Armaan was not a rotational player.

Well he's the only true PG we have and it's also the most important position in college basketball.  Why would you not play him 30 minutes if healthy?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Heard Fisch call about 5 minutes of first half, and saw the last 15 minutes on BTN+

My observations:

• Franklin is going to play some minutes
  • Hunter has a ways to go before he is ready to contribute
  • If we;re healthy, I can't see Damezi getting much time
  • Justin will play the 3 at times, at least in the non-conference
  • Phinisee is not going to play 30 minutes a game as most people seem to think.

Nice summary.  When I got home I literally said the first four things to my wife about the game and team.  Only other thing I added was the team still seems to not be able to shoot a lick from mid to deep range.

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know specifically who said it, but in some of the summer threads where people speculated on lineups, people were acting like Rob had to play 35 minutes.,  And, the general consensus among fans before the secret scrimmage was that Armaan was not a rotational player.

All good! Just couldn't imagine anyone thinking RP was going to get 30 minutes. Especially this early. Hope he does eventually because I think he's that good but Yogi barely got 30.

I'll say this I think it's virtually impossible to take anything good or bad from an exhibition.  Duke nearly lost their exhibition but you can bet the farm they'll be a top 10 team most of the season.  I also remember in Creans 1st year we won our exhibition against Northwestern St by 20.  That was by far the worst season in IU basketball history.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Justin an efficient 5 for 5, and 8 for 9 with 3 assists, 0 turnovers, a block and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Only weakness I saw was only 2 boards. Archie mentioned this was his first time ever playing exclusively on the perimeter for both O and D.

justin. is. not. a. three.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Heard Fisch call about 5 minutes of first half, and saw the last 15 minutes on BTN+

My observations:

• Franklin is going to play some minutes
  • Hunter has a ways to go before he is ready to contribute
  • If we;re healthy, I can't see Damezi getting much time
  • Justin will play the 3 at times, at least in the non-conference
  • Phinisee is not going to play 30 minutes a game as most people seem to think.

where is that condescending administrator? "justin. is. not. a. three."

40 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

My big take was the improvement from the line. 70% 21-30. Much netter than scrimmage. If we can get up around 73% for season, would take that all day. Especially with a team that is not a great shooting team.

i don't think i would even take that from one exhibition game

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You shouldn't. I'm not nearly as abrasive and sometimes I'm funny.

...and I'm not at all convinced he's a three either, but he had a nice game.

so many it's hard to keep track. sometimes, i am also funny. other times i'm just high

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

All good! Just couldn't imagine anyone thinking RP was going to get 30 minutes. Especially this early. Hope he does eventually because I think he's that good but Yogi barely got 30.

Last three years Yogi played 33.8, 34.9 and 34.7 MPG. I could see RP around 30, or slightly more, mpg but that depends on his health and Archie’s trust in having AD/DG/AF taking PG minutes.

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

VS Gannon, Smith can be 1-5 when matched up against less athletic 6’ players. VS D1 and especially the B1G, he is not a 3.

I agree that games in the future will be the test. Sounded like he had a good game but it does not mean a whole lot until he plays against a team with some athletes and height. That being said.....kudos to him for doing what was needed tonight.

PS. Great to hear that Franklin had such a good game. Hopefully he will solve the backcourt depth concerns. Also, is it true that it looked as though DD has been hitting Dunkin Donuts hard? If true, that would be a shame heading into his senior year.

Archived