Howard Game Thread

5fouls

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A lot to like, a lot to be worried about. This going to be a really long season, I’m hopeful Archie can get the team playing really well as the season progresses, but I worry the skill level just isnt there with the players. 

Obviously really impressed with Durham and Smith, and I’m still fairl high on Green. He made some mistakes after his hot start, but at least things happen when he’s in. Green is also our best player at getting the ball into the post. I think the ball needs to be in his hands. 

I feel bad for Juwan getting hurt, but with that said, and I know it was just a game against Howard, but if Justin Smith can play well against the good teams, then I think maybe he needs to play ahead of Juwan.  Not because Juwan isn’t good, but this team lacks athleticism and explosive athletes, and that’s something Smith brings that IU doesn’t really have. 

Davis is a beast, IU is screwed if he ever gets into foul trouble against a good team. We literally have nobody behind him. 

I don’t even know what to say about the senior guards. RoJo was at least solid tonight, but we need him to be more than solid. If he’s just solid, it’s going to be a long season. Newkirk, man I don’t even know what to say. 7 assists was good, but he can’t just stand out there and bomb 3’s. We just need more from him. 

Bright-side, that game is much different with even average free throw shooting. Negative side, The best guards and shooters were on Howard’s side. 

Excellent post.  Could not have said it better, myself.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good, the bad and the ugly:

The good:

- Durham. It's early, but he is proving many doubters wrong. Good for him, he's showing he can score and play hard right out of the gate. 5-9 for 16, 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 TO, in 30 mins. Also +10 on the night. Kid has some game.

- Smith. Breakout game. 8-12 for 16 with 12 boards, 2 assists, 2 TO's, +9 on the night.

- Davis, 17 points, 6 boards and 0 FOULS! Nice job (before we get to the FTs)

- Better ball control than Friday (Thank God). 12 TOs. 

- The shooting is there, shots need to fall.

- Collin will get back and the team will improve with him. He's going to have a real impact, imo.

- There was some D. Howard shot 35%. We shot 54%.

The bad:

- Outscored 50-49 in the second half, by Howard, at home. That's bad. 

- Effort. Back to the first point. We should've seen a complete game of intense effort, after that embarrassing loss on Friday. We didn't. Have to think CAM will ride them hard on this, as he should.

- What happened to Morgan? I don't mean the injury, and hope he's ok, but he hasn't been a factor. We need him, he had some very strong games last year. 

The Ugly:

T- Free throws, again, awful. Davis 2-9? McSwain 0-4? I have to think this is going to fix itself, though. 

One thing I noticed tonight that the announcers said was look at the bench. They all look so dejected and put out by the game. It looks like they are coming to a job rather than having fun playing a sport they love. It seems like they are being mentally weak right now cause Archie seems like a hardnosed no nonsense type of guy vs Crean and they are trying to adjust to that. I feel it will be a process though and hopefully they will get their mojo back. Unless Archie hasn't worked on shooting or anything at all up til now there is no excuse for that horrible of a free throw shooting no matter the circumstances. That stat line should be the three point shooting not free throw. Next we seemed almost tired today. Rebounding was kind of ok but kind of not. It seems like you are seeing a couple guys buying into CAM. The freshmen were a pleasant surprise and I think you can see them buying in but they are freshmen and prone to mistakes. Green seems like he will be an x factor for us going forward but he needs major guidance on how to play controlled and let the game come to him. He has a talent for passing now Archie needs to take him by the hand and show him how to be a lead point guard. He has the talent to be good I think but needs lead to get there. I feel unfortunately the rest of the team will take some more time. Now onto the positives. It was great to see the team not give up. When they were challenged they stepped up and didn't let them back in the game. Next it was great to see us play well against a zone and move the ball instead of just dribble it around the 3 point line and bomb a three in hopes it goes in. Durham was great and so was Justin Smith. The defense was alot better than ISU. Robert Johnson played well. Time for him to be consistent. Green showed flashes. It was also good to see good sub patterns and see Archie use the bench as a motivating factor. Now onto the down right frustrating....the free throw shooting. Enough said. Also I am so surprised that teams feel comfortable enough and light us up from three. It is ridiculous and downright frustrating. ISU going off. Howard tonight with their circus shots near the end with a hand in their face. It is frustrating. It is time to establish that Asembly Hall is once again a place of dread a place that you subconsciously know going in you're getting an L. Until our guys exude that confidence and swagger other teams are going to keep going off on us. I guess that is one of the most frustrating things of all. I know it is early though and there is still plenty of time to establish all of that. 

Archived