Northwestern - Indiana Post game

11 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I don't care what anybody says about the level of competition, we usually flub up at least two winnable games each season. Sitting here at 7-2 and 4-2 is a great place to be right now. Go get that Bucket and you have 8-4, 5-4 at worse, which would be the best IU football season since...1993? Then you have the bowl game for the possible 9th win. We haven't won a bowl game since beating Baylor 24-0 back in 1992 (without looking it up). 

It was Baylor but 1991 in the Copper Bowl.  

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any fan can decide whatever they want to do when it comes to when to leave a game but having the stadium empty for most of the second half does not look good either.  What does that say about the commitment to IU football on the fans side when they leave because it was a little chilly outside.  I understand if it is pouring down rain or if it is brutally cold like the ice bowl or that day in Cincinnati when the windshield was -59.  What does it say to all the recruits that was at the game about how they will be supported if they come to IU.  These kids go to other programs and they see all of the seats full for the whole game and see the crowd really into the game so where do you think they will go. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Any fan can decide whatever they want to do when it comes to when to leave a game but having the stadium empty for most of the second half does not look good either.  What does that say about the commitment to IU football on the fans side when they leave because it was a little chilly outside.  I understand if it is pouring down rain or if it is brutally cold like the ice bowl or that day in Cincinnati when the windshield was -59.  What does it say to all the recruits that was at the game about how they will be supported if they come to IU.  These kids go to other programs and they see all of the seats full for the whole game and see the crowd really into the game so where do you think they will go. 

True statement, Scott.

10 hours ago, IUfan93 said:

We left after the 3rd qtr. My wife and son were freezing. We were bundled up. It was a bigger crowd than we expected but they definitely cleared out early. My daughter and her boyfriend stayed almost the entire game and they were dressed fashionably 🙄 not for the weather. I actually asked my wife/son to leave earlier but both said beginning of 4th qtr.  We had been out all day walking the campus then tailgating...warmth was more important than fandom by the end of the 3rd qtr 😂

yet somehow fans from penn st, ohio st, michigan, wisconsin, iowa, etc. find a way to cheer their teams through 4 quarters. has the state of indiana outlawed the sale of coats and gloves? if allen leaves for a school whose fans appreciate the sport, it will be on our fans and it will be deserved

3 minutes ago, coachv said:

yet somehow fans from penn st, ohio st, michigan, wisconsin, iowa, etc. find a way to cheer their teams through 4 quarters. has the state of indiana outlawed the sale of coats and gloves? if allen leaves for a school whose fans appreciate the sport, it will be on our fans and it will be deserved

But they don't lol... I was at Notre Dame on Saturday... that stadium wasnt full and they had people leave early. 

23 minutes ago, coachv said:

If he ever gives one, and I hope he doesn't, if in his departing/arriving press conference, Tom Allen states "....and I wanted to be at a program where the fans stay for the 2nd half, even if it's freezing", I will shoulder 100% of the blame and will allow you to physically take out your aggression on my person via any means you deem appropriate for a period of 120 seconds. 

But only if it's above freezing.  I ain't going outside in that $&#%. 

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But they don't lol... I was at Notre Dame on Saturday... that stadium wasnt full and they had people leave early. 

Heck I was at ND when they were #1 in the country against Penn St.  The stadium was bare midway through the 3Q.

1 hour ago, coachv said:

I don't think they stay either. Indiana football fans are like the moments before Lucy pulls the ball away from Charlie Brown right before he kicks it. Many of the fans feel that they know they will be let down so not to get hopes up. Allow CTA to put a few seasons like this together and people will spend their hard earned money and sit in the cold to watch their team. It can't be a once a few decade thing. 

53 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If he ever gives one, and I hope he doesn't, if in his departing/arriving press conference, Tom Allen states "....and I wanted to be at a program where the fans stay for the 2nd half, even if it's freezing", I will shoulder 100% of the blame and will allow you to physically take out your aggression on my person via any means you deem appropriate for a period of 120 seconds. 

But only if it's above freezing.  I ain't going outside in that $&#%. 

the poblem was that Saturday night is not what I would considered to cold to watch a game.

I know if I go to a game that I stay until the final end unless it is a downpour or just brutally cold.  Even when I watch my favorite teams play on TV I don't ever turn it off until the final horn has gone off.  If your turn it off to early you sometimes miss some amazing comebacks and will regret it later.  I did not go to bed when the Colts was at Tampa on that great Monday night comeback.  They were down 35-14 with under 6 minutes to play but I stayed up and was able to witness one of the best comebacks in NFL history.  I also stayed up on A Sunday night game against NE where the Colts made a miracle comeback in the 4th quarter to win. It was the one where Belicheck went for it on 4th and 2 at there own 30 yard line with less than 3 minutes to play leading by 3.

We were there and stayed the whole game.  Filled the kids up with hot chocolate and M&Ms in the second half and that kept them happy enough.  Lol 

More than the cold I thought the bigger problem was the late start with the tailgating all day.  People were definitely enjoying themselves.  There was even a guy a few rows in front of us that threw up and passed out and had to be carried out by security.  I've been hoping he's OK.  This is the first game I've been to with alcohol sales so not sure if that kind of stuff is par for the course now.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

the poblem was that Saturday night is not what I would considered to cold to watch a game.

For a 40 something year old man right. For a lot of wives and people with kids it might be. I am having a hard time finding any of my family that wants to go to the Bucket game with me.  Until we start winning on a regular basis the avg fan will watch on TV

4 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

We were there and stayed the whole game.  Filled the kids up with hot chocolate and M&Ms in the second half and that kept them happy enough.  Lol 

More than the cold I thought the bigger problem was the late start with the tailgating all day.  People were definitely enjoying themselves.  There was even a guy a few rows in front of us that threw up and passed out and had to be carried out by security.  I've been hoping he's OK.  This is the first game I've been to with alcohol sales so not sure if that kind of stuff is par for the course now.

My question is how many people stayed out to tailgate instead of going into the game.  That is what irritates me more than people leaving the game early because at least those people made the effort to go to the game.  I just got done talking to a guy I work with who is a PU alum and he some of his PU friends went to tailgate but did not go tot he game and left the tailgate at 1PM for a noon kick off.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

For a 40 something year old man right. For a lot of wives and people with kids it might be. I am having a hard time finding any of my family that wants to go to the Bucket game with me.  Until we start winning on a regular basis the avg fan will watch on TV

I am going to the bucket game with my son

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unless East Central makes a run in football I won't be able to attend the bucket game. I will be there against Michigan though. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't think they stay either. Indiana football fans are like the moments before Lucy pulls the ball away from Charlie Brown right before he kicks it. Many of the fans feel that they know they will be let down so not to get hopes up. Allow CTA to put a few seasons like this together and people will spend their hard earned money and sit in the cold to watch their team. It can't be a once a few decade thing. 

i agree, but will allen be willing to wait if he gets an offer from a school that packs the house every saturday. he may aspire to win a championship himself

6 hours ago, coachv said:

We had coats, gloves, hats, and blankets.  We stayed longer than most. To each their own. I’m not going to be numb when the game was well in hand to make sure Allen doesn’t leave for another school. I’ve been to MANY a ND games in my lifetime where fans cleared out of there too. 

Archived