Indianapolis Motor Speedway...

Seeking6

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Have seen it. And witnessed a lot of it firsthand. It was hilarious how misconstrued their dynamic was among fans. Being on the Gordon side, I couldn't help but laugh at the hatred that came from Earnhardt fans. I kept wanting to say, "You know these two both know they're the class of the field and are playing this up, right?"

Oh I know,I’m on the Gordon side also..I used to get hammered at work from the Earnhardt fans there and me being the only Gordon fan I had to really pick and choose when to argue my point.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Oh I know,I’m on the Gordon side also..I used to get hammered at work from the Earnhardt fans there and me being the only Gordon fan I had to really pick and choose when to argue my point.

And then 1997 came along, and there was no more arguing...lol.

Just now, HoosierJax said:

Only thing for me about Petty was most of his 200 wins were win he was running 3-4 times a week...where as Earnhardt or Gordon got theirs racing once a week 

And in some cases, half of those were on dirt. Like I said with the baseball comparison...almost a different sport.

Just now, rico said:

JMHO, but I will say that Gordon did change NASCAR in the fact that he proved you didn't have to be a "hillbilly" to win!

Disclaimer: This does not absolve all of Southern Indiana from being "hillbilly". That adjective still more than applies to most of it. 🤣

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And then 1997 came along, and there was no more arguing...lol.

I caught hell for the Daytona 500 wreck that Earnhardt went up side down on..Earnhardt said that Gordon wrecked me and the SOB never even touched me...after that there was not a lot of arguing...then 98 came and I couldn’t even find those 3 fans...😂

The first Daytona 500 broadcast live on TV was in 1979. The winner? Richard Petty. Biggest name in the sport at the time? Richard Petty. Earnhardt had yet to win a NASCAR race at the time.

So in my estimation, The King most certainly did perpetuate the sport. Even moreso after he quit racing 

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The first Daytona 500 broadcast live on TV was in 1979. The winner? Richard Petty. Biggest name in the sport at the time? Richard Petty. Earnhardt had yet to win a NASCAR race at the time.

So in my estimation, The King most certainly did perpetuate the sport. Even moreso after he quit racing 

I just disagree.  But I see where you are coming from.

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If you are going to include Gordon, how can you not make the argument for Jimmie Johnson. 

5 Sprint Championships in a row and 6 in total.

None of the other Nascar guys mentioned here have come close to that 5 years of domination, in a time when racing was more competitive than ever.

Rules changes?

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If you are going to include Gordon, how can you not make the argument for Jimmie Johnson. 

5 Sprint Championships in a row and 6 in total.

None of the other Nascar guys mentioned here have come close to that 5 years of domination, in a time when racing was more competitive than ever.

Johnson’s not retired yet..😂...he needs to be in the conversation and one day he will...I just hope he don’t pull a Darrel Waltrip and keep driving way past when he should have retired 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

maybe so....I don't follow Nascar much. But Gordon is of the same era. IMO, Johnson has achieved as much or more than Gordon and should be considered over him.

Gordon took NASCAR to another level...it was already at that level when Johnson got there...Johnson will always be know as the best playoff driver ever.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I just disagree.  But I see where you are coming from.

That's cool. I regularly have debates with people younger than I am (62) about the greatest at whatever. 

Mostly debate on behalf of Wilt Chamberlain as the GOAT in basketball and The Babe as the GOAT in baseball.

Not fair, at least to me, to penalize people like them, and Petty for that matter, because of the time frame they dominated.

Archived