Early Assessment

Danomatic

16 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Last year we had bad team chemistry. This year has the same leaders as last year. 

We are getting the same result on the court, just less talent to hide it.

We are hesitant in our decision making. Seem a bit unsure of whether it’s ok to shoot or if we should make another pass. But we get a lot of open shots. The “new coach/system” isn’t the problem. It’s the attitude of some guys on the team...and I have a short list of who I think those guys are. 

If I was Archie, I would give those guys until conference play to be part of the team or not. No reason to keep them around. We don’t need anchors dragging us down. 

Good post. Old players are so used to the previous system. It'll definitely take longer time to adjust. Bad thing is Rob and Josh don't have much time and need to figure out before BIG regular season starts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I"ll put this here but the topic of opponent 3 pt shooting was also discussed in the Seton Hall thread. 

3 point shots are a weakness of the pack line defense. If we are successful shutting down the inside, teams will be forced to shoot more 3s. 

I think our interior defense, size, athleticism, blocks pushed ISU out. The fact they had early success shooting gave them more confidence. They shot the lights out. As others have said, you aren't going to win many when the other team shoots 17-22 from 3. If they shoot ONLY 50%, that's 18 less points. We shoot slightly better, we win easily. 

There is always the chance a hot shooting team will beat us. That is not unique. I think ISU was the perfect opponent to do so given their good shooters and lack of focus on an inside game. If Seton Hall shoots 25+ 3's I have to think we will benefit. 

Archie mentioned 10 or so of the ISU shots could have prevented if the defensive execution was better. I did not watch the game so can only go by what I have read. I assume close outs and etc will improve.

I think some people are overreacting to a single game or performance of a single player. The team is learning a new system and players, especially the younger guys, will be up and down. After the one exhibition game, Green was going to save the season and be our leading scorer. After the last game, Al and Josh should start. Younger guys are going to have their ups and downs and we are seeing that. Hopefully, Archie can find the hot hand on any given night and ride that. We will see soon enough how things unfold but I'm not worried yet. 

Great post!

We definitely need to see improvement, and the sooner the better, in our 3-point defense (award for most obvious statement by yours truly). And we're 2 regular season games in with what is largely a new group with veteran players redefining their roles. Hopefully the improvement comes each game, that's what I'm watching for.

We have talent, no reason to throw in the towel on the season, but also plenty of reason for caution, and patience, in our level of expectation. 

Archived