MSU vs. UK

18 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's why I said a 1 and none because he will get limited playing time and be recruited over again or transfer. Yes he is skinny and rather uncordinated in a way. There is a reason he struggled against Ben Davis in the state championship his Sophomore year, then against Romeo his Junior year, and then again last year against Galloway. 

I think Brooks has potential. I also think Cal's sink or swim, up or out approach is a bad fit for him.

I don't blame the kid as much for this choice as I do Cal for lying and dad for buying. 

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Out of curiosity with how the NCAA is giving waivers wonder if Brooks would be able to get one. 

KBJ strikes me as needing a coach that can actually teach. That’s not Cal. 

I am sure KBJ could come up with something with the NCAA to get one.

And yes UK is not the place to be if you want to grow.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Brooks has potential. I also think Cal's sink or swim, up or out approach is a bad fit for him.

I don't blame the kid as much for this choice as I do Cal for lying and dad for buying. 

I doubt if Cal lied much. He just has the brand that people like to buy into and no 5* or high 4* ever thinks that they will get beat out by another player for playing time. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I couldn't believe when UK only started one freshman and it was not their best one in Maxey.  Maxey seems like the only one that will be a one and done so Cal will have to have some conversations with players after the year.

There will be others. Bring this topic up again in about 20 games or even the tournament and their will likely be at least 1 and maybe 2 more. That's the way it was with Booker and a few others. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I doubt if Cal lied much. He just has the brand that people like to buy into and no 5* or high 4* ever thinks that they will get beat out by another player for playing time. 

Yeah, they may have heard what they wanted to hear but I could certainly see Cal warming up the pitch and adding some positive embellishments.

38 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There will be others. Bring this topic up again in about 20 games or even the tournament and their will likely be at least 1 and maybe 2 more. That's the way it was with Booker and a few others. 

I agree there will be more but no one else should be a one and done.

4 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I know we are not happy about Brooks Jr (or maybe even moreso Brooks Sr), but I wish we wouldn't talk so much trash about him. We know his parents check social media and if he were to transfer, IU would certainly be 1 or 2 in his list. He also has a younger brother that is a stud that will (hopefully) be considering IU. His younger brother definitely has UK at #1 right now but if this experiment for Keion Jr doesn't work out well then that list will change.

Trust me, I am just as jaded. I was at his announcement. I just wish we could take it as graciously as Aarman and TJD did. I don't typically care about this stuff - but I guess I am a plan B and C guy and IU definitely fits into his plan B and C. 

I can still make ketchup jokes, right?

Brooks might struggle with the physicality to begin with. He is very thin, I bet there are some bigs than are nearly 2x as wide as he is (shoulder to shoulder). However, his feel for the game and athleticism will stand out eventually. 

I've said for 3 years now that Caleb Furst is a more important pick up for Archie than Brooks Jr is/was. And I still stand by that. 

I would have loved to have gotten Brooks. But a front court of TJD and Joey Brunk is going to score and rebound just as much as a front court of TJD and Brooks. We'll be just fine. It's going to be his loss. Wish him well, but we made up the production.

Now, if Brooks wants to transfer to us, come on up son.

3 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

I would have loved to have gotten Brooks. But a front court of TJD and Joey Brunk is going to score and rebound just as much as a front court of TJD and Brooks. We'll be just fine. It's going to be his loss. Wish him well, but we made up the production.

Now, if Brooks wants to transfer to us, come on up son.

If he has a few more nights like last night, I very much see him questioning/regretting his decision.  That program just looks like a poor fit for him.

Not trying to be a grief poster, but Brooks' committing to UK was NEVER going to be a big deal to the Wildcats.

By way of comparison, it would have meant a great deal to us.

But he made his choice, and he knows what he needs, and where he wants to be far better than we.

I harbor no ill will towards him, or his family, and wish him success.

However, if things work out well in the 2021 recruiting class, we won't be needing his services!

First I agree with RICO, too much time talking about Ksuckey! 

Just felt compelled to speak to the oblivious parents who think TOO highly of their children! Seems Keion's dad may be one of them. We seem to have one in Justin's dad! (Although, I am extremely pleased with last nights performance.)

In my opposite experience, I lived thru 4 years of my daughters softball high school career, in which she seemed to be the annual target of the next coming of 'Jesus' PARENTAL talent for which the weak coach would BOW down to the PARENTS and play them over my daughter! (most never made it through 4 years and one was even kicked off the team before the end of her freshman year) OKAY, I'm biased also, but in her final game in regionals, putting off shoulder surgery the entire year, so she could play that final year, she was the DH, she was the only one to get past first base hitting! Also, watching her on field teammates look like FOOLS at times. She obviously after 4 years, was a better player than most of the ones on the field! Have to say, not one of my proudest parent moments, after the game my daughter could EASILY be heard calling her coach some of the most foul mouth things you could imagine! She completely, let her 4 years of frustration out!!! While, I don't condone her language, I have to say in my mind the coach and MORE importantly the "MY child is better than yours, parents, deserved it!!)

Perhaps, in retrospect I'm just as guilty for not defending my daughter those years!

Archived