Former Recruit Statlines (19-20)

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That will surely rank right up there with "I've been thinking about you a whole lot" in the category of all-time most regretted tweets.  

Dad's Twitter account may be an interesting one to follow this season...

I won't ever do it because I'm supposed to be an adult. If these minutes and basically nothing production wise keep up like this into January or February....I'd love Brian Snow or Snow and Parents to be asked to  have a sit down or podcast and explain how well their choice is working out.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I won't ever do it because I'm supposed to be an adult. If these minutes and basically nothing production wise keep up like this into January or February....I'd love Brian Snow or Snow and Parents to be asked to  have a sit down or podcast and explain how well their choice is working out.

Sad thing is, if this trend continues, you can bet at some point Calipari will say something like "he just didn't work hard enough"...probably not publicly unless a Twitter war is ignited, but privately he'll blame the kid for his failure to instruct and develop when all the kid was to begin with, was a backup plan.

Looks like this was a bad fit from day one but you can bet Crooked Cal pumped him up in the recruiting process telling him how great he was and with a little hard work he'd be grabbing those NBA millions at the end if the season.  Instead now I'm wondering how damaged he'll be by then.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Sad thing is, if this trend continues, you can bet at some point Calipari will say something like "he just didn't work hard enough"...probably not publicly unless a Twitter war is ignited, but privately he'll blame the kid for his failure to instruct and develop when all the kid was to begin with, was a backup plan.

Looks like this was a bad fit from day one but you can bet Crooked Cal pumped him up in the recruiting process telling him how great he was and with a little hard work he'd be grabbing those NBA millions at the end if the season.  Instead now I'm wondering how damaged he'll be by then.

All day long. Well said....which even to this day it's hard for me to understand his choice. He and those around him can deal with it but right now today only....since he's being recruited over already....this choice isn't looking like a good one.

Cal has had 8-9 transfers under his reign. Every year at least one moves on. Not suggesting KB leave but with semester coming up in the next month it's something I guarantee at least one UK player is thinking about. Transfer at semester and be eligible next year for conference play. Green, Lee, Wiltjer, Matthews.....there's 20 stars between the 4. 

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2 points in single digit minutes and no foul problems for a certain former 5 star recruit who chose the bench because he can get to the league. 

Actually he played 18 minutes but did only have 2 points. When UK is healthy, and competition gets better, he will get even less minutes.

46 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'd still take him. Kid has talent, and combine that with a small dose of humility and a big dose of motivation, results may be good.

Same. A lot of the kids that have transferred from UK have been really successful in their second stops. Kyle Wiltjer and Charles Matthews come to the top of my mind. I’m sure there are some that haven’t planned out, but it’s worth the chance. 

20 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Actually he played 18 minutes but did only have 2 points. When UK is healthy, and competition gets better, he will get even less minutes.

Indeed, I’ve seen a coach who, either by choice or necessity, has shorten his bench so frequently, season after season. 

I guess when you recruit players that will stay no longer than 1-2 seasons this is a natural byproduct. Still, one had to wonder how players he has recruited over, who could have developed into NBA talent in short order given a better developmental program/coaches.

I wonder if Brooks has seen this quote from ex-Kentucky player and Calipari recruit Wenyen Gabriel, who sent this to Kentucky target Jaden McDaniels:

“I can’t say I wish I didn’t go there because it still all worked out for me, but that (stuff) was (freaking) hard bro and I made a lot of mistakes. (During) my first conversation with [Calipari] he said I was a 6’10 shooting guard… Don’t fall in love with his words let me tell you the real! You look like you could be the next (Kevin Durant). But if you (are) not ready to do it like right NOW. Like if you (are) not ready to be one of the (best players) and make all the plays… then (you’ll) end up being just a skinny big man there. And trust me, that (stuff) is HARD. First thing’s first, if your handle is shaky, he’s (going to) stop you from dribbling. (That [will mess you] up because [you’re going] to feel handicapped). Then he (is going to) tell you to just catch and shoot, or go set a slip screen and try to get open from there. But if there are no bigs, (you will) be guarding all bigs…”

Basically, don't go there as a 5 star unless you are fully ready to produce and perform.  Brooks is clearly not that player.

"...don't fall in love with his words..."

This is what several of us have said here in the past. Cal's pitch may not be a lie, but it has the same effect. 

Also speaks to the lack of development. If your handle is shaky, he's going to stop you from dribbling...

Development...ain't nobody got time for that at UK...win NOW!

That quote...straight from a UK player confirms a lot of things I've thought about Cal for awhile.  It's going to be a struggle for Cal when all his burger boys skip college and go straight to the NBA. 

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Also speaks to the lack of development. If your handle is shaky, he's going to stop you from dribbling...

Won't work to strengthen your weaknesses, he'll mask them.

Is it a coincidence that the year he won his title, he had an upperclassman leader (Darius Miller) and two multi-dimensional players that didn't have too many glaring weaknesses, one of which is becoming a once in a decade level player (Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist)?

8 minutes ago, DJcandypants said:

Not sure how hard we actually recruited Ramsey for TT, but he is a man out there. He already has a pro level body, and certainly not scared to take over. Very impressed watching him.

We were one of his 5 visits, along with Louisville, Memphis and Miami. But, he's a Texas native, TT was his first visit, and he signed his LOI in the fall (translation : before their big run).

38 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Brooks with 9p 3r in 15 minutes. It's still early in the season so I don't get all the speculation of him being so unhappy at UK.

I wish the kid the best.  He's just a kid.  If the worst thing that happens to him is getting recruited over then transferring or God forbid, go to school long enough to graduate, I hope he does well.  

We may want his brother too. 

Some recent lines....

Aaron Henry (MSU) in a loss to V Tech

18 points

Ohio State guys in a win vs Kent State

CJ Walker 0 points

DJ Carton 11 points

Musa Jallow still injured

Keion Brooks Jr (Kentucky) in a win vs Lamar

9 points in 15 minutes Averaging 5 points 4 rebs a game)

Triston Watford (LSU) in a win vs Rhode Island 

16, 6, 2 (averaging 12 points 6 rebs a game)

Tre Mitchell (UMASS) win vs ?

14 points, 12 rebs (averaging 12 and 6)

10 points, 2 rebs vs Virginia in a close game

Harlond Beverly (Miami) in a loss to UCONN

7 points, 3 revs, 3 assists (averaging 9, 2, and 2)

Paul Scruggs (Xavier) in a loss to Florida

24 points

Lester Quinones (Memphis) in a 1 point win vs Ole Miss

2 points (averaging 10 and 3 a game)

19 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Some recent lines....

Aaron Henry (MSU) in a loss to V Tech

18 points

Ohio State guys in a win vs Kent State

CJ Walker 0 points

DJ Carton 11 points

Musa Jallow still injured

Keion Brooks Jr (Kentucky) in a win vs Lamar

9 points in 15 minutes Averaging 5 points 4 rebs a game)

Triston Watford (LSU) in a win vs Rhode Island 

16, 6, 2 (averaging 12 points 6 rebs a game)

Tre Mitchell (UMASS) win vs ?

14 points, 12 rebs (averaging 12 and 6)

10 points, 2 rebs vs Virginia in a close game

Harlond Beverly (Miami) in a loss to UCONN

7 points, 3 revs, 3 assists (averaging 9, 2, and 2)

Paul Scruggs (Xavier) in a loss to Florida

24 points

Lester Quinones (Memphis) in a 1 point win vs Ole Miss

2 points (averaging 10 and 3 a game)

Saw Lester Quinones will be out at least 3 weeks with a broken hand

• 4 weeks later...

About 1/3 of the way through the regular season... 

Keion Brooks Jr, Kentucky

7p, 4r, 1 TO, 18 minutes per game

Trendon Watford, LSU

13p, 6r, 3a, 28 mpg

Harlond Beverly, Miami

8p, 2r, 2a, 1TO, 22 mpg

Lester Quinones, Memphis

10p, 4r, 4a, 2TO, 25 mpg

Matthew Hurt, Duke

11p, 3r, 1a, 1TO, 24mpg

Jahmi'us Ramsey, Texas Tech

17p, 6a, 2r, 2TO, 28 mpg

DJ Carton, Ohio State

11p, 3a, 3r, 2TO, 23mpg

1 minute ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

About 1/3 of the way through the regular season... 

Keion Brooks Jr, Kentucky

7p, 4r, 1 TO, 18 minutes per game

I can't help but to think what Keion is thinking when he sees the success TJD is having this year in comparison to him...you know he pays attention to it. Unfortunately for Keion he is in a bit of a quagmire because I think his plan was to be one and done and he's a long way from being that. Needless to say, Cal also has a stacked class coming in next year that will surely limit Keion's minutes as a sophmore....

31 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I can't help but to think what Keion is thinking when he sees the success TJD is having this year in comparison to him...you know he pays attention to it. Unfortunately for Keion he is in a bit of a quagmire because I think his plan was to be one and done and he's a long way from being that. Needless to say, Cal also has a stacked class coming in next year that will surely limit Keion's minutes as a sophmore....

There seems to be a theory that Brooks was hoping to be a one and done. In reality his major is “exploratory studies in Agriculture” which leads me to believe he actually wants to be a farmer.

Archived