PS Post-Game Thread

5 minutes ago, BEKA said:

This game should have been a blowout. Not sure what Archie's offensive (or even defensive) plan is, if any. His entire career at IU so far has been...clunky, at best. I want to believe in this dude, but I'm not sold. This was a *home* game against a bottom feeding creampuff with way less talent. I'm glad for the win, but I'm not seeing what I'm expecting to see in year 3. 

Why would you complain about the offense?  Shot 50% from the field, 22-30 from the line, committed only 10 turnovers, and had 4 players in double figures.

Defensively?  Yeah, that was a bad effort. Especially concerned about how many ties they went to the line.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BEKA said:

This game should have been a blowout. Not sure what Archie's offensive (or even defensive) plan is, if any. His entire career at IU so far has been...clunky, at best. I want to believe in this dude, but I'm not sold. This was a *home* game against a bottom feeding creampuff with way less talent. I'm glad for the win, but I'm not seeing what I'm expecting to see in year 3. 

What exactly was wrong with the offense?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Why would you complain about the offense?  Shot 50% from the field, 22-30 from the line, committed only 10 turnovers, and had 4 players in double figures.

Defensively?  Yeah, that was a bad effort. Especially concerned about how many ties they went to the line.

Against Portland State? Sure, those stats look great against a Kenpom rated 277 squad. Those numbers aren't going to hold up going forward against actual competition though if we don't correct things in a hurry. 

Our defense definitely isn't where we want it to be yet. We had spurts, but very inconsistent.

That said, Portland St wasn't as bad as some people are making them out to be. They had a couple of kids who could play, especially their guards, and I was impressed with their coach. They had an "attitude" and they played together. 

As I said in the game thread, we got just a glimpse of what kind of force Hunter can be. Couple that with Devonte, an improved Al, and I know Rob will get his shot back, we should be ok shooting it.

But I think for this team to finish top 4 in the B10, we have to bludgeon people to death with our inside depth. I think Jblaz said it in the game thread, we have to be more physical inside, and finish strong, not falling away. And I say that thinking De'Ron has dropped to 3rd on the depth chart at the 5.

@dbmhoosier, since you 'liked' BEKA's post, I'll ask you the same thing I did him.

I'm all for conversation about both the good and the bad.  But, when something that worked pretty well is criticized, it comes off as just looking for something to complain about more than constructive dialogue.

1 minute ago, BEKA said:

Against Portland State? Sure, those stats look great against a Kenpom rated 277 squad. Those numbers aren't going to hold up going forward against actual competition though if we don't correct things in a hurry. 

And, we're also missing our best offensive player.

6 minutes ago, BEKA said:

You said the offense was bad, it wasn’t.

Portland State hit 8 3s....and was down by 18 at one point. 

And there is time to improve defense. IU is “not in a hurry” with the schedule this month.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our defense definitely isn't where we want it to be yet. We had spurts, but very inconsistent.

That said, Portland St wasn't as bad as some people are making them out to be. They had a couple of kids who could play, especially their guards, and I was impressed with their coach. They had an "attitude" and they played together. 

As I said in the game thread, we got just a glimpse of what kind of force Hunter can be. Couple that with Devonte, an improved Al, and I know Rob will get his shot back, we should be ok shooting it.

But I think for this team to finish top 4 in the B10, we have to bludgeon people to death with our inside depth. I think Jblaz said it in the game thread, we have to be more physical inside, and finish strong, not falling away. And I say that thinking De'Ron has dropped to 3rd on the depth chart at the 5.

D Davis is probably last on the depth chart for all players in the rotation.

He just doesn’t have the foot speed.

image.png.d32c5c73ed4a1365f309045f10a206ca.png

~21% from behind the arc, AND a better FT% from a WAY inferior team should concern anyone interested in the offensive side of things. Sure, our inside game took that away against a smaller team, but if you still aren't concerned about our ability to shoot the ball from outside, I don't even know what to say. Also, FTs are better, but they still beat us there too. 

23 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Portland State wasn't a horrible team. KenPom rankings aren't very relevant at this stage of the season. No way that squad is one of the ~75 worst in the country this year. I'd probably guess they end the year in the top 150 range.

That having been said, the defense needs a lot of work...

Not that it really matters but they were also picked to finish 7th in the mighty Big Sky. Maybe they will turn out to be a lot better but I’m guessing they aren’t real good. At the end of the year all that will matter is that a W is a W.

17 minutes ago, BEKA said:

~21% from behind the arc, AND a better FT% from a WAY inferior team should concern anyone interested in the offensive side of things. Sure, our inside game took that away against a smaller team, but if you still aren't concerned about our ability to shoot the ball from outside, I don't even know what to say. Also, FTs are better, but they still beat us there too. 

If IU shoots 73% from the line for the season and wins games, I don't care if the other team shoots a slightly better percentage.

You had a legitimate point about not shooting well from distance, but you mucked it up complaining about free throws.

20 minutes ago, BEKA said:

The number of free throws is concerning.  But, that's a defense problem, not an offensive one.  The percentage of free throws is not something you can control.  5-5 from the line looks pretty from a percentage standpoint, but something like 16-30, which is a bad percentage, is more of an indicator of poor defense.  There is not a coach alive that would rather have the opponent shoot 16-30 from the line over 5-5.   While I certainly do not want to send a team to the line 32 times, I frankly do not care if they made every single one of them as long as we win.   As far as IU's FT percentage, over the course of the year, 73.3% will put you above average in the country. 

In regards to the 3 point percentage, yeah it stinks.  But, we did shoot it well the previous game.  And, I look at the number we shot and am happy that we seem to know we are not very good from there, so we're shooting fewer of them this season.  A lot of teams will jack up 30 of them every game whether they can make them or not.  With us limiting our attempts, I consider that to be good self-awareness, which means we DO know what we are doing on offense.  

It's not like IU is the only team in the country that is going to beat an inferior opponent by less than 12 points this season.  I would venture to say every single one of the Top 50 teams in the country will have a game be closer than what it should be.

59 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Working him back from his earlier injury - condition 

That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure.

Personally I'd much rather have him as our starting PG over Franklin just because of his experience. My other thought was that maybe since Green is currently out, he's been starting Durham and Franklin together to build chemistry since they could be running the second unit or could be playing together a lot.

3 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure.

Personally I'd much rather have him as our starting PG over Franklin just because of his experience. My other thought was that maybe since Green is currently out, he's been starting Durham and Franklin together to build chemistry since they could be running the second unit or could be playing together a lot.

There is zero chance Al Durham comes off the bench at any point this season, unless he, himself, is nursing an injury.  

"It's not like IU is the only team in the country that is going to beat an inferior opponent by less than 12 points this season"

Yeah just look at some of CAM's more negative fans more favored coach for IU. He managed to pull away at the end by hitting free throws to win by 6 points over the Kenpom 285 team Texas Southern!

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@dbmhoosier, since you 'liked' BEKA's post, I'll ask you the same thing I did him.

I'm all for conversation about both the good and the bad.  But, when something that worked pretty well is criticized, it comes off as just looking for something to complain about more than constructive dialogue.

I'm saying that we actually shot well yet still only beat this bottom feeder by 10. That's scary. If you had told me we shoot like before the game I would have bet the farm on a 25+ point win.  Hopefully it was just an off game.

8 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

With everyone healthy, what do you think our starting lineup will be?

I think it will change multiple times throughout the season based on opponent and who is playing/practicing well at the time, but at the end of the year, if you are looking for the guy most likely to start every game, it's going to be Al.  If Archie feels he needs to choose between Devonte or Al at some point, I think Devonte is the one coming off then bench.  

Also, I personally don't think Rob coming off the bench today had anything to do with his conditioning.  I think it was an ongoing reward to Armaan for playing so well.  Now that Rob has finally outplayed Armaan, I think we'll see Rob start next game.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Also, I personally don't think Rob coming off the bench today had anything to do with his conditioning.  I think it was an ongoing reward to Armaan for playing so well.  Now that Rob has finally outplayed Armaan, I think we'll see Rob start next game.  

I wonder if it's more that coach sees a potential backup to Rob in an area of concern and wants to get him as much play as he can? I mean really before Amaan showed who was the backup point?

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just finished watching Arch at presser.

Some poor schmuck ask him about "load management" for the team. Really set him off. He looked like he wanted to tell the reporter to go F himself 🤣

LOL< I saw that. I thought Archie was going to loose it. said load management under his breath like 3 times. J.D. said Archie wasn't at the presser yesterday because he was tired of answering the same questions every presser. So he sent Coach O to answer the same questions.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

LOL< I saw that. I thought Archie was going to loose it. said load management under his breath like 3 times. J.D. said Archie wasn't at the presser yesterday because he was tired of answering the same questions every presser. So he sent Coach O to answer the same questions.

Archie needs to relax.  It's all part of being head coach at a school that is passionate about the sport.  The head coach at Dayton may not have to answer those questions, but that coach does not have as many zeroes in his contract either.   

Archived