PS Post-Game Thread

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Also, I personally don't think Rob coming off the bench today had anything to do with his conditioning.  I think it was an ongoing reward to Armaan for playing so well.  Now that Rob has finally outplayed Armaan, I think we'll see Rob start next game.  

Archie addressed that in the post game presser. Rob didn't start because he's only practiced 1/10th of the time (Archie's words) of the others.

I'm not saying this is going to be the starting lineup, but I think the most productive lineup will be TDJ (and I really hate herding him into the 5 spot, but...), Smith, Hunter, Devonte, and Rob. Durham has been good, but he's not the defensive player Rob is, and that matters to CAM.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Archie addressed that in the post game presser. Rob didn't start because he's only practiced 1/10th of the time (Archie's words) of the others.

I'm not saying this is going to be the starting lineup, but I think the most productive lineup will be TDJ (and I really hate herding him into the 5 spot, but...), Smith, Hunter, Devonte, and Rob. Durham has been good, but he's not the defensive player Rob is, and that matters to CAM.

In that lineup, Durham does not start over Rob, he starts over Jerome.  

Al, may not be the defender Rob is, or have the explosive offensive potential of Devonte, but he MAY be a better overall player than either one of them.  And, you factor in his leadership, and there is no way he's not starting.   

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In that lineup, Durham does not start over Rob, he starts over Jerome.  

Al, may not be the defender Rob is, or have the explosive offensive potential of Devonte, but he MAY be a better overall player than either one of them.  And, you factor in his leadership, and there is no way he's not starting.   

We'll see. I don't think Rob, Devonte, and Al are going to be on the floor together a lot simply because of our lack of backcourt depth.

And I really believe that before the conference schedule starts in earnest, Jerome Hunter will earn a ton of playing time.

1 hour ago, BEKA said:

Against Portland State? Sure, those stats look great against a Kenpom rated 277 squad. Those numbers aren't going to hold up going forward against actual competition though if we don't correct things in a hurry. 

Offense will be fine because this team does not rely on the 3 and we will be able to hit those same shots no matter who we play.  If you don't turn the ball over and you get to the line 30+ times you will be in most games.  Also our best offensive player is not even playing and when he gets back and healthy the offense should open up more.

56 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Not that it really matters but they were also picked to finish 7th in the mighty Big Sky. Maybe they will turn out to be a lot better but I’m guessing they aren’t real good. At the end of the year all that will matter is that a W is a W.

Have to remember all of these rankings and predictions were based on last year and they have like 10 new players this year.  There is no way in knowing how to ranked those team this early n the season.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll see. I don't think Rob, Devonte, and Al are going to be on the floor together a lot simply because of our lack of backcourt depth.

And I really believe that before the conference schedule stars in earnest, Jerome Hunter will earn a ton of playing time.

Devonte compliments Armaan's playing style more than Al does.  Al and Armaan have very similar games.  I still think we see a lot of 3 guard offense, but when it is only two guards, I  expect Devonte to be paired up with Armaan the majority of the time and Rob to be paired up with Al.   

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree about not wanting to herd TJD into the 5 spot. Hopefully Bunk and Davis, although seemingly to a much less extent, can combine to eat up 25 or so of the 5 spot minutes.

1 hour ago, BEKA said:

image.png.d32c5c73ed4a1365f309045f10a206ca.png

~21% from behind the arc, AND a better FT% from a WAY inferior team should concern anyone interested in the offensive side of things. Sure, our inside game took that away against a smaller team, but if you still aren't concerned about our ability to shoot the ball from outside, I don't even know what to say. Also, FTs are better, but they still beat us there too. 

Just think if they had it just two more 3's they would have ben like 36% so you are worrying about 2 more makes.

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our defense definitely isn't where we want it to be yet. We had spurts, but very inconsistent.

That said, Portland St wasn't as bad as some people are making them out to be. They had a couple of kids who could play, especially their guards, and I was impressed with their coach. They had an "attitude" and they played together. 

As I said in the game thread, we got just a glimpse of what kind of force Hunter can be. Couple that with Devonte, an improved Al, and I know Rob will get his shot back, we should be ok shooting it.

But I think for this team to finish top 4 in the B10, we have to bludgeon people to death with our inside depth. I think Jblaz said it in the game thread, we have to be more physical inside, and finish strong, not falling away. And I say that thinking De'Ron has dropped to 3rd on the depth chart at the 5.

The issue with your last point is, after all the preseason talk about our depth inside, through two games it’s looking like we might actually be stronger at the guard spot.  Phinisee, Durham, and hopefully Green will be 3 of the 5 or 6 best players on the team, and Franklin is looking like a game changer who’s not going to let Archie keep him on the bench.  Smith and TJD look great and are going to get a ton of minutes, and Hunter will become a bigger part of the rotation as he gets more comfortable.  Brunk and Thompson are going to be key rotation players, but there’s just not enough versatility/scoring on the floor when they’re playing with Smith/TJD and 2 guards.  And maybe I’m jumping the gun, but DeRon just looks... Done.  Don’t see him playing a big role.

Our best lineup thus far has pretty clearly been Phinisee/Franklin, Durham, Hunter, Smith, and TJD.  Just dumping it into the lane like we tried to do all last year isn’t going to work in the Big Ten... Our bigs aren’t really physical/skilled enough for that.  Gotta get out and run to take advantage of Smith and TJD’s athleticism, hope that the guards and Hunter can provide enough shooting/scoring from the perimeter, and take advantage of our size when the opportunity presents itself.

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'd like to see the +/- for these last 2 games. Anyone know of a boxscore that has it?

This site has what's called the 'Box Plus/Minus', which is an advanced statistical take on the plus/minus instead of a straight download of who scored what when the player was on teh floor.  It only has the first game, and should be updated for today's game by tomorrow morning.  you'll find it down in the 'Advanced' stat section.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2020.html

48 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm saying that we actually shot well yet still only beat this bottom feeder by 10. That's scary. If you had told me we shoot like before the game I would have bet the farm on a 25+ point win.  Hopefully it was just an off game.

The reason we did not win by that margin was due to our defense and allowing to shoot 32 free throws and not our offense.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I assume the answer will be no but....

Before, during or after the game was there any sort of estimate as to when Green will be back?

Coach said the plan is to bring him along slowly. From his hamstring.  No different than De'Ron, who happens to be further along from his hamstring that kept De'Ron out of HH.

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Devonte compliments Armaan's playing style more than Al does.  Al and Armaan have very similar games.  I still think we see a lot of 3 guard offense, but when it is only two guards, I  expect Devonte to be paired up with Armaan the majority of the time and Rob to be paired up with Al.   

I'll agree to disagree. Our two best point guards are Rob and Al. Archie himself said that Devonte is better "when someone is with him" (meaning he isn't the primary ball handler and is playing the 2 spot alongside a 1). And while I think Franklin has a ton of potential, he is a freshman.

If I was going to bet on 2 guards to play a lot together, it'd be Devonte and Rob. I do think you have a good point on Al and Armaan having similar games, but I believe to get the best Devonte we can have, and in my eyes he's the MOST important piece if we're going to go very far, he has to be paired with Rob. That'll be one helluva defensive backcourt too.

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just think if they had it just two more 3's they would have ben like 36% so you are worrying about 2 more makes.

Making two more does not sound like much but.....

If IU had made 2 more threes per game last year we would have shot 42%, rather than 31%, from the three (ie one of the better teams in the country vs one of the worst from the three).

PS: not meant as a knock on your statement but just showing the narrow difference between being bad and well above average.

40 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The issue with your last point is, after all the preseason talk about our depth inside, through two games it’s looking like we might actually be stronger at the guard spot.  Phinisee, Durham, and hopefully Green will be 3 of the 5 or 6 best players on the team, and Franklin is looking like a game changer who’s not going to let Archie keep him on the bench.  Smith and TJD look great and are going to get a ton of minutes, and Hunter will become a bigger part of the rotation as he gets more comfortable.  Brunk and Thompson are going to be key rotation players, but there’s just not enough versatility/scoring on the floor when they’re playing with Smith/TJD and 2 guards.  And maybe I’m jumping the gun, but DeRon just looks... Done.  Don’t see him playing a big role.

Our best lineup thus far has pretty clearly been Phinisee/Franklin, Durham, Hunter, Smith, and TJD.  Just dumping it into the lane like we tried to do all last year isn’t going to work in the Big Ten... Our bigs aren’t really physical/skilled enough for that.  Gotta get out and run to take advantage of Smith and TJD’s athleticism, hope that the guards and Hunter can provide enough shooting/scoring from the perimeter, and take advantage of our size when the opportunity presents itself.

Not sure I agree with your opening sentence. We had 3 frontcourt players who almost had double-doubles (TJD did, and Race finished 1 rebound shy, Justin 2 boards shy) and our 3 starting frontcourt players accounted for 37 of the 59 points starters scored. We won because of our frontcourt. If Al hadn't had a good game offensively, the guard's numbers wouldn't look so good. 

And while I like Franklin and see a ton of potential, I'm not sure he's a game changer just yet.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Archie needs to relax.  It's all part of being head coach at a school that is passionate about the sport.  The head coach at Dayton may not have to answer those questions, but that coach does not have as many zeroes in his contract either.   

H.... I think he needs to take a page out of the Coach Knight playbook when it comes to dealing with the press morons!

Archived