PS Post-Game Thread

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with this. I do think we'll definitely need De'Ron and Joey when we face the Kaleb Wessons and the Giorgio Bezhanshvilis of the B10. Be hard for TJD, Race, or Justin to guard those 2. 

Bezhanishvili is a 6’9 stretch forward... That’s exactly the type of player Smith, TJD, and Thompson are equipped to guard.  Kofi Cockburn is the type of beast they might struggle with... But it’s not like DeRon and Brunk are quick or athletic enough to present much of a matchup problem.

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Bezhanishvili is a 6’9 stretch forward... That’s exactly the type of player Smith, TJD, and Thompson are equipped to guard.  Kofi Cockburn is the type of beast they might struggle with... But it’s not like DeRon and Brunk are quick or athletic enough to present much of a matchup problem.

Link to Brad Underwood comment on Giorgi's game

“We sure the heck don’t want to forget about Giorgi’s true strength, which is in the post-up area,” Underwood said. “He’s a ton to handle there as well. It’s one of the things we’re working at, we’re looking at. That’s what will make Italy pretty meaningful is to be able to throw those two out there together.”

We try to play Giorgi with one of the guys you mentioned, and he'll take them down to the post and wear us out. Watch the highlights of the game in Champaign. Juwan couldn't handle him. When De'Ron came in and started pushing him out and being physical with him, we had some success. They exchanged words if memory serves...

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kind of echoing Gleas here -- that lineup is just not our best, the 'big' lineup is slower and gets bogged down.

Just my thinking -- imo CAM is both experimenting and developing the larger lineup for B1G play when we face a big front line team, or for when we can exploit a smaller team. When Green is back, and Rob and Hunter at full strength, think we'll see more of the 'smaller' lineup -- smaller in quotes as Hunter is I think 6'7 and with him on the wing, that's not exactly small, but it's more wing-oriented and quicker.

Yeah, I just think our best lineups are quicker, faster and more skilled. I like our bigs and I think they all bring some good things to the table, it's exciting that all of them can actually play, we don't have one true bench warmer in the bunch. But with that said, there also isn't a guy in that group that can just dominate the paint. There isn't a Kaleb Wesson or a Thomas Bryant or a Ethan Happ, at least not yet. 

Except for De'Ron in small spurts, there isn't a guy that we can dump the ball down to 4-5 possessions in a row and let him go to work. We have nice bigs that compete and have skill, but there's not a dominant force, and there isn't one that also has the skill to step out and knock down some three's, etc. 

So I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to play big for long stretches, unless a matchup dictates it. 

Archived