Athletes to be paid for name, image and likeness

Iuprof

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Canes fan since 1983. I understand....but I can't wait for it to happen. Totally different programs but Canes and IU hoops have been also mirrors of each other. Historical dominance and ran into the ground for past 20 years with a few seasons here and there.

Worked with a Miami Grad off and on he worked in the other plant, he's a great guy. Not saying Miami is Miami Swagger, but Miami Swagger has no place! @Seeking6 I'm with you it's like the statement, when IU basketball is good all basketball is good!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More on the NIL news, from Inside The Hall.

I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more.  It seems like a big deal for our players, and for recruiting.

Anonymous donor commits $1 million in matching funds to IU NIL collectives

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/11/14/anonymous-donor-commits-1-million-in-matching-funds-to-iu-nil-collectives/

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more.  It seems like a big deal for our players, and for recruiting.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/11/14/anonymous-donor-commits-1-million-in-matching-funds-to-iu-nil-collectives/

Not from the ITH articles, but everywhere else I have read about this suggests that the money is going to benefit the football program more than any others.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not from the ITH articles, but everywhere else I have read about this suggests that the money is going to benefit the football program more than any others.

Good to know.  I've only seen the two articles I linked.  Perhaps it has to do with allocation?    The articles I've read said it will match funds in Hoosiers For Good, which is most of the basketball team.

I knew it wasn't exclusively basketball, though.  And there are a LOT of football players.

Nice to hear from you, Steuben!  You getting snow up there?  I worked at Pokagon State Park for a few years.  Great area.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZPz3G3WQAEFxH0?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

I sent my $ in....but several less zeros. Whoever he or she is who did this must need a lot of end of year deductions. Haha. Never seen a donation with such a specific timeline. 

50 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Good to know.  I've only seen the two articles I linked.  Perhaps it has to do with allocation?    The articles I've read said it will match funds in Hoosiers For Good, which is most of the basketball team.

I knew it wasn't exclusively basketball, though.  And there are a LOT of football players.

Nice to hear from you, Steuben!  You getting snow up there?  I worked at Pokagon State Park for a few years.  Great area.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZPz3G3WQAEFxH0?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Still confused at why Leal wasn’t included in this? He’s the only scholarship guy left off.

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Still confused at why Leal wasn’t included in this? He’s the only scholarship guy left off.

It's never been confirmed nor denied if Leal's mother being an IU employee changes some of the legal strings attached to his scholarship??? Idk, just trying to think outside the box why he would be left out.  He literally seems so selfless that he may defer and say use it to lure a big fish that will help hang a banner.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's never been confirmed nor denied if Leal's mother being an IU employee changes some of the legal strings attached to his scholarship??? Idk, just trying to think outside the box why he would be left out.  He literally seems so selfless that he may defer and say use it to lure a big fish that will help hang a banner.  

I see what you’re saying, but he’s losing out on real money that he could be sticking in his pocket. Hard time believing he’s just a nice guy that’s passing up cash. With that said, I wonder if there were only 11 spots that made sense, and with one going to the female in the pic, one guy was going to be an odd man out. Maybe he volunteered himself out and was promised other opportunities? Or maybe he was told in a nice way that he’s the least “advertisable” (I know that’s not a word, just couldn’t get out what I was wanting) on the team? Or maybe the others were just invited and he wasn’t (pretty crappy but life isn’t fair). Or maybe there’s a reason he didn’t want to be a part of Hoosiers for Good… service maybe going to areas he didn’t believe in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I see what you’re saying, but he’s losing out on real money that he could be sticking in his pocket. Hard time believing he’s just a nice guy that’s passing up cash. 

I'm not convinced that he's motivated by money thru NIL. I think he's an "I want to earn it by hard work" kind of guy. He went out this summer and got his real estate license to be a professional realtor.

Frankly, I'm amazed that he hasn't entered the portal. He could start for a lot of D1 teams, and yet he's "happy" to be relagated to the end of the bench. He is as loyal as they come. TJD had some very nice compliments for him over the sumemr.

His play is not bad at all IMO, but Woody evidently doesn't see him as a major piece of the puzzle. I really feel bad for the kid. He wants to win above all else. Plays with his heart. Great role model for young men.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm not convinced that he's motivated by money thru NIL. I think he's an "I want to earn it by hard work" kind of guy. He went out this summer and got his real estate license to be a professional realtor.

Frankly, I'm amazed that he hasn't entered the portal. He could start for a lot of D1 teams, and yet he's "happy" to be relagated to the end of the bench. He is as loyal as they come. TJD had some very nice compliments for him over the sumemr.

His play is not bad at all IMO, but Woody evidently doesn't see him as a major piece of the puzzle. I really feel bad for the kid. He wants to win above all else. Plays with his heart. Great role model for young men.

Smart kid 

if you want to stay around Indy area an IU degree with basketball legacy is hard to beat 

You are on scholarship for life 

some use IU basketball to get to nba others play the long game 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DWB said:

I don’t disagree on the ability part. I’m hoping he’s the Miller Kopp role his last two years. Kid plays hard, is usually pretty good on D, and would fill it up with enough opportunities. 

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

NIL is one thing, but I think this proposal will sink collegiate athletics as we know it...

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/11/16/ncpa-revenue-sharing-ncaa-michigan-pitt-hunter-dickinson

It took the NCAA several decades to build up football & bball to the level it is now. And now, players who only participate  2-4 years in most cases, want to cash in on revenue sharing. Not profit sharing, but revenue sharing. If the players are so discontented with their current renumeration, then leave and go somewhere else....like the pros, or McDonald's.

And of course, it only took a paragraph or two to turn this into a race issue. It's thinly veiled as an athletic issue but it's not.

Taking that same line of thinking (revenue sharing) what's to stop anybody from claiming they want revenue sharing from all the tax money high schools get, because they are a student there? It's absurd.

If any smidgeon of this occurs (NIL is pretty close already), college athletics will forever be morphed into something we won't recognize. 

• Like 1

When I read these things and they talk about fairness, I……

What about athletes in the other sports that don’t generate real revenue? They put in the work, they make sacrifices, all because they want to compete. I think if they want fairness then the ones making big money in NIL should share their revenue with all of the athletes. See how many of them would support that?

• Like 1

I'm always surprised by the mood of the board on this and related topics. I would assume that capitalism is pretty highly regarded by posters here. I would further assume that regulation of that capitalism is generally disfavored. Yet, for some reason the prevailing attitude is that basketball players who generate revenue shouldn't be able to receive payment from schools that want to pay them. So capitalism should not only be regulated, but flat out proscribed.

I think the unavoidable end-state of the current NIL landscape is one way or another (eg. encouraging donations) schools will funnel money to players so there is a consistent "salary" for players. If Dickinson et al. succeed in getting money directly from schools, it's really just one less layer of bureaucracy and doesn't seem to impact the end result one way or the other. I don't think it's going to be some great windfall for them over the NIL, but it probably simplifies things and gives coaches more control of their programs.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

When I read these things and they talk about fairness, I……

What about athletes in the other sports that don’t generate real revenue? They put in the work, they make sacrifices, all because they want to compete. I think if they want fairness then the ones making big money in NIL should share their revenue with all of the athletes. See how many of them would support that?

It's laughable that baseball still only gets 11.7 scholarships and only 2 paid assistants lol 

Start there and then fix the rest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How much does IU women's rowing generate? Are they in the black? Are they in the red? 

What about the track teams? Or water polo? Tennis? Do ANY of these sports operate in the black? 

That is my point about the "lessor" sports and the NIL and revenue sharing.  I don't know what all the answers are concerning the NIL or revenue sharing when talking the non-revenue generating sports.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

That is my point about the "lessor" sports and the NIL and revenue sharing.  I don't know what all the answers are concerning the NIL or revenue sharing when talking the non-revenue generating sports.

And that's the stick.  If revenue generating sports players start getting a cut, universities then have to decide, do we cut non revenue generating sports or figure out a way to pay for them like Naia and d2/3 schools do?  But the fact remains.  College basketball and more so football are multi billion dollar enterprises.  The current system actually is a revenue sharing system, that trickles down to the non generating sports.  The basketball and football players believe, and rightly so in my opinion, that since they are the product on the field, they should get a cut of the billions.  

How a swimmer can complain about not getting TV rights money when only 50 people tune in to watch their swim meet, as opposed to any B1G football game drawing 40000 plus fans and millions of viewers on tv.  Check this out.  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/11/college-football-ratings-big-ten-most-watched-third-straight-week/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

If Dickinson et al. succeed in getting money directly from schools, it's really just one less layer of bureaucracy and doesn't seem to impact the end result one way or the other.

If players become employees it will destroy colligate sports...

And it might not be such a good deal for student athletes. Everything they get now is considered part of the scholarship... Food, medical, housing... When they become employees, it becomes compensation.

There are so many questions... What happens to non-revenue producing sports? What happens to minor conferences and teams who aren't in on a big TV contract? Think about the sheer number of kids that would affect...

There's only so much money to go around... 

• Like 1