Athletes to be paid for name, image and likeness

Iuprof

Honestly, I think these diaper dandys should shut the hell up and appreciate the fact  they were born with the talent to be in the .1% of athletes.  I would have given my left nut to sit on the bench for IU. I would have given both nuts to see a minute of big 10 playing time. 

They need to quit their bitching.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know, to be honest, but I suspect that the more money, politics and an attitude of entitlement becomes the focus of a sport, the less I'll watch.  That's absolutely verifiable with my NFL and NASCAR viewership (never watched much NBA to begin with).   MMA and IU basketball is most of what I watch in the sports world these days.  When the olympics roll around, I usually spend a decent amount of time watching a lot of sports I'd otherwise never see.  These sports just seem a lot "purer" and a lot less predictable to me and at the moment and seem mostly unspoiled by money.  If that changes, I can see myself losing interest as I have with other sports.

There will always be a hardcore group of fans, like a lot of the members here that will still watch.  Personally, if my watching trends of the NFL and NASCAR are any guide for me, I could see me shunning affected sports for Impractical Jokers and Seinfeld reruns.

Watch curling 

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If they are playing sports players they are no longer just an educational enterprise, they are a sports franchise.

TAs are the perfect analogy. Paying a student to teach a class in no way endangers a school's tax status. Paying a student to play basketball would similarly have no affect.

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Honestly, I think these diaper dandys should shut the hell up and appreciate the fact  they were born with the talent to be in the .1% of athletes.  I would have given my left nut to sit on the bench for IU. I would have given both nuts to see a minute of big 10 playing time. 

They need to quit their bitching.  

I'm venturing to this side. We are producing prima donnas at an historical rate in our country. Entitlement has grown exponentially. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Bitter old female basketball coach hates on beautiful young female gymnast for making NIL money.

Gymnast tells her to stuff it.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lsus-olivia-dunne-ends-nil-drama-only-taking-steps-forward

NIL money.JPG

What gets me about Tara talking about taking steps backwards for women in sports, where has she been in the Lia Thomas controversy?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Bitter old female basketball coach hates on beautiful young female gymnast for making NIL money.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lsus-olivia-dunne-ends-nil-drama-only-taking-steps-forward

NIL money.JPG

I guarantee she wouldn’t say a thing if she had the ability to market herself the same way and make that much $.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madison22 said:

NIL money.JPG

The top comment had me rolling. Seems most the time I scroll to a comment section first for my daily dose of entertainment.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Harvard has 50 billion tax free 

IU & Purdue over 3 billion

buildings & land are long since paid for

professors aren’t getting huge raises

yet tuition is 5 times more than when I was in school 

they constantly beg for money 💴 

Just curious where it all goes 

From my understanding it's for Keeping Up with the Joneses. Upgrading facilities, research, wooing researchers to come to the school, etc.

The system is very inefficient and they don't really have any incentive to make changes so that it becomes efficient. Thus they just keep raising tuition.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, slojoe said:

JHS and TJD just got adidas contracts.

I saw nothing on amounts but seems significant.

Good for recruiting!

Nice find!  Thank you!

Here's a short article that agrees it will help recruiting.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2022/12/8/23500476/indiana-mens-basketball-jalen-hood-schifino-and-trayce-jackson-davis-sign-adidas-nil-deals