2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Only 5 guys in the league with batting average of .300 and .950 OPS since 2017. Besides Arenado...Trout, Yelich, Martinez, and Rendon. I get the point but I'll accept those risks. 

I think I might too...Arenado is a better defender and I think could put up similar numbers to Bryant. 

I'd hope and prospects for Kris would start with young arms. I've heard the Braves mentioned, and they have a well stocked system (and young arms already in the Bigs) that would be interesting to me...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think I might too...Arenado is a better defender and I think could put up similar numbers to Bryant. 

I'd hope and prospects for Kris would start with young arms. I've heard the Braves mentioned, and they have a well stocked system (and young arms already in the Bigs) that would be interesting to me...

Last I knew the Braves were hot after Josh Donaldson?

18 minutes ago, rico said:

The Cards trade Jose Martinez to the Rays.  It was a 3 for 3, 6 player swap.

I saw where the Cards and the Rangers are the 2 front runners for Arenado too.

Meanwhile, the Cubs aren't addressing a gaping hole in the #5 spot in the rotation, nor are they trying to shore up the bullpen. 

I do think as it stands, the Cubs have as good a starting 8 as anybody in the game, but I'm not sure simply a managerial change and nickel-dime moves are going to cut it with the way the other teams in the NL Central (yes, including the Reds) are beefing up.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw where the Cards and the Rangers are the 2 front runners for Arenado too.

Meanwhile, the Cubs aren't addressing a gaping hole in the #5 spot in the rotation, nor are they trying to shore up the bullpen. 

I do think as it stands, the Cubs have as good a starting 8 as anybody in the game, but I'm not sure simply a managerial change and nickel-dime moves are going to cut it with the way the other teams in the NL Central (yes, including the Reds) are beefing up.

As we have discussed in the past, the Cubs very well might be seeing how they fare in the 1st half.  And as you said their positional 8 are as good as anybody's if not the best.  But I still think they make some other marginal moves before February.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

As we have discussed in the past, the Cubs very well might be seeing how they fare in the 1st half.  And as you said their positional 8 are as good as anybody's if not the best.  But I still think they make some other marginal moves before February.

A marginal move to fill the 5th starter slot doesn't thrill me. I know the top guys are off the market, but there has to be someone better than Mills, Chatwood, or Cotton. Maybe Alzolay will emerge, but you know me...pitching is the most important piece of your team...

12 minutes ago, rico said:

The rumor is that the Reds are interested in Corey Seager.  I am trying to figure out what exactly the Dodgers need.

No FA eligible until 2022...but Boras as an agent. 

If I were you guys, I'd have chased Lindor all the way. Seager is a good offensive SS, but Lindor is the whole package.

Geez, what happened to the good old days when SSs like Maxvill and Belanger were around, hitting .220?

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Was that his old man, or Altobelli, or Weaver that did that?

Earl would have wanted as many "3 run homers" in the lineup he could get...

I don't recall who did it...but IMO it changed the position as far as offensive expectancy goes.  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought Ripken came up as a SS and did not move to 3B until the end of his career.

He split time between 3rd and SS his first 2 seasons...

12 games at SS, 6 at 3rd 1 DH

94 games at SS, 71 games at 3rd

Didn't play 3rd after that until 1996

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks, I remember he was at SS in the WS against Philly and he caught a line drive to end the series.

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I will add to that...he was groomed in the minors to be a 3rd basemen...although he did play short and second.

The O's traded DeCinces(sp?) after the '81 season.  Cal was the heir apparent...but got shuffled to SS.  I seem to recall that Rich Dauer moved from 2nd to 3rd...but can't remember who took over for him at 2nd.  

Then again, that was a long time ago.

Just now, rico said:

I will add to that...he was groomed in the minors to be a 3rd basemen...although he did play short and second.

The O's traded DeCinces(sp?) after the '81 season.  Cal was the heir apparent...but got shuffled to SS.  I seem to recall that Rich Dauer moved from 2nd to 3rd...but can't remember who took over for him at 2nd.  

Then again, that was a long time ago.

Clearing the deck for Billy?😁

I know he was a few years after that...

What is it with guys named "Billy" and their baseball cards too?

The 2 most infamous...

Billy Ripken

And of course

Screenshot_20200110-133344.png

Archived