Set Your 5 Game Stretch Lineup

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree, and I think it's just confidence and timing, fwiw. Kid can score. He's a young soph. Really don't get why some just give up on young players or say there's nothing there to believe in them. He's developing, but he absolutely has the talent.

It may have already been said somewhere , but CuJo is playing in his 3rd system in 3 years counting his Senior year of high school. While this applies to the other IU Sophs as well, what doesn't always apply is one set timetable for every individual player. Some obviously fail to grasp this concept.

Among returnees from his own class Green and Davis came in with mostly B1G ready bodies. CuJo didn't.This is clearly a more physically demanding system Miller is putting in place. Is it really that big of a shock they are responding better to a different style? 

For Jones,  gaining more confidence could come down to something as simple as even more time in the weight room.

CuJo and Moore have the slightest builds of anyone on the roster, so there is a pattern whether some choose too see it or not.

There were even some people questioning whether or not Hartman belonged at IU at one point, too. That was without a coaching change in the midst of his first two seasons. The 2013-14 team Hartman came in with was finding it's own way after more experienced stars had departed, and many roles being carved out.

By next season if Jones hasn't made a jump I might feel different.

i don't see McRoberts helping us.  while i do see Hartman capable of that, i'm a little surprised people are talking about him in their starting 5.  seems that is quite a ways off seeing he hasn't played in a game in over a year, we don't even know what game he'll be back (surely he won't just jump in and start and play 30 minutes in his first game), and that his legend kind of seems to keep growing.  he did some nice things a couple years ago, but people seem to keep building how good he is.  i hope he's back soon and i hope he's as good as everyone keeps saying.  i'm just a little hesitant.

6 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

It may have already been said somewhere , but CuJo is playing in his 3rd system in 3 years counting his Senior year of high school. While this applies to the other IU Sophs as well, what doesn't always apply is one set timetable for every individual player. Some obviously fail to grasp this concept.

Among returnees from his own class Green and Davis came in with mostly B1G ready bodies. CuJo didn't.This is clearly a more physically demanding system Miller is putting in place. Is it really that big of a shock they are responding better to a different style? 

For Jones,  gaining more confidence could come down to something as simple as even more time in the weight room.

CuJo and Moore have the slightest builds of anyone on the roster, so there is a pattern whether some choose too see it or not.

There were even some people questioning whether or not Hartman belonged at IU at one point, too. That was without a coaching change in the midst of his first two seasons. The 2013-14 team Hartman came in with was finding it's own way after more experienced stars had departed, and many roles being carved out.

By next season if Jones hasn't made a jump I might feel different.

Pretty hard to say that a sophomore can’t compete physically because he just needs to hit the weight room.  He had all summer to get in shape with Marshall and doesn’t look much different from his freshman year.  Who’s the last IU guard that made a huge jump physically between his sophomore and junior years?

Hartman “broke out” as a solid role player his sophomore year.  It’s still early, but so far CuJo hasn’t been able to take advantage of backcourt minutes that are up for grabs.  If Newkirk is hurt, he’ll have even more opportunity, so we’ll see.

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't see McRoberts helping us.  while i do see Hartman capable of that, i'm a little surprised people are talking about him in their starting 5.  seems that is quite a ways off seeing he hasn't played in a game in over a year, we don't even know what game he'll be back (surely he won't just jump in and start and play 30 minutes in his first game), and that his legend kind of seems to keep growing.  he did some nice things a couple years ago, but people seem to keep building how good he is.  i hope he's back soon and i hope he's as good as everyone keeps saying.  i'm just a little hesitant.

When he comes back. Collin will likely average about:

• 33 points
  • 18 boards
  • 11 assists
  • 6 steals
  • 5 blocks
  • .0035 turnovers
  • 42 minutes a game

Maybe it's just me, but stats like that will make a difference in team success.  :coffee:

18 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know why McRoberts isn't playing, had the same question. Can only assume he's not showing what he needs to show in practice. But he can certainly add to the team, imo.

I'm certain it's because Archie is planning for the future and getting the guys who will be playing next year and forward the real minutes. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

When he comes back. Collin will likely average about:

• 33 points
  • 18 boards
  • 11 assists
  • 6 steals
  • 5 blocks
  • .0035 turnovers
  • 42 minutes a game

Maybe it's just me, but stats like that will make a difference in team success.  :coffee:

He will also take tickets, run the popcorn machine at every consession stand and control the tv brodcast from the truck. 

Bruce Douglas linked to a stat site in another thread- http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Indiana

A few observations-

IU not projected to do too well :(

Davis and Durham are the clear cut leaders in Offensive Efficiency but neither in the top 6 for usage. Newkirk leads there.

Davis shooting 77%. reminiscent of Bryant 2 years ago. We'll see how long he can maintain that.

For 2 pt %, Durham is next at 69% followed by smith and Johnson both at 60%.

Newkirk looks to be our best free throw shooter followed by Morgan.

Newkirk is also our best assist guy but second worst for turnovers (Green).

Our best 3 pt shooters are Johnson (40%) and Green (35%). 

McSwain and Smith the best rebounders. Next tier is Johnson and Morgan. Davis needs to do better here.

I'd like to see Durham, Johnson, Hartman (when healthy), Smith and Davis to see how that unit does together. 

15 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Pretty hard to say that a sophomore can’t compete physically because he just needs to hit the weight room.  He had all summer to get in shape with Marshall and doesn’t look much different from his freshman year.  Who’s the last IU guard that made a huge jump physically between his sophomore and junior years?

Hartman “broke out” as a solid role player his sophomore year.  It’s still early, but so far CuJo hasn’t been able to take advantage of backcourt minutes that are up for grabs.  If Newkirk is hurt, he’ll have even more opportunity, so we’ll see.

You're the only one of the two of us who used the words-   can't compete. I didn't go there , and I think he belongs at IU . 

I merely suggested it might come down to something physical in addition to his confidence. He has shown flashes, but they've been the outlier thus far. I get it. 

The game has to have time to slow down for him again, and it is yet to happen under Miller thus far. If/when that happens he has shown he has the physical tools to overcome being smaller than many of his match ups. 

That being said, having played the game and been outweighed by nearly everyone , it compounds the confidence problem when a player is typically at a strength disadvantage against whoever they face. When your mind isn't right it is easier to take a smaller player out of the game physically. That isn't an opinion. I've been on both ends of it playing, and saw both ends of it coaching .It's a truth that applies to all levels of the game. While it isn't an excuse it is a factor not to be dismissed away because of how a player spent their 2nd summer at the college level. 

As for Hartman he was largely written off, and I just gave his improvement and the similar roster circumstances as an example of why I think that's foolish .It took time for that perception of a "breakout" to form in fans' minds, though. As it pertain to Jones, it doesn't matter when Hartman felt the game slow down for him. Every player is different. That was also part of my point.

We will see if he earns Miller's confidence, or his minutes increase out of necessity. If he started to pick it up rapidly at some juncture,  it wouldn't shock me at all. I would be more surprised if he never does make any kind of jump.

Every IU player whos health allowed them had an opportunity..Regardless of who, what year, or whether anyone did or not it comes down to the individual. So it is sort of irrelevant, but I didn't want to come off as ignoring what you asked.

Archived