2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Gronk headed to Tampa? Sounds like done deal.

Well, with Brady in Tampa, I was already rooting for 0-16 there.  Since you can't do much worse than that, if Gronk goes there as well, I guess I'll have to root that all 16 losses are shutouts.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hopefully not with the contract terms he had with Chicago 

That's the funny part. As a Bears fan I say this. Burton is being paid the absolute minimum by the Colts. Bears have to pay him $4M in guarantees already. Essentially the Bears are paying the Colts to find out if he can recapture the same person he was a few years ago. I swear....Ryan Pace. Every day I find a reason to despise this idiot even more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the funny part. As a Bears fan I say this. Burton is being paid the absolute minimum by the Colts. Bears have to pay him $4M in guarantees already. Essentially the Bears are paying the Colts to find out if he can recapture the same person he was a few years ago. I swear....Ryan Pace. Every day I find a reason to despise this idiot even more.

Yes, the Colts has their own version in Grigson who tried to run the franchise into the ground. 

Hopefully, the Bears can find their Chris Ballard

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes, the Colts has their own version in Grigson who tried to run the franchise into the ground. 

Hopefully, the Bears can find their Chris Ballard

Ballard was in the room when we had our most successful drafts. Ticks me off that he isn't Bears GM. Ballard is truly one of the really good ones. Just wish he was in charge for Bears. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts sign Trey Burton. If he gets his head on right he could be very good. Maybe reuniting with Frank Reich is what he needs.

Trey is a good signing both value wise and scheme wise.  Plugging him into a Eric Ebron role will do him wonders.  FOund a stat, the top Tight End run blockers last year were..... 1.) Burton and 3.) Jack Doyle.  So we now have two of the top three TE run blockers according to PFF.  Burton gives Rivers a vertical threat(Hunter Henry in LA) and a tall guy to lob some short touchdown passes to.  I do not see us taking a TE in the draft unless a top TE falls. 

I am excited for tonight.  I doubt the Colts move up, however, I am excited to see who doesn't go in the first round since we have the 2nd pick on day two.  My guess for our pick will be a big body WR or CB/IDL with our first two picks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Trey is a good signing both value wise and scheme wise.  Plugging him into a Eric Ebron role will do him wonders.  FOund a stat, the top Tight End run blockers last year were..... 1.) Burton and 3.) Jack Doyle.  So we now have two of the top three TE run blockers according to PFF.  Burton gives Rivers a vertical threat(Hunter Henry in LA) and a tall guy to lob some short touchdown passes to.  I do not see us taking a TE in the draft unless a top TE falls. 

I am excited for tonight.  I doubt the Colts move up, however, I am excited to see who doesn't go in the first round since we have the 2nd pick on day two.  My guess for our pick will be a big body WR or CB/IDL with our first two picks. 

Colts had a really good off season and it potentially could be a great one. In terms of the draft I expect them to use their first pick to get a guy like Tee Higgins.....unless Jordan Love is still around.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts had a really good off season and it potentially could be a great one. In terms of the draft I expect them to use their first pick to get a guy like Tee Higgins.....unless Jordan Love is still around.

I think dw had it right...WR with the 1st pick and a CB with the 2nd.  Although getting a QB could be in the fold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think dw had it right...WR with the 1st pick and a CB with the 2nd.  Although getting a QB could be in the fold.

I think if Love IS there at 34 Colts will take him.  If Love is not easily a WR and CB with their two 2nd rd picks.  Hilton is aging, Campbell needs to stay healthy and if so can turn heads as he gets older, Pascal is solid but not a every down starter, Fountain was turning heads in training camp and preseason last year before a season ending injury and Marcus Johnson(some may say who?, is a spot fill to give breaks to others).  You add someone like Pittman Jr, Tee Higgins or Denzel Mims, watch out.  Comparisons and ceilings similar to Brandon Marshall and Kenny Golladay for those mentioned.  I'd gladly take that for the future! 

Now onto CBs.  Rhodes(1 yr prove it deal, could turn into more or not a wild card), Moore(slot CB for foreseeable future and one of the top slot corners IMO), Ya-Sin(IMO will improve and be similar to a Rhodes type player by the end of 2020), Tell(2nd yr back, wild card) and Quincy Wilson(oozing talent but has not shown in games or practice).  Should Rhodes experiment fail, you are left with an opening starting cornerback spot opposite of Ya-Sin.  My vote would be Bryce Hall from UVA or if somehow one of Kristian Fulton from LSU or Trevon Diggs Alabama falls.  If Fulton or Diggs is at 34, you take one of them and then WR with the 44th pick(depth is really well so drop off won't be too bad waiting 10 more picks for a WR like Claypool from ND, Reagor from TCU or Brandon Aiyuck from Arizona St.   

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 2

My Bears usually make draft choices that have me extremely puzzled. Glad to see the Packers take that title from them this year. What was that last night? Rodgers is under contract until 2024. You need WR's and other positions....you draft Jordan Love (who I like) to sit him for 3-4 years?? Yes...I know Rodgers was drafted and he sat. World doesn't work that way anymore. Not in the first round.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My Bears usually make draft choices that have me extremely puzzled. Glad to see the Packers take that title from them this year. What was that last night? Rodgers is under contract until 2024. You need WR's and other positions....you draft Jordan Love (who I like) to sit him for 3-4 years?? Yes...I know Rodgers was drafted and he sat. World doesn't work that way anymore. Not in the first round.

Yeah, I was puzzled by that as well...

But knowing how things work for we Bears' fans, I called Canton and told them to start working on a bust of Jordan Love...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I was puzzled by that as well...

But knowing how things work for we Bears' fans, I called Canton and told them to start working on a bust of Jordan Love...

Unless Rodgers has made it be known he wants to go elsewhere or the Packers front office has a trade in mind.....I'm just not getting this one. Watch Patriots swing a deal for Rodgers. Haha

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Unless Rodgers has made it be known he wants to go elsewhere or the Packers front office has a trade in mind.....I'm just not getting this one. Watch Patriots swing a deal for Rodgers. Haha

Maybe Rodgers is planning on retiring soon?

• Like 1

I do find it funny that the Packers have had first ballot hall of fame level QB play for 30 years and only one 2 championships because they do a bad job of putting weapons around them and that seems to continue. Granted the WR position has depth in this draft.

Edited by DC2345

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s Favre and Rogers repeating itself. Rogers will QB for a couple more years and then be forced to retire or go someplace else.

Yep.  Rodgers effectively sat his first three years.  Had some garbage time, but was not the starter until his 4th year.  If the same timeline occurs in this case, Rodgers will be in his 39-40 year old season in Love's 4th year.  I see the logic.