2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You are worth what the markets says you are worth. I believe you said you are a teacher. What would you do if another teacher was brought in at your school and found out they were getting paid $25,000 more than you are.  You have been a teacher longer and have accomplished more, would you just say nothing or would you ask for more money than the new teacher.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in living off the average teacher's salary and living off $130 million.  

So, yeah, if I'm happy where I'm at and can get paid $130 million, I would care less if Kyler Murray gets more than that.

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Heard Mike Florio talking about how the Bengals should handle Burrow's next contract.  He said he thought Mike Brown should just break the unwritten rule and give Burrow a flat percentage of the team's salary cap.  Like give him 20%, I believe is what Florio said.  I don't have a clue, but thought it sounded interesting.

Burrow is someone that just might take a little bit of a hometown discount.  I think he truly views the Bengals as 'his' franchise, seems happy with the coaching staff, likely wants to keep the core group of weapons at his disposal,  and just might be willing to take less to stay in Cincy if ownership promises to work at keeping a competitive team around him.

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Burrow is someone that just might take a little bit of a hometown discount.  I think he truly views the Bengals as 'his' franchise, seems happy with the coaching staff, likely wants to keep the core group of weapons at his disposal,  and just might be willing to take less to stay in Cincy if ownership promises to work at keeping a competitive team around him.

That's certainly my hope.  He is a very intelligent young man who interned one summer at Goldman Sachs.  He will, I think, play the long game with the Brown family.  He'll get a nice contract, but he understands that "his team" needs to be more than just him.  He wants to win championships.  To win, he knows there needs to be money for everyone... both offense and defense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe…but we all could say that about Peyton Manning and he never took a discount. Brady is the only qb I’ve ever seen do it…and he had a super model wife making twice what he did. It’s impossible to know but I very much doubt Burrow will take a discount. Seems pretty wishful thinking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe…but we all could say that about Peyton Manning and he never took a discount. Brady is the only qb I’ve ever seen do it…and he had a super model wife making twice what he did. It’s impossible to know but I very much doubt Burrow will take a discount. Seems pretty wishful thinking.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what you can buy for $200 million that you can't buy for $130 million.  

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No way he takes a penny less than what Mahomes got- $50 million per. And probably will ask for more, since it’s his first big contract. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Still waiting for someone to tell me what you can buy for $200 million that you can't buy for $130 million.  

Those fancy suits he wears lol. That isn’t the point and you know it. You get what you can get…maybe you want to own a team some day like Lebron and Jordan will. Maybe you don’t want your grandkids to ever worry about money. Maybe you want to establish charities in your grandmothers name and do good with it. Point is I haven’t seen too many give a hometown discount. 

The other point is we are only talking guaranteed money. I’m sure the actual numbers will be more just these teams are trying to avoid the guaranteed contracts for injury reasons.

4 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

No way he takes a penny less than what Mahomes got- $50 million per. And probably will ask for more, since it’s his first big contract. 

Mike Brown - "Joe, we can give you $50 Million per, but if we do, we can't pay Jamarr.  Or, we can pay you $40 million per and keep him."

What do you think Joe does?

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mike Brown - "Joe, we can give you $50 Million per, but if we do, we can't pay Jamarr.  Or, we can pay you $40 million per and keep him."

What do you think Joe does?

He says find a way to keep him. You can do both and you know it. Those types of ultimatums show me you are bad at your job. Now maybe you can’t sign everyone to what they are worth but it is your job to build a roster not mine. If someone goes then draft a replacement. That’s a weak excuse not to pay me what Mahomes gets. He is also in the AFC championship game….he isn’t hurting for talent. Maybe Chase does go someday….but I play…Taylor coaches, and GM finds and pays players.

The argument of why take the money. What can’t you buy with more….why does Elon Musk keep working…why do the other richest people. They want more…point is there is always something more you can do with it. Maybe Burrow wants to buy Google someday, Instagram…or build his own clothing empire …🤷‍♂️

Edited by dgambill

Just now, 5fouls said:

I suspect Joe Burrow is more interested in Lombardi trophies than he is buying something after he retires.  

Was Peyton Manning not? Yet he was always the top paid qb when his contract came due. Also taking a discount doesn’t mean he will win more or even is even more likely to. Besides most players owe to their fellow players to push for higher pay for their next counterpart. You set the market because if you don’t it screws it up for everyone else.

• Like 2

I respect your viewpoint @5fouls and maybe he will take less….but why didn’t Mahomes take less? I just don’t think many will do that. It’s also easy to say we would until we are in their shoes…if you could get 100 million more…you just going to leave that on the table? I guess good for you. Imo I owe it to my family before my team. Maybe I don’t rake them over the coals but I take my fair share.

Edited by dgambill

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That isn't the point because it is about what teams are willing to pay you.  Also the players association would probably step in and try to persuade him not to sign. If it is like baseball because it was the players association stepped in and didn't let AROD take a pay cut to help with a trade to the Red Sox 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to play both sides of the fence on this one. I think @btownqb is right that Lamar isnt worth the $250M or whatever he's looking for. 

I wouldn't want my team to give him that given his injury history and style of play. 

With that said, I think @KoB2011 and others are also right. Lamar was smart to turn the Ravens offer down, but like it or not, he's going to get way more then the Ravens offer. Someone, and maybe still the Ravens, are going to pony up for him. It's just the way the market works. 

Agreed. I think you sum up the arguement well…and I agree. Jackson play style and injury risk isn’t worth a fully guaranteed contract of that nature…but also he sees the contracts around him and feels he is more accomplished then those getting more. It’s a pickle because of what some poor GMs have done. Bad GMs trying to save their job make desperate moves…those qb contracts are evidence of that. Doesn’t mean Baltimore has to make the same mistake but it also shows there are others that would likely offer Jackson similar.

I think Jackson has proven he will sit out (or hold their season hostage by playing the minimum games necessary to qualify for a full season) to get what he wants. Baltimore could pay him and mortgage their future or could try to do a trade. Only they know what they have and how good they believe they can be. Baltimore has always held firm on these type of contracts so I don’t think they will give in. They will try to satisfy him another way(like OC hire and change offense). In the end I’d move him for multiple picks…start Hundley and take another young qb.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I respect your viewpoint @5fouls and maybe he will take less….but why didn’t Mahomes take less? I just don’t think many will do that. It’s also easy to say we would until we are in their shoes…if you could get 100 million more…you just going to leave that on the table? I guess good for you. Imo I owe it to my family before my team. Maybe I don’t rake them over the coals but I take my fair share.

KC is not Mahomes' home state.  And, KC has a bigger budget than Cincy.  Burrow is going to understand that there are organizations out there that can afford to pay a little more than Cincy.  But, he's already well on his way to being the greatest Bengal ever.  His long-term legacy reaches its max as a Bengal, not someone that plays in Cincy for 7 years and moves on to a bigger market.   

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

KC is not Mahomes' home state.  And, KC has a bigger budget than Cincy.  Burrow is going to understand that there are organizations out there that can afford to pay a little more than Cincy.  But, he's already well on his way to being the greatest Bengal ever.  His long-term legacy reaches its max as a Bengal, not someone that plays in Cincy for 7 years and moves on to a bigger market.   

How can KC pay more. Salary cap is the same for both teams. This isn’t Yankees vs Rays.

Id say he already is pretty much that 5fouls lol. Also Cincy can’t get rid of him as the fans would mutiny so they have to pay him what he wants. They can replace Chase someday down the line…they can’t him.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

What can $200 million buy tat $130 million can’t…

People in that stratosphere don’t think like that.

Many have philanthropic goals.

Most, especially athletes, realize that they have a narrow window to cash in. Many have a network of family/friends/posse that they feel obligated to take care of.

Almost all are focused on multigenerational wealth. If you or I could ensure that our grandchildren’s grandchildren are set for life, wouldn’t you want to negotiate for every dollar you could?

I get the Burrow argument of taking the local discount. But I also don’t begrudge Lamar or any athlete maximizing their value before their skills deteriorate 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Burrow is leaving Cincinnati.

I’m saying that they he will ask for top dollar ($50 million a year or more) and the Bengals will gladly pay it. 

Couple of interesting little stats this morning floating around.

1) Burrows now has more road playoff victories (3) than Peyton Manning and Joe Montana each had in their careers. They had 2 each.

2) In 2019 Mahomes suffered a high ankle sprain in week 1. In week 2 he threw for 443 yards and 4 TD's vs Raiders. Granted the Bengals D is better but just food for thought this week. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Couple of interesting little stats this morning floating around.

1) Burrows now has more road playoff victories (3) than Peyton Manning and Joe Montana each had in their careers. They had 2 each.

2) In 2019 Mahomes suffered a high ankle sprain in week 1. In week 2 he threw for 443 yards and 4 TD's vs Raiders. Granted the Bengals D is better but just food for thought this week. 

Burrows also has more road playoff wins then Patrick Mahomes, granted Mahomes has never played in a road playoff game. 

• Like 2