2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Colts fans have gotten absolutely ridiculous on Twitter about Jeff Saturday

Yes ridiculous but I hope Irsay that he will be losing a lot of fans if they hire Saturday. We are already the laughing stock of the NFL by making him the interim coach but if he is hired full time it will only get worse

What legitimate coaches would want to come here and work for Saturday.

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would understand this, except Purdy is far more inexperienced and unproven then Hurts, and Purdy has to deal with the Eagles defensive line who led the league in sacks by +15 more then the team with the second most. 

To be fair the Eagles played ahead most of the time and teams were forced into obvious passing game to catch up. So a lot more sack opportunities…but that goes back to their offense…if they get them a 10-14 pt lead…I think SF is cooked for the same reason you mentioned. Purdy is not going to carry that team Ala Burrow or Mahomes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Can you elaborate? 

Constantly tweeting at Irsay and bashing Saturday any way that they can. The reality is fans have no clue what kind of plan any of these guys interviewing for the job have. They also don’t know what kind of staff these guys plan on hiring yet they want to assume that every up and coming coordinator is going to be great. I’m not saying Saturday should get the job. I’m just saying all these loud mouths on Twitter probably don’t know much of what’s going on even though they think they do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Oh and what the Colts do at QB matters more than who they hire at HC.

Disagree…their plan for qb should be directly tied to their head coach and what type of scheme he wants to run. To me those two need to be linked. A bad fit and it probably doesn’t matter who you get at either spot..it would likely fail. There needs to be a well thought out plan and I hope Ballard has a good one. This is it…this is his chance to get the coach he wants and qb….he is going to be judged by this offseason…sink or swim for him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That is true but a good QB can make a bad coach look good. Just ask Andrew Luck. Ideally you have a good QB and coach but if you have just 1 I’m taking the QB

Well good coaches are much easier to find…but Luck wasn’t a good qb he was a transcendent qb prospect. Literally 1-1,000,000. I also don’t think anyone mistaken our success during Lucks year for coaching…everyone knew he was carrying that team.
Wrong match and I don’t think even a good qb can overcome bad coaching. I think it is no coincidence that great coaches seem to “luck into” multiple good qbs. Coaches like Andy Reid and Shanahan and Payton etc get the most out of their players and put them in position to be successful. Heck look at guys like Purdy last in the draft and how well he has turned out…look at Deibold and how he turned around Daniel Jones…look at Tua under Mcdaniels as opposed to last year and Russel Wilson with a mess of a coach and how inept they have been. I don’t think one is more important than the other but guys like Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Purdy, even Hurts have all benefited from some very good coaching. Besides team success is more than just a great qb…you need a well run team. 

Edited by dgambill

40 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Constantly tweeting at Irsay and bashing Saturday any way that they can. The reality is fans have no clue what kind of plan any of these guys interviewing for the job have. They also don’t know what kind of staff these guys plan on hiring yet they want to assume that every up and coming coordinator is going to be great. I’m not saying Saturday should get the job. I’m just saying all these loud mouths on Twitter probably don’t know much of what’s going on even though they think they do. 

In a general sense, sure, but realistically we saw enough of Saturday to know he’s not the answer.

I’m not sure Irsay and Ballard deserve the benefit of the doubt here, but I don’t really want to rehash that either. Saturday would far and away be the riskiest hire they could make. If they are wrong on him it’s going to do major damage to the strength of the fan base IMO. 

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would he stay if the owner keeps going over his head and not allowing him to do his job

For a few reasons. He has kids in school and his family likes it here. He also has one of only 32 NFL GM jobs and he’s not guaranteed to get another one. Oh and he’s getting paid a large amount of $$$. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So you're saying if the Bears go and screw around with their chance to get a Von Miller level talent, we should just take that talent instead of a QB?

I think the Colts are in a great spot, there are two potential HOF defenders and two really good QBs in the top 4, so we can just take whichever falls to us and move on. We don't need to trade anything to move up for one particular guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1