2023 NFL Discussion

rico

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Frank Reich hired as new HC of Carolina Panthers.

He wasn't unemployed long

I don't know how everything went down here but Reich played the game, won a Super Bowl as a Coach, and if it wasn't for chasing 1 position that either Ballard or Irsay kept whiffing on I think it's easily understandable why he's getting another shot so quickly. 

Wish him the best for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Why do organizations recycle someone that failed elsewhere?

I think Frank's failures were as much to do with the misjudgment of Wentz as anything. If he has learned from that, he can probably succeed. 

I didn't love everything about Frank, but I thought he needed to go a lot less than Ballard. And for whatever it's worth, he was a significantly better coach than one of the finalists the Colts are looking at now who coached half of the season. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Frank's failures were as much to do with the misjudgment of Wentz as anything. If he has learned from that, he can probably succeed. 

I didn't love everything about Frank, but I thought he needed to go a lot less than Ballard. And for whatever it's worth, he was a significantly better coach than one of the finalists the Colts are looking at now who coached half of the season. 

But, he's walking into the same type of situation in Carolina.  A team with a few pieces, but a big hole at QB.

Quite honestly, the interim guy that finished the year in Carolina was more deserving of the job than Reich.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

5 QB's in 5 years and he still was above .500 record wise. Highly regarded around the league. I can see Carolina now entering the trade up sweepstakes for a QB. 

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

Pederson probably should have never been let go by Philly.

Plenty of coaches get better at the 2nd gig....shoot Dungy, Belichick, Pete Carroll just to name a few. I'm not saying he's one of them but time will tell. I always liked Reich. His organization failed him more than he did...just my two cents.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, he's walking into the same type of situation in Carolina.  A team with a few pieces, but a big hole at QB.

Quite honestly, the interim guy that finished the year in Carolina was more deserving of the job than Reich.

It seems pretty different than what he walked into in Indy 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why do organizations recycle someone that failed elsewhere?

Bruce Arians won a SB after flaming out in Arizona.

Robert Sahle seems to have the Jets moving in the right direction after getting fired from Miami.

Brain fart, but the coach of the Commodores had them competing after being sacked by Carolina.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Plenty of coaches get better at the 2nd gig....shoot Dungy, Belichick, Pete Carroll just to name a few. I'm not saying he's one of them but time will tell. I always liked Reich. His organization failed him more than he did...just my two cents.

You forgot one of my favorites...Don Coryell.

• Like 1

Sometimes getting fired doesn’t mean you failed. Don’t get me wrong it could…but it could also be that you simply didn’t live up to owner expectations or you and the GM aren’t seeing eye to eye or you aren’t their guy. Jim Caldwell didn’t fail when he got fired…he had Curtis Painter and that mess for a year when Peyton got hurt. They were just going in another direction. A lot can go into it…but failing is pretty broad term.

• Like 4