2023 NFL Discussion

rico

no issue with this... at much reduced rate. I still really like Kwity Paye and believe his injuries severely hampered his ability to be explosive. Kwity, Yannick, and the 2 DTs is a great start to a DL and is a Top 10 unit. 

Dayo came on big time late in the year and can play inside or out. Certainly wouldn't mind drafting another one if there is someone we've evaluated and like in the 2nd rd and beyond. 

• Like 2

Hopefully we can get healthy for the big game. Injuries were absolutely brutal last night.

Major props to Spags and the defense.. Consistently playing their best football when it matters since his hiring.

Mahomes is just unreal. I was ecstatic when we drafted him, but never could have imagined what he's doing.

Mahomes/Burrow/Allen in the AFC is going to be fun to watch for a long time.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

NFL Salary Cap up to $224M this year. That's up from $188M in 2019. I won't call that an inflation adjustment just call it a QB is going to eat our entire cap adjustment NFL so give us more $ to play with....$36M in 4 years. That's a pretty big move.

Just a little over 4% per year. Yes, higher than inflation in most years. Wonder how much revenues have increased over the same period?

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just a little over 4% per year. Yes, higher than inflation in most years. Wonder how much revenues have increased over the same period?

As best as I can tell it went from $15B in 2019 to a little over $18B this past season. So $3B more in revenues and $36M per team (32 teams) if my numbers are right that $1.15B or so is being spent more on players. Not bad. Not equal but not bad. I'm all for the guys getting their piece of the pie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Heard this stat yesterday. 49ers/Eagles was first I believe NFC Championship since like 1980 that didn't have a passing TD in it. 

Philly over Dallas.  Philly was the "home" team and chose to wear their road whites forcing the Cowboys to wear their jinxed home blues.  Good year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Philly over Dallas.  Philly was the "home" team and chose to wear their road whites forcing the Cowboys to wear their jinxed home blues.  Good year.

Was that the Montgomery/Carmichael days? Even though I was a Bears fan one of the first non Bears Christmas items I got was a Eagles helmet because I love Carmichael for some reason.

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No problem with what he did at all. That's the reaction I would have expected from Colts when Giants were making snow angels while their qb was in convulsion mode.

I noticed he didn’t say or do a thing when Suh got in his face. Nice job picking on a guy like 150 lbs less than you. Don’t get me wrong no problem pushing or pulling him aside and getting him his face but that was uncalled for.  Clearly a frustrated man.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Look.  I'm on record posting on this board many times that Mahomes is the best QB in the league.  He can do som impromptu things that Burrow or no one else can do.

That said, we can praise Mahomes without trying to tear down Burrow.  He's a star.  He had 'it'.  He will get his SB some day.  He and Mahomes are the only 2 QBs that have participated in the Conference Champioship in both of the last two seasons.

There are no assurances he will win a SB. Dan Marino is probably the best pure qb I’ve ever seen and he never got back and won his. And by “it” the issue was not that he isn’t great…or even the second best qb in the league…but everyone is confusing swag with being the man…the best…and he isn’t that. People on sports talk radio were crowning him over the Chiefs all week. I get it he beat them last year…but I could care less about two other regular season wins. Again…great qb…hope we can land one as good…but the next Joe Montana…which was what he was being likened too…or next Tom Brady…we shall see…he hasn’t won anything yet to get that level of praise was all.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Kellen Moore to the Chargers as OC 👀

Agreed…I mean seriously?? No body would judge them if they just hired Sean Payton even after making the playoffs…geez there is nothing wrong for wanting to make an upgrade…in fact their current coach could easily find another gig and his buyout would get reduced.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There are no assurances he will win a SB. Dan Marino is probably the best pure qb I’ve ever seen and he never got back and won his. And by “it” the issue was not that he isn’t great…or even the second best qb in the league…but everyone is confusing swag with being the man…the best…and he isn’t that. People on sports talk radio were crowning him over the Chiefs all week. I get it he beat them last year…but I could care less about two other regular season wins. Again…great qb…hope we can land one as good…but the next Joe Montana…which was what he was being likened too…or next Tom Brady…we shall see…he hasn’t won anything yet to get that level of praise was all.

If you don’t think he is “the man”, well I just don’t know what to say.  He has elevated what was a terrible franchise and gone to 2 AFC title games in 3 years in the league and gone to one Super Bowl.  That’s pretty incredible in my opinion.  It’s not his fault that tv and radio people hype him up.  Blame them.

14 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

If you don’t think he is “the man”, well I just don’t know what to say.  He has elevated what was a terrible franchise and gone to 2 AFC title games in 3 years in the league and gone to one Super Bowl.  That’s pretty incredible in my opinion.  It’s not his fault that tv and radio people hype him up.  Blame them.

I think what I’ve said is what I mean. He is the second best qb in the league right now…love to have him…but Brady/Montana level of ability or honor is premature….and that was what people have been saying. It was all week how he has Chiefs number and he has surpassed Mahomes. It’s easy to crown the next coming of Montana or Brady…but it’s going to take a long time to prove that out so I was saying slow your roles to those annoiting him…he hasn’t won anything yet. I believe he is a much better qb than Russell Wilson but we were hearing same stuff when he was going to back to back Super Bowls…it was premature and we saw him cost his team at the goal line with a horrible pick and never bring them back. We saw Burrow put up a pretty pedestrian performance yesterday.  He had all his stars and he was healthy. The other guy was throwing on one leg to one stud who was being double all game and bunch of cast off dudes…and he finished the job…just strange he was being doubted when he has the SB to his name…and two MVPs.

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think what I’ve said is what I mean. He is the second best qb in the league right now…love to have him…but Brady/Montana level of ability or honor is premature….and that was what people have been saying. It was all week how he has Chiefs number and he has surpassed Mahomes. It’s easy to crown the next coming of Montana or Brady…but it’s going to take a long time to prove that out so I was saying slow your roles to those annoiting him…he hasn’t won anything yet. I believe he is a much better qb than Russell Wilson but we were hearing same stuff when he was going to back to back Super Bowls…it was premature and we saw him cost his team at the goal line with a horrible pick and never bring them back. We saw Burrow put up a pretty pedestrian performance yesterday.  He had all his stars and he was healthy. The other guy was throwing to one stud who was being double all game and bunch of cast off dudes…and he finished the job…just strange he was being doubted when he has the SB to his name…and two MVPs.

I think you’re placing the “blame” in the wrong place then.  The fault lies w the media people doing what amounts to a hype fest prior to the AFC championship.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

He tore his ACL his rookie year so really just two full years. Burrow is absolutely a stud, the only guy who couldn’t see it is Dan Dakich’s favorite football coach. 

• Like 1

And my last post brings up an interesting thought: for as great of a college coach as Urban Meyer was, he may have the two biggest misses in the history of college sports with Joe Burrow and Cam Newton.

Those two probably hold the two greatest single seasons ever and both lead teams to massive improvements and national titles. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I think you’re placing the “blame” in the wrong place then.  The fault lies w the media people doing what amounts to a hype fest prior to the AFC championship.

I’ve never blamed Burrow for anything. I’ve said plainly from the beginning what I was talking about…never said Burrow said anything or should be blamed for anything. But those trying to make him out to be then next Goat etc well maybe they are getting ahead of themselves. Prisoners of the moment. Not sure what I need to defend in those statements. Somehow people got all worked up like I was taking a shot at him. I just pointed out the facts…he hasn’t done anything to back up the claims. It was as if he has relatives in here people got so sensitive. Fact still remains he hasn’t gotten the job done yet. Same criticism of Peyton and others will start landing at his feet soon. He will always have a window to win because he is that good…but he might not have a team as good and loaded as this one for very long…contracts for him and Chase and Higgins and Mixon for starters will all start coming due…not to mention the defensive studs they have. It ain’t easy to win it all…which is why we go back to the guys like Montana and Brady etc that he was getting compared to…they didn’t miss…they maximized every opportunity…same can be said for Mahomes…he already has lost his best WR due to salary cap restrictions…and Brady took one of those hard to earn rings. They don’t come easy.