2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I think he's better than any quarterback on the roster or any of the proposed draft options. 

I'll repeat what I said before. If the Colts can't get Stroud, then they should get a guy like this and either bulk up the roster's other weak positions through the draft, or draft a quarterback later than the first round and let him sit and learn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think he's better than any quarterback on the roster or any of the proposed draft options. 

I'll repeat what I said before. If the Colts can't get Stroud, then they should get a guy like this and either bulk up the roster's other weak positions through the draft, or draft a quarterback later than the first round and let him sit and learn.

I doubt real seriously the colts go with Lamar.  The evidence is that no other teams have pursued this route either.  2 first round picks doesn't sound like that much when a 36 year old Stafford hauled a 1st, 2nd, and 4th.  It's the contract for an often injured guy that doesn't perform in the playoffs that is the hang up.  There would be no affording to bulk up the rest of the roster.. 

Edited by NotIThatLives

Some very smart team is going to draft Dorian Thompson Robinson (DTR) from UCLA. Size and speed is all there. Some team that isn't 100% enamored with their starter or maybe a team that wants to draft and stash him for a year or two is going to be rewarded. Perfect later round guy.

Plus I also subscribe to the theory that drafting a QB late every other draft isn't the worst contingency plan.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure it's all smoke but Carolina has been putting out the signals they like Richardson. Please let that be true as a Bears fan who owns Carolina's 1st round draft pick next year. That could be a top 5 pick if they go that route.

They sent the whole organization to see Stroud at his pro day today 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They sent the whole organization to see Stroud at his pro day today 

Lots of smoke signals this time of year. If I were in charge of drafting QB1 I'd take Stroud first over Bryant and others....

I hope things work out for the Colts though. Would love to see them get that position right for the long haul again. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lots of smoke signals this time of year. If I were in charge of drafting QB1 I'd take Stroud first over Bryant and others....

I hope things work out for the Colts though. Would love to see them get that position right for the long haul again. 

Picking #1 you shouldn't have to do any smoke signals 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Picking #1 you shouldn't have to do any smoke signals 

Are you kidding? Carolina controls the draft now. I'd send as many smoke signals up as possible. Just like with what they gave up to the Bears. They could equally get a haul. Of course they should send up smoke signals. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's kind of funny the power of video. In this game this was the one hit he allowed. With that said his arm length is a very real concern for Tackle unless NFL teams are thinking Guard. If I were a team that needed tackle help I'm going Paris Johnson. 

I swear man. Some guys just don't understand the importance of legal, tax, financial, etc....advisory team. Anyway. NFLPA just put out a memo saying a guy named Ken Francis (who is not an agent) has been calling or trying to call multiple NFL teams to get interest for Mr. Lamar Jackson.

Lamar...who represents himself....obviously is behind this. Lesson for the masses. Hire pros. This is what agents/attorneys do for you. Don't hire a guy from parts unknown to help you get a  DW contract.

Bad move Lamar. Bad move.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Have to love Lamar announcing his request for a trade at the exact moment Harbaugh was taking stage for press conference at owners meetings.

Man there has to be some deep hate there. 

I saw a tweet saying the Colts plane had been in Baltimore this weekend. I would assume the Colts need to meet with Lamar and he is not in Baltimore.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I saw a tweet saying the Colts plane had been in Baltimore this weekend. I would assume the Colts need to meet with Lamar and he is not in Baltimore.

Could be meeting in person to hammer out trade details? Seems odd to have the plane there all weekend.

Pretty funny athletes tweeting things like "Looks like the Falcons want to just roll with D Ridder instead of trading for Lamar, when teams say their primary focus is winning, they are lying".... or something of that nature. 

But yet, they don't bring up Lamar's own stupidness is what caused all of this in the first place... and trading for a Lamar changes the entire landscape of your franchise, from personnel to coaches, etc. Everything has to change... this isn't like trading for Herbert, Burrow, etc. It's just not. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

I would be shocked if Ballard pulled a deal off for Jackson. Will Levis come on down, more Ballards speed.

And I don't know what the best strategy is anymore. Colts are far enough away from Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, shoot even the Jaguars, Dolphins, Chargersetc....so maybe going the drafting route and ready to pounce in a few years is the train of thought? It's not like the Colts roster is just a QB away. 

Levis has a cannon for sure but if I walk away from the draft as a Colts fan with just Levis I'm not expecting much for a few years and that's where I think Irsay enters the picture. That dude wants to win and compete this year. No way is he wanting another rebuild. Now it just comes down to comp for Lamar. 2 #1's in 24 and 25 I would be fine with. Of course the Ravens want this years 4th pick and that's where the negotiation comes in. 

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Ballard is scared to make any big moves

Wait...what?

How do you define "big moves?"

Bringing in Gilmore last year wasn't a big move?

Deforest Buckner?

Even the two quarterbacks, Rivers and Ryan, at the time, they were considered big deals.

You continue to blast Ballard because he hasn't hit on a quarterback. He has not shied away from making big moves though.

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

And I don't know what the best strategy is anymore. Colts are far enough away from Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, shoot even the Jaguars, Dolphins, Chargersetc....so maybe going the drafting route and ready to pounce in a few years is the train of thought? It's not like the Colts roster is just a QB away. 

Levis has a cannon for sure but if I walk away from the draft as a Colts fan with just Levis I'm not expecting much for a few years and that's where I think Irsay enters the picture. That dude wants to win and compete this year. No way is he wanting another rebuild. Now it just comes down to comp for Lamar. 2 #1's in 24 and 25 I would be fine with. Of course the Ravens want this years 4th pick and that's where the negotiation comes in. 

I continue to say, if they can't get Stroud, they should pass on the rest of this year's quarterback crop. Get a veteran to plug the gap and then go all in next year for Caleb Williams.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I continue to say, if they can't get Stroud, they should pass on the rest of this year's quarterback crop. Get a veteran to plug the gap and then go all in next year for Caleb Williams.

I’m in this camp.  I believe the Colts are in rebuild mode.  And if so, Lamar isn’t worth it.  I would even be ok with standing at 4 and then trying to grab Hendon Hooker later.  I personally like him better than Levis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

If we can't get Stroud or Young I am either drafting Anderson DE from Alabama or trading back. I would rather try to get QB from UT(Hooker) later in the draft

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wait...what?

How do you define "big moves?"

Bringing in Gilmore last year wasn't a big move?

Deforest Buckner?

Even the two quarterbacks, Rivers and Ryan, at the time, they were considered big deals.

You continue to blast Ballard because he hasn't hit on a quarterback. He has not shied away from making big moves though.

Rivers and Ryan were stop gaps and once Rivers retired he should have drafted one instead if trading for Wentz.