2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, btownqb said:

He won't go anywhere unless its a mid year trade after Eason proves himself. 

I agree. Whenever whatever happens happens it will be interesting. A mid year trade would be a good sign, but I expect them to let Jacoby play out the last year of his contract.  I probably find myself trusting Ballard more than any other coach or GM of any of my teams than I have for quite a while. 

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree. Whenever whatever happens happens it will be interesting. A mid year trade would be a good sign, but I expect them to let Jacoby play out the last year of his contract.  I probably find myself trusting Ballard more than any other coach or GM of any of my teams than I have for quite a while. 

Absolutely 

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I’m not surprised at all despite Wingo and the other guys on ESPN pushing for them to get picked. Eason doesn’t work hard and has an attitude and from is a good 5th rounder. 

Don't see a single thing wrong with Eason. Big time arm. Only spend a 4th rounder on him. Give Frank a chance to develop and grow under Rivers. If he hits you have a starter in 2 years. If he doesn't....it's a 4th round pick. Not much downside here at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't see a single thing wrong with Eason. Big time arm. Only spend a 4th rounder on him. Give Frank a chance to develop and grow under Rivers. If he hits you have a starter in 2 years. If he doesn't....it's a 4th round pick. Not much downside here at all.

I agree. I don’t see Ballard taking him if there are real concerns. I think he could be a good player to develop and even if not as a starter he could be a solid backup.

• Like 1

Unrelated to the draft, but this just kind of popped into my head.

Over the years, the Patriots developed into the most disliked team in the NFL, at least in Indiana.  I never really took the time to analyze whether the root of my dislike was more Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.  

Now that Brady has moved to Tampa, if the Bucs and the Patriot were to meet on the field (regular season game), who would I root for?  I think if it's a regular season game, I would root for the Patriots.  My disdain for Brady is just a touch more than my disdain for Belichick.  If it was the Super Bowl, I would have to see how I felt if that moment came.

Edited by 5fouls

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Unrelated to the draft, but this just kind of popped into my head.

Over the years, the Patriots developed into the most disliked team in the NFL, at least in Indiana.  I never really took the time to analyze whether the root of my dislike was more Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.  

Now that Brady has moved to Tampa, if the Bucs and the Patriot were to meet on the field (regular season game), who would I root for?  I think if it's a regular season game, I would root for the Patriots.  My disdain for Brady is just a touch more than my disdain for Belichick.  If it was the Super Bowl, I would have to see how I felt if that moment came.

Bucs. What Bruce Arians did for the Colts while Pagano was sick is worth my allegiance to him. Will root for Arians as long as his team is not playing the Horseshoes 

• Like 3

For the football gurus/coaches out there. Trying to make sense of a few things my Bears did over the weekend. Could be related to Colts too. Besides the size mismatch....what benefit does running multiple tight end sets do for an offense? Or on the flip side....what detriment does it cause opposing defenses? Nagy/Reich seem to love multiple tight end sets and I'm trying to figure out (besides size) what the benefits are?

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For the football gurus/coaches out there. Trying to make sense of a few things my Bears did over the weekend. Could be related to Colts too. Besides the size mismatch....what benefit does running multiple tight end sets do for an offense? Or on the flip side....what detriment does it cause opposing defenses? Nagy/Reich seem to love multiple tight end sets and I'm trying to figure out (besides size) what the benefits are?

Here is an article from 2013 that talks about it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1624948-breaking-down-why-the-two-tight-end-offense-is-the-best-in-the-nfl.amp.html

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Thanks! Very good article....makes sense what Nagy (and probably Reich) is trying to do. Does create mismatches,etc...and a very good way to attack 3-4. Appreciate you finding that one.

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Bucs. What Bruce Arians did for the Colts while Pagano was sick is worth my allegiance to him. Will root for Arians as long as his team is not playing the Horseshoes 

Always have been an Arians fan. Wanted him to be Bears coach after we moved on from Lovie. Instead we chose Trestman. Haha...another misstep by Bears organization. Always curious what could have been with a proven QB coach like Arians and Jay Cutler.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Colts' picks and news...

https://www.colts.com/team/draft/

I know the Colts have missed the playoffs more times than not in recent years.....but with the way Ballard is constructing this team I expect to see the Colts back in playoffs and challenging Chiefs, Ravens,etc...for years to come in AFC. Ballard is so darn good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know the Colts have missed the playoffs more times than not in recent years.....but with the way Ballard is constructing this team I expect to see the Colts back in playoffs and challenging Chiefs, Ravens,etc...for years to come in AFC. Ballard is so darn good.

They have to find that franchise QB.  Rivers is a good stop-gap, but Mahomes and Jackson are generational level players.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They have to find that franchise QB.  Rivers is a good stop-gap, but Mahomes and Jackson are generational level players.  

So here’s the deal with the Colts at quarterback. Eason will be at best a franchise quarterback if he reaches his potential. If he doesn’t maybe he can be a long term backup. Next years QB class could be really good if they decide to get a first round QB to be the face of the franchise if they don’t like the way Eason is developing. The 2021 class has Lawrence, Fields, Costello, Purdy, Trask, Newman, and Lance could all be first round candidates. Lance from North Dakota could be the prospect that shoots up boards into the top 3 prospects with Lawrence and Fields. So we’ll see what they do but they’ll have options.  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I just hope/pray that the Colts don't go down that Jeff George route to land a franchise QB...

I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention Simon Stepaniak getting drafted.  Maybe I missed a thread, but I couldn't find anything.  No shoutouts??  What's up with that?  Usually any IU player getting drafted is worth a mention...right??  Nice job, Simon!!  Woohoo!!  😁

• Like 3