2023 NFL Discussion

rico

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

5th, at worst. 

If DEN wins or the Rams.. we can move to 3rd or 4th. 

Rams have 5 wins so the Colts are now 3rd at best (#1 Bears, #2 Texans) and now need Denver and Arizona to win because the Colts would have one less loss due to their week 1 tie. If both lose, Colts pick 5th. 

54 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Rams have 5 wins so the Colts are now 3rd at best (#1 Bears, #2 Texans) and now need Denver and Arizona to win because the Colts would have one less loss due to their week 1 tie. If both lose, Colts pick 5th. 

Yes. I keep thinking Rams..  its AZ. 

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I think he was giving Daniel Jones as an example.  That if the Colts had someone like him they would at least be as good as those other two teams.  

Ballard passed on Jalen Hurts, in addition to the 3 All Pro receivers i mentioned earlier. Hard to believe he won’t screw up yet again. 

I just don't understand the certainty that the Bears will trade the number one pick.

We all agree they really need Carter or Anderson, right? And those two seem to have elite upside, right?

If those two answers are yes, then the amount someone would have to value Young or Stroud to move up would have to be enormous and I just don't see it. Things can always happen, but I think it would take a King's Ransom to get the Bears off of those picks.

It isn't like QBs always go 1 and 2, see last year as an example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I just don't understand the certainty that the Bears will trade the number one pick.

We all agree they really need Carter or Anderson, right? And those two seem to have elite upside, right?

If those two answers are yes, then the amount someone would have to value Young or Stroud to move up would have to be enormous and I just don't see it. Things can always happen, but I think it would take a King's Ransom to get the Bears off of those picks.

This is where I am at. I think the Bears will entertain offers, but if someone doesn't "wow them" then take a near certain defensive stud that can impact the game from day 1. The Bears are also projected to have the most salary cap room...so they can always go out and sign a top receiver/offensive lineman if they don't draft a top guy at those positions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree. 

14 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Ballard passed on Jalen Hurts, in addition to the 3 All Pro receivers i mentioned earlier. Hard to believe he won’t screw up yet again. 

Yep.  And he has also hit on some guys in round two notably Leonard, Taylor, Pittman, and, yes, Braden Smith.  And yes, Smith has had a down year this year.  No question.  But he has been great in the years prior to this one.

No GM is perfect.  Ballard certainly hasn’t been.  And just so I’m clear so you don’t misunderstand.  I’m not making excuses or saying I think he should be retained.  I’m honestly on the fence there.  

I think you need to move on.  The season is over and you’ve stated multiple times on Ballard missing on these guys.  You’ve made your point.

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The Bears can trade their pick and still get the guy they want plus something else.  

17 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Yes he passed on Hurts. He had Philip Rivers under contract. He also got two players in positions of need with Pittman and Taylor… both in the second round. Both being passed over for more than 40 picks.

That Deebo draft? Let’s take a look at some of the picks that preceded him…

N’keal Henry

DeAndre Baker

LJ Collier

Johnathan Abrams

Andre Dillard

Dwayne Haskins

Devin Bush

Clelin Ferrell

Point being, the draft is a crapshoot. You continue to cherry pick draft picks to rip on Ballard. Seems to me that there have been lots of misses by lots of teams. 
Woulds, shoulda, coulda is for losers. You continue to act like Ballard ought to have a crystal ball to make his selections. 
Tired of your one trick pony criticism 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes he passed on Hurts. He had Philip Rivers under contract. He also got two players in positions of need with Pittman and Taylor… both in the second round. Both being passed over for more than 40 picks.

That Deebo draft? Let’s take a look at some of the picks that preceded him…

N’keal Henry

DeAndre Baker

LJ Collier

Johnathan Abrams

Andre Dillard

Dwayne Haskins

Devin Bush

Clelin Ferrell

Point being, the draft is a crapshoot. You continue to cherry pick draft picks to rip on Ballard. Seems to me that there have been lots of misses by lots of teams. 
Woulds, shoulda, coulda is for losers. You continue to act like Ballard ought to have a crystal ball to make his selections. 
Tired of your one trick pony criticism 

How many years should he get to build a winner? 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

The Bears can trade their pick and still get the guy they want plus something else.  

We aren't saying the Bears shouldn't make a trade down and still get Carter... We are saying other teams (we don't think) will give up a draft pick haul to get B Young or Stroud. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

How many years should he get to build a winner? 

As long as it takes for a young quarterback to get established.

Your Hurts argument is funny. His draft profile was that he was a scheme quarterback, wildly inaccurate, and had been benched at Alabama in favor of Tua. No team had him as a first round pick. His performance in last year’s playoffs only cemented the “wait and see” opinion of him. This season, he has silenced his critics. Hasn’t proven he can do it in the playoffs. Could be a one year wonder. Defenses will catch up to him. Not dubbing him with sainthood quite yet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As long as it takes for a young quarterback to get established.

Your Hurts argument is funny. His draft profile was that he was a scheme quarterback, wildly inaccurate, and had been benched at Alabama in favor of Tua. No team had him as a first round pick. His performance in last year’s playoffs only cemented the “wait and see” opinion of him. This season, he has silenced his critics. Hasn’t proven he can do it in the playoffs. Could be a one year wonder. Defenses will catch up to him. Not dubbing him with sainthood quite yet.

I personally think 6 years is plenty of time. He’s probably going to get a 7th year, if for no other reason than Irsay foolishly gave him a five year extension for absolutely no reason. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I don't think they can, that's a dangerous assumption to make.

I don't see Anderson or Carter falling any further than 4, so if they trade back any further than that they are at huge risk of not getting their guy. Could they get a package worth that risk from someone? Sure, but that's far from a given. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't see Anderson or Carter falling any further than 4, so if they trade back any further than that they are at huge risk of not getting their guy. Could they get a package worth that risk from someone? Sure, but that's far from a given. 

I ain't assuming anything.

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m not sure that the teams at 2,3, and 4 wouldn’t want to trade up to 1. 

Does anyone think Geno Smith or Kyler Murray are Super Bowl QBs?