2023 NFL Discussion

rico

14 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I wouldn’t think so. Their owner came out today saying kyler is going to have input in the next head coach they hire so….

I agree. It's a waste of time to include the Cards in the "QB needy" teams convo, they don't feel that way.  

Now.. they could still trade down, no doubt, and that would affect the Colts, but they aren't drafting one. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

He said the top 2 QBs will be gone. Yes,  “A QB” will be there. Based on how many QB needy teams there are, I agree with him. 

Kaplan said today it’s “a lock” that the Bears trade that pick for a kings ransom. 

Always wise when people say something like that’s a lock at this point.

Nothing is a lock four months before the draft.  How silly.

I will say it again, if the price we pay for not overpaying for a QB that is not a generational QB prospect (neither are, although both good prospects IMO) is that we get a generational defensive prospect, then sign me up for that punishment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

QBs have gone 1-2 in 3 of the last 8 drafts. As well as 1 and 3 in 2018. 

Sure, but also 1 of the last 6 because of how poorly it worked out those 7 and 8 years ago. And then it worked poorly again when Zach Wilson went 2.

Not saying that it’s impossible for someone to overpay to move up, but I am saying it shouldn’t be the Colts. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Teams who really needs a QB will trade up probably with the Cardinals 

Okay then let them do that. If the argument is the Colts have a ton of holes in the roster then we can’t afford to give up assets to move up anyway.

Theres a pretty rich history of it not working out for the teams that do this, because rookie QBs need to be surrounded by a lot of guys not have it all traded away. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree. It's a waste of time to include the Cards in the "QB needy" teams convo, they don't feel that way.  

Now.. they could still trade down, no doubt, and that would affect the Colts, but they aren't drafting one. 

We don’t know yet how the new GM and Coach will feel about him. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

image.thumb.jpeg.446b5e051d464f2734450b8bef0ff23c.jpeg

I apologize….clearly Sam WAS the best qb on our team lol. Looking at that list….can’t imagine all 3 teams not looking for a new qb next year. 

The Bears aren’t moving on from Fields nor should they. These are for single games. He’s definitely not their biggest problem. The other 2 teams definitely needs QB’s.

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I will say it again, if the price we pay for not overpaying for a QB that is not a generational QB prospect (neither are, although both good prospects IMO) is that we get a generational defensive prospect, then sign me up for that punishment. 

Silly would be the Bears taking 1 player instead of the half dozen they can get in a trade down. But it is the Bears, so who knows. 

10 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Silly would be the Bears taking 1 player instead of the half dozen they can get in a trade down. But it is the Bears, so who knows. 

Can they not use any of that salary cap money they have? What about the 33rd pick, is that nothing?

You act like this is their only asset when in reality they already have tons in terms of ability to add players. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

You're not making a very good case for trading up

You said no teams would pay a lot for QB' s in this draft and showed you teams have for a lit less talented QB's.  I think Stroud especially will be a very good QB in the league, maybe a franchise. I think You g will he a notch below but be very good.  I agree the rest of the class aren't worth a high pick.  If the Colts pick at 4th and both of those guys are gone I am picking Anderson or trade down.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You said no teams would pay a lot for QB' s in this draft and showed you teams have for a lit less talented QB's.  I think Stroud especially will be a very good QB in the league, maybe a franchise. I think You g will he a notch below but be very good.  I agree the rest of the class aren't worth a high pick.  If the Colts pick at 4th and both of those guys are gone I am picking Anderson or trade down.

Okay, teams that do what you guys are advocating seem to regret it. Is that better?

51 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is that like having a generational guard. You said those two defensive guys are generational. I heard some say Anderson is very good but wouldn't put him in the category of some of the past top picks at the edge rusher

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is that lime having a generational guard. You said those two defensive guys are generational. I heard some say Anderson is very good but wouldn't put him in the category of some of the past top picks atv dge rusher

No, an edge guy is not like a guard.

Who said Anderson isn’t generational? Would love to see that link. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Can they not use any of that salary cap money they have? What about the 33rd pick, is that nothing?

You act like this is their only asset when in reality they already have tons in terms of ability to add players. 

Have you seen the Bears? They have more holes than you can fill in free agency. Pace missed on almost all his first round picks. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Do the Cards feel they're weak at QB? 

I would if I was their new GM…but I also don’t know who would take Murray at his contract off their hands. I mean he is a net negative imo. Id tear it down trade Hopkins, Ertz, and Murray if I could. Team is way way far from competing in that division.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Okay then let them do that. If the argument is the Colts have a ton of holes in the roster then we can’t afford to give up assets to move up anyway.

My argument is, this roster has so many holes that you’re not making a deep playoff run anytime soon, and you need to get your franchise QB before you are going to win your division, let alone the AFC.

Derek Carr isn’t the answer.

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

My argument is, this roster has so many holes that you’re not making a deep playoff run anytime soon, and you need to get your franchise QB before you are going to win your division, let alone the AFC.

Derek Carr isn’t the answer.

And this is another area where we will disagree.  Did you watch that Jags-Titans game the other night?  The Colts are a good QB and a healthy Leonard and Taylor from being able to win this division.  Now, a deep playoff run is something different so I’d concede your point on that part.

6 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

This roster is going nowhere next season. You have to get your QB now. Trade pretty much any combo of players and 2023 picks to the Bears. 

Someone will offer the Bears a bounty for that pick and they will take it. Might as well be the Colts, and get Stroud or Young. 

I’m not as desperate as you. I don’t think we are as bad as you think…and I don’t think we need to trade everything to get to #1. I think with the right coaching and the right system we can win our division. I also think with good coaching several of these qbs could be developed. While I don’t see a Pat Mahomes in this draft I also don’t just think there is no hope for all of them. Put them in a good situation to be successful and play to their strengths and we can be just fine. I’m also not opposed to taking one of the defensive talents and taking a qb at the end of rd 1 or early 2 if we really don’t think the value is there. Can always go all in next year if it is a deeper class. Imo the coaching decisions are key in all this. Right guys and right systems to be successful.

• Like 2