2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Silly would be the Bears taking 1 player instead of the half dozen they can get in a trade down. But it is the Bears, so who knows. 

If there is a franchise qb in this draft silly is the Bears not taking them. I’ve seen nothing to think Fields is one. Had a couple good games in the middle of the season but once again regressed at the end. Will always be banged up if he keeps running. If the new regime likes one then just trade Fields.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

And this is another area where we will disagree.  Did you watch that Jags-Titans game the other night?  The Colts are a good QB and a healthy Leonard and Taylor from being able to win this division.  Now, a deep playoff run is something different so I’d concede your point on that part.

The Jags and Lawrence are only going to get better every year. Carr gets you to .500 maybe. The Jags will win 11 games next year. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If there is a franchise qb in this draft silly is the Bears not taking them. I’ve seen nothing to think Fields is one. Had a couple good games in the middle of the season but once again regressed at the end. Will always be banged up if he keeps running. If the new regime likes one then just trade Fields.

That’s a good point. And then they would reset the cheap QB contract also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

The Bears aren’t moving on from Fields nor should they. These are for single games. He’s definitely not their biggest problem. The other 2 teams definitely needs QB’s.

I’ve been off the Fields bandwagon since he went pro. I’ve seen nothing that tells me he is going to suddenly turn into a great passing qb. Unless they bring in a qb guru to fix him they will have a poor man’s Lamar Jackson….complete with injuries. Don’t get me wrong I think any player with the desire and talent these nfl guys have if they get the right coaching can be a franchise guy but I don’t see that in Chicago and Fields needs a lot of work. He’s a glorified running back right now.

1 minute ago, Boiler Sam said:

OK - which QB do you propose the Colts go after?

Honestly?  I don’t know.  I have concerns about Young and Stroud and things I really like.  But I’m also not a scout and know the majority of first round picks of QBs are busts so I don’t think it’s just that easy to find that right guy.  Clearly the Colts need to go a different direction at QB though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

That’s a good point. And then they would reset the cheap QB contract also. 

I’m in the minority that has never been a Fields lover. To great presnap, not accurate passer, to slow to move on his progressions and read defense. Has a big arm and great size and runner but he needs a lot of help to be good qb…and I don’t see anyone employed by Bears to get him there. Maybe another team. Now if they want to simply be a run first qb situation like Baltimore…then by all means give him a go. Just build your team with big target tight ends and build your OL to run the ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Honestly?  I don’t know.  I have concerns about Young and Stroud and things I really like.  But I’m also not a scout and know the majority of first round picks of QBs are busts so I don’t think it’s just that easy to find that right guy.  Clearly the Colts need to go a different direction at QB though.

Or they can do the Texans thing and just roll with what they have and try to bank on a better qb class next year. Fans won’t like it and players probably won’t either…but if that is what is best then they have to be committed to a plan. Take the pass rusher/generational DT if that is the sure fire pro bowler. Heck I’m ok taking the defensive guy and moving back into the 20s with our second rd pick plus extra to draft a qb there too…if someone we like is there.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Or they can do the Texans thing and just roll with what they have and try to bank on a better qb class next year. Fans won’t like it and players probably won’t either…but if that is what is best then they have to be committed to a plan. Take the pass rusher/generational DT if that is the sure fire pro bowler.

That’s a good point.  Despite what some on here want to think, it’s possible Carr is better than anyone in this draft.  But I’m in agreement that if the top two QBs are taken and one of those generational guys on defense falls to the Colts I’m ok with that.  Go get a QB in round two.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

That’s a good point.  Despite what some on here want to think, it’s possible Carr is better than anyone in this draft.  But I’m in agreement that if the top two QBs are taken and one of those generational guys on defense falls to the Colts I’m ok with that.  Go get a QB in round two.

Your job is to build the best team you can…giving up assets doesn’t make sense unless you are head over heels for someone. If we are ok…but I’m not just sitting here. But maybe Ballard is..fine and dandy. But we’ve seen very good qbs taken outside the top 3 and later in the first or second rd. 

• Like 1

My focus is on a coach right now. Qb is hard to pick until we know what we want to run. I want an offensive minded coach. Issues I’ve seen over the years is when you have a hot OC you lose them as a HC hire so I’d prefer to keep offensive continuity in the house and worry about DC which seem to be able to get good replacements especially failed HCs.

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not as desperate as you. I don’t think we are as bad as you think…and I don’t think we need to trade everything to get to #1. I think with the right coaching and the right system we can win our division. I also think with good coaching several of these qbs could be developed. While I don’t see a Pat Mahomes in this draft I also don’t just think there is no hope for all of them. Put them in a good situation to be successful and play to their strengths and we can be just fine. I’m also not opposed to taking one of the defensive talents and taking a qb at the end of rd 1 or early 2 if we really don’t think the value is there. Can always go all in next year if it is a deeper class. Imo the coaching decisions are key in all this. Right guys and right systems to be successful.

Patrick Mahomes wasn't Patrick Mahomes the year he was drafted.  He wasn't thought to be a can't miss prospect when he came out in the draft.

In my mind there are only TWO (maybe 3) quarterbacks in the NFL that are capable of carrying a team to a Super Bowl victory.  Those two are Mahomes and Burrow.  That said, there are 6-8 other teams that could win the SB because of the strength of the team and/or coaching (Hello Brock Purdy).  Allen obviously has the talent, but I don't see the clutch gene in him that I do Mahomes and Burrow.  Now, the Bills can certainly win it because they have a good team and a good coach.    Brady obviously had the ability to carry a team in the past, but not any longer.

So, in my opinion, unless you find a Mahomes or Burrow in the draft, it would be better to find a solid starter in free agency than taking a risk in the draft.  Build the team around that solid veteran and then over the next 2-3 years try to find your Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Kirk Cousins, or Dak Prescott that can help LEAD a team to a Super Bowl, but not be expected to CARRY it there. 

That's what makes San Francisco so fascinating.  They are just about QB proof.  There is not another team in the league that would be one of the Super Bowl favorites with their 3rd string rookie QB.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You said no teams would pay a lot for QB' s in this draft and showed you teams have for a lit less talented QB's.  I think Stroud especially will be a very good QB in the league, maybe a franchise. I think You g will he a notch below but be very good.  I agree the rest of the class aren't worth a high pick.  If the Colts pick at 4th and both of those guys are gone I am picking Anderson or trade down.

I can't remember what I said but I thinknit was what teams are desperate enough to pay a kings ransom just to get a chance at one of these two?

Now if it was Joe Burrow.  You can go back and dig into those old threads and I said, blank it, give Cincinnati your next 4 first rounders if you have to because you won't need a quarterback for the next 15 years.  But not for these two.  That is how you set your franchise back another 3 or 4 years if they bust.  Is anyone calling them a sure thing?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My focus is on a coach right now. Qb is hard to pick until we know what we want to run. I want an offensive minded coach. Issues I’ve seen over the years is when you have a hot OC you lose them as a HC hire so I’d prefer to keep offensive continuity in the house and worry about DC which seem to be able to get good replacements especially failed HCs.

My first choice for HC is Harbaugh and I don't really want to go the coordinator route again.  I want a coach who has HC experience and not learning on the job. I also say the same thing about a GM but unfortunately it looks like Ballard will be back

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In my mind there are only TWO (maybe 3) quarterbacks in the NFL that are capable of carrying a team to a Super Bowl victory.  Those two are Mahomes and Burrow.  That said, there are 6-8 other teams that could win the SB because of the strength of the team and/or coaching (Hello Brock Purdy).  Allen obviously has the talent, but I don't see the clutch gene in him that I do Mahomes and Burrow.  Now, the Bills can certainly win it because they have a good team and a good coach.    Brady obviously had the ability to carry a team in the past, but not any longer.

So, in my opinion, unless you find a Mahomes or Burrow in the draft, it would be better to find a solid starter in free agency than taking a risk in the draft.  Build the team around that solid veteran and then over the next 2-3 years try to find your Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Kirk Cousins, or Dak Prescott that can help LEAD a team to a Super Bowl, but not be expected to CARRY it there. 

That's what makes San Francisco so fascinating.  They are just about QB proof.  There is not another team in the league that would be one of the Super Bowl favorites with their 3rd string rookie QB.    

I’m going to politely call this a homer take to say Burrow is and Allen isn’t.

Allen lost in the playoffs last year because of his defense and a coin flip.  Burrow had the ball and a chance to win in the playoffs and lost.

They’re both great but there is no reason to include Burrow in a class ahead of Allen at this point.