2023 NFL Discussion

rico

46 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Why did Ballard pay Hines big money?

Why did CMac go in the top 10 and JT in the 2nd round ? 

Hint: it’s because one of them is a versatile every down back and one isn’t. 

Look, I’m not knocking JT, but CMac is a bad comp. It’s like comparing Edgerrin James and Ricky Williams. 

What in the world is this post? 

You constantly knock Ballard, and are now using Ballard paying a guy after JT's rookie year as some knock on JT?

Who cares where they were drafted? Ryan Leaf went second overall and Tom Brady went in the 6th round. Who would you rather have?

JT rarely comes off the field when he is healthy, it was one of the frustrating things for the Colts because we didn't use Hines at all. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

What in the world is this post? 

You constantly knock Ballard, and are now using Ballard paying a guy after JT's rookie year as some knock on JT?

Who cares where they were drafted? Ryan Leaf went second overall and Tom Brady went in the 6th round. Who would you rather have?

JT rarely comes off the field when he is healthy, it was one of the frustrating things for the Colts because we didn't use Hines at all. 

I knew that post would go over your head. 

You can’t compare JT and CMac. Apples and oranges. 

• Confused 1

Okay. Maybe this has already been discussed, but I just read this review of Ballard's end-of-year, post-mortem presser: https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/1/10/23548543/chris-ballard-will-do-whatever-it-takes-to-land-franchise-quarterback-in-draft.

Admittedly, haven't yet reviewed it in its entirety. But, at first blush, I'm getting a Pagano/Grigson vibe from the post-kumbaya, pre-firing period. Hope this off-season and next season goes better for Ballard than the last one under that duo.

Edited by D-BONE

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

How do you know that? Should be really easy to link that sort of thing.

CMC has the 8th highest cap hit among RBs, so it isn't like he is paid in some different tier than other top backs by these GMs...

One was drafted in the top 10 and was subsequently given a 4 year $64 million deal. The other guy wasn’t drafted in the top 30, and won’t be given that kind of contract. 

58 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Okay. Maybe this has already been discussed, but I just read this review of Ballard's end-of-year, post-mortem presser: https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/1/10/23548543/chris-ballard-will-do-whatever-it-takes-to-land-franchise-quarterback-in-draft.

Admittedly, haven't yet reviewed it in its entirety. But, at first blush, I'm getting a Pagano/Grigson vibe from the post-kumbaya, pre-firing period. Hope this off-season and next season goes better for Ballard than the last one under that duo.

Ballard said all the right things. Now we’ll see if he can finally win the worst division in football in his 7th season. 

Did a nice job dancing around the “meddling owner” questions. 

23 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

One was drafted in the top 10 and was subsequently given a 4 year $64 million deal. The other guy wasn’t drafted in the top 30, and won’t be given that kind of contract. 

We have no idea, but I’d guess JT gets a big contract unless there are health concerns. 

25 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

He paid Hines big money because JT isn’t an every down back. Like CMac is. 

He did that before JT became elite. And you already questioned Ballard’s judgement, you don’t get to use that as proof when it’s convenient. 

3 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I knew that post would go over your head. 

You can’t compare JT and CMac. Apples and oranges. 

You’re right. The last couple of years CMC couldn’t stay on the field due to injuries while JT was carrying the ball more than 300 times—which was more touches than McCaffery averages running and catching. The only reason the Colts shut Taylor down this year was because they had nothing to play for.

And, per your own admission, the Colts have much less talent than San Francisco. Taylor has to carry his team much more than McCaffrey does his.

So who is more valuable?

• Like 2

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

You’re right. The last couple of years CMC couldn’t stay on the field due to injuries while JT was carrying the ball more than 300 times—which was more touches than McCaffery averages running and catching. The only reason the Colts shut Taylor down this year was because they had nothing to play for.

And, per your own admission, the Colts have much less talent than San Francisco. Taylor has to carry his team much more than McCaffrey does his.

So who is more valuable?

JT is certainly more valuable TO THE COLTS, with their ground and pound attack. 

He’s not as valuable TO OTHER NFL TEAMS with high powered passing attacks as McCaffrey. Hence their draft positions. 

This discussion is about whether JT can fetch the same amount of draft capital in a trade. Not about who is more valuable to their current team. 

It’s all about supply and demand. 

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

At 3? When you gave up 3 2nd rd picks to get him? 

When Josh Allen was there? 

Its worked well so far for the Jets!

Would Josh Allen be where he is if he went to the Jets and didn’t work with Brian Diaboll and Ken Dorsey? If they never traded for Diggs? I’m saying he might have struggled too in NY with that cast of receivers and that staff Darnold had. Would Mahomes be what he is if he landed with another coach and system instead of Andy Reid?? That was all I meant. There will be a whole lot more that goes into the selection and how it works out then just the kid himself. Let me know who our coach and system will be and I will tell you who I prefer at QB.

Edited by dgambill

15 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Agree.  I don’t know what is so complicated.  He has shown he can be utilized in the passing game but the Colts don’t use him that much.  I wish they did because I believe he has that skill set.

I think they will more with Hines gone, but it’s not like he was being used at Derrick Henry levels even with Hines here. It was still a good amount, just not CMC or Ekeler type levels. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

JT is certainly more valuable TO THE COLTS, with their ground and pound attack. 

He’s not as valuable TO OTHER NFL TEAMS with high powered passing attacks as McCaffrey. Hence their draft positions. 

This discussion is about whether JT can fetch the same amount of draft capital in a trade. Not about who is more valuable to their current team. 

It’s all about supply and demand. 

But draft position has nothing to do with it. Brady was a sixth round pick, what does that have to do with today?

JT didn’t “slip” because of his skill set, it’s because of his workload in college, slight concerns about fumbling, and questions around how long he will play. JT is similar to guys like Zeke or Saquon in play style (more explosive than both though) and they were both top 5 picks.

One year from now (or maybe even this offseason) it’s going to look really silly to say JT isn’t value like CMC when he commands a similar contract.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But draft position has nothing to do with it. Brady was a sixth round pick, what does that have to do with today?

JT didn’t “slip” because of his skill set, it’s because of his workload in college, slight concerns about fumbling, and questions around how long he will play. JT is similar to guys like Zeke or Saquon in play style (more explosive than both though) and they were both top 5 picks.

One year from now (or maybe even this offseason) it’s going to look really silly to say JT isn’t value like CMC when he commands a similar contract.

I’d add that Wisconsin’s scheme didn’t exactly allow him to show what he could do in the passing game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

CMac, Zeke, and Saquon were drafted way earlier than JT because they were all much better in the passing game in college. 

I guarantee JT won’t get a 4 year $64 million contract like CMac. Nor will he command the same amount of draft capital in a trade.