2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I want the Colts to lose but lose close. They aren't making a playoff run this year. They need 1 more high picking draft class to surround AR with as much talent as possible imo since Ballard is never going to do it via the FA market.  

Edited by DC2345
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

I want the Colts to lose. They need 1 more high picking draft class to surround AR with as much talent as possible imo since Ballard is never going to do it via the FA market.  

There really isn't that option there that people think, though, so yes, I do hope he does it in the draft. 

Jags overpaid for C Kirk, outside of him, what WR was a splash of any sort in FA? Thielen, Jakobi Myers are the only other two. 

• Like 1

RE: Colts Loss

Gameplan was great both sides, D was strong, O was good overall, just too many key mistakes. Who's to blame? Plenty to go around: injuries, refs, Steichen key decisions, Minshew lack of pocket awareness, individual instances of poor execution (i.e. TE and Freeland's complete whiff on apparent double team assignment on Garret on strip-sack TD in end zone late 2nd quarter), not having enough depth to cover or jettison DBJ in DB room, and the list goes on and on.

Very frustrating loss, but I will state whole-heartedly that watching this team under Steichen's direction thus far is way more entertaining than the majority of Pagano or Reich. Hope they can all learn from it, improve, and we see the results from that the remainder of this season and then even more so next.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D-BONE said:

RE: Colts Loss

Gameplan was great both sides, D was strong, O was good overall, just too many key mistakes. Who's to blame? Plenty to go around: injuries, refs, Steichen key decisions, Minshew lack of pocket awareness, individual instances of poor execution (i.e. TE and Freeland's complete whiff on apparent double team assignment on Garret on strip-sack TD in end zone late 2nd quarter), not having enough depth to cover or jettison DBJ in DB room, and the list goes on and on.

Very frustrating loss, but I will state whole-heartedly that watching this team under Steichen's direction thus far is way more entertaining than the majority of Pagano or Reich. Hope they can all learn from it, improve, and we see the results from that the remainder of this season and then even more so next.

The Browns have a solid defense.  Scoring 38 points against them is no joke.  While certainly the players deserve some credit, the coaching staff warrants a significant amount of praise as well.  The Colts exploited just about every opportunity the Browns defense provided.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Browns have a solid defense.  Scoring 38 points against them is no joke.  While certainly the players deserve some credit, the coaching staff warrants a significant amount of praise as well.  The Colts exploited just about every opportunity the Browns defense provided.  

Through 5 games the Browns had given up 1002 yards and yesterday alone gave up almost half of that 456

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Not sure what this proves? Baker impedes him with his left arm, which you can’t see in the photo?

Without getting into if that was a good call or not if there wasn’t a fumble, this shows the fumble happened simultaneously to the contact, so it’s not a penalty. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Without getting into if that was a good call or not if there wasn’t a fumble, this shows the fumble happened simultaneously to the contact, so it’s not a penalty. 

That was my point. He could have already been impeding him with his left arm by the time this photo was taken. You can’t tell. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Okay - there's also a video out there showing it was simultaneous. 

Haven’t seen that.

Bottom line is Baker isn’t any good, and he makes up for it by grabbing and giving the refs opportunities to make calls on him. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/17e2flt/highlight_darrell_baker_jr_called_for_an_illegal/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Haven’t seen that.

Bottom line is Baker isn’t any good, and he makes up for it by grabbing and giving the refs opportunities to make calls on him. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/17e2flt/highlight_darrell_baker_jr_called_for_an_illegal/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

I don't disagree with your assessment of Baker, it's unfortunate we have major depth issues at CB.

I don't think that was a foul regardless of the fumble timing, doesn't seem like Cooper came up looking for a flag either. Baker got shook, but Cooper also came into him as a result of that and Baker does have a right to use his hands if the receiver is initiating the contact, which he was IMO. There's also the whole "impedes" things which it doesn't appear he did. 

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree with your assessment of Baker, it's unfortunate we have major depth issues at CB.

I don't think that was a foul regardless of the fumble timing, doesn't seem like Cooper came up looking for a flag either. Baker got shook, but Cooper also came into him as a result of that and Baker does have a right to use his hands if the receiver is initiating the contact, which he was IMO. There's also the whole "impedes" things which it doesn't appear he did. 

I respectfully disagree. Cooper made a quick cut to the outside and Baker stuck out his left arm to slow him down. Would be nice if they could use replay to see if it was before or after the fumble. 

The 2nd call was the horrendous one in my opinion. Why even have the “uncatchable” language in the rule if you don’t use it there? 

46 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I respectfully disagree. Cooper made a quick cut to the outside and Baker stuck out his left arm to slow him down. Would be nice if they could use replay to see if it was before or after the fumble. 

Yes, and Cooper also pushed when he made the cut. 

46 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

The 2nd call was the horrendous one in my opinion. Why even have the “uncatchable” language in the rule if you don’t use it there? 

I agree that was worse. That was the worst PI/Non-PI call I can remember since the NFC Championship game a couple years ago. 

21 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

The NFL said you're wrong.  

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

lol man... you're the only Colts fan on the planet that doesn't realize those plays were called incorrectly. 

Actually, the only football fan on the planet. 

The first one was the definition of illegal contact- even Kevin Bowen said this- unless the fumble happened first.

2nd one was ridiculous.

But the point is Baker committed 2 fouls and needed to get bailed out by the refs. He wasn’t. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

The first one was the definition of illegal contact- even Kevin Bowen said this- unless the fumble happened first.

2nd one was ridiculous.

But the point is Baker committed 2 fouls and needed to get bailed out by the refs. He wasn’t. 

There can't be illegal contact if the ball is out of the QBs hand lol 

He committed zero fouls, though, if we're being honest with each other. Needed to get bailed out by the officials? You meant to say... Baker needed the to plays where the defense he played was correct, to be called correctly. He can't do anything about officials who don't understand the rules. 

Edited by btownqb

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There can't be illegal contact if the ball is out of the QBs hand lol 

He committed zero fouls, though, if we're being honest with each other. Needed to get bailed out by the officials? You meant to say... Baker needed the to plays where the defense he played was correct, to be called correctly. He can't do anything about officials who don't understand the rules. 

I haven’t seen definitive proof the ball was fumbled before he impeded Cooper with his left arm. Maybe you have it. If so, great. 

Here’s a better way to put it: He committed defensive fouls that required him to be bailed out by SOMEONE else: his teammate, Walker throwing a terrible pass, or the refs swallowing their whistle. 

1 minute ago, Boiler Sam said:

I haven’t seen definitive proof the ball was fumbled before he impeded Cooper with his left arm. Maybe you have it. If so, great. 

Here’s a better way to put it: He committed defensive fouls that required him to be bailed out by SOMEONE else: his teammate, Walker throwing a terrible pass, or the refs swallowing their whistle. 

Or.... and much more likely, especially on the first one, he realized the blitz we put on, coupled with the route Cooper was running... PJW was going to throw a pick if he gets that pass off. Zero chance PJW gets enough on that ball to get it to where it was going to need to go, as he's being hit. 

Baker played the only spot on the field PJW was going to be able to throw the ball successfully with reference to the blitz. But then the officials couldn't do their job. 

Nothing in sports irritates me more when officials inject themselves directly into an outcome. Now some fans will say yep but you had your chances,etc....and that's true but at the moment in question the refs blew not one but two calls that directly determined the game.

1 game usually determines who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. Just a shame.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or.... and much more likely, especially on the first one, he realized the blitz we put on, coupled with the route Cooper was running... PJW was going to throw a pick if he gets that pass off. Zero chance PJW gets enough on that ball to get it to where it was going to need to go, as he's being hit. 

Baker played the only spot on the field PJW was going to be able to throw the ball successfully with reference to the blitz. But then the officials couldn't do their job. 

PJ has enough arm to throw a fade into the end zone from the 25 yard line off his back foot. 

Baker got cooked and he knew it, so he stuck out his left arm to slow him down.

If PJ was hit before that contact, then yeah the colts got screwed twice.

Moral of the story: Shouldn’t have let PJ friggin Walker drive into your red zone in 45 seconds. 

5 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

PJ has enough arm to throw a fade into the end zone from the 25 yard line off his back foot. 

Baker got cooked and he knew it, so he stuck out his left arm to slow him down.

If PJ was hit before that contact, then yeah the colts got screwed twice.

Moral of the story: Shouldn’t have let PJ friggin Walker drive into your red zone in 45 seconds. 

Not when EJ Speed is in his grill. Not happening. 

That game should have been won in the first 58 mins, and then the officials didn't understand rules.