2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Whose idea was it to draft Bryce Young #1 overall?  That is who should be fired.

I think Bryce can be every bit as good as Purdy or Tua…he just has no weapons and even worse no offensive line. I thought they would be more aggressive in free agency to get him a weapon or two but they didn’t. The defense i thought would be better than it is…but overall a very lackluster team and I think it starts at the top. Just no juice on this team.

Edited by dgambill

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Bryce can be every bit as good as Purdy or Tua…he just has no weapons and even worse no offensive line. I thought they would be more aggressive in free agency to get him a weapon or two but they didn’t. The defense i thought would be better than it is…but overall a very lackluster team and I think it starts at the top. Just no juice on this team.

They got him Thielen. That's literally the best FA WR that I can remember.  

Acquiring talent/weapons through FAs really doesn't happen. Contrary to Colts fans beliefs. 

We had Colts fans clamoring that Ballard was clueless he didn't sign Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson two years ago.... 

Weapons are drafted or traded for. There really isn't an example or many examples to offset that.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Just getting back from the Bears game last night. First thing glad we got the W but Lord. You hold a team to 213 yards and you win by 3? In terms of game Kmet is starting to turn into who we thought he was. Moore is really good just doesn't have a QB to throw to him. Bagent is capable and I'd like for the Bears to bring him back for sure as backup.

For Carolina. We thank you. Just like last year we'll figure out a way to either draft a QB (if Fields doesn't show anything) or turn it into another haul. I think the owner wanting Young is backfiring and only Reich and the owner know that.

Solider Field. We love you and we love going there but once again easily one of the worst gameday experiences. If you don't have a tailgate pass you find a bar with the other 10k Bears fans. We got to Kitty O'Sheas at 330 and got the last table. Few rounds later you have to start the 20 minute walk to get to the gate entrance. Once there it's the same old stuff....but my biggest complaint is postgame. They have just a few entrances or exits you can use. I timed it. 34 minute walk from leaving Soldier Field past the Fields Museum, past Grant Park just to get to Michigan Ave....and trust me there was easily 15k empty seats last night.

One other thing to pass along. Warren has gone totally radio silent on Arlington Heights. My buddies wife helps with some things involving the project. I'm not convinced it happens and if it does we might be talking 8 years out. 

The one good thing about Bears on Thursday is I get a full slate of good teams to watch on Sunday.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

They got him Thielen. That's literally the best FA WR that I can remember.  

Acquiring talent/weapons through FAs really doesn't happen. Contrary to Colts fans beliefs. 

We had Colts fans clamoring that Ballard was clueless he didn't sign Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson two years ago.... 

Weapons are drafted or traded for. There really isn't an example or many examples to offset that.  

Agreed free agency isn’t the place to get premium players. Kirk is the last really good acquisition but even he is way over paid. I probably would have went all in on Hopkins…he would have been much more helpful to Young.

Mingo their second rd pick has been pretty much invisible and Chark has given them nothing. Hopefully they can improve on their connection the second half of the season. obviously Reich looks like the coach that got fired in Indy and not the guru that helped Philly win a SB and took us to the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed free agency isn’t the place to get premium players. Kirk is the last really good acquisition but even he is way over paid. I probably would have went all in on Hopkins…he would have been much more helpful to Young.

Mingo their second rd pick has been pretty much invisible and Chark has given them nothing. Hopefully they can improve on their connection the second half of the season. obviously Reich looks like the coach that got fired in Indy and not the guru that helped Philly win a SB and took us to the playoffs.

I'm not arguing they have weapons, they don't. But AT is solid, build the rest in the draft. I don't think there's another route. 

• Like 1

I really wish that the Bears would take a page from the Cubs and use this Michigan/Harbaugh fiasco opportunity to lure him back to the NFL. He has already shown he has interest in returning, I would venture to guess this suspension situation has fueled his desire to leave the college ranks more. Bears/Harbaugh seem like such a good fit at this time...except I know it will not happen, because, well McCaskeys.

george mccaskey Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I really wish that the Bears would take a page from the Cubs and use this Michigan/Harbaugh fiasco opportunity to lure him back to the NFL. He has already shown he has interest in returning, I would venture to guess this suspension situation has fueled his desire to leave the college ranks more. Bears/Harbaugh seem like such a good fit at this time...except I know it will not happen, because, well McCaskeys.

Not in agreement with this at all. Bailing out a known cheater. Same reason that I can’t stomach anything to do with Pete Carroll. Trash your college program, leave it behind and then get paid millions by some NFL owner. Would rather see Harbaugh become a pariah and end up coaching some JV high school team 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not in agreement with this at all. Bailing out a known cheater. Same reason that I can’t stomach anything to do with Pete Carroll. Trash your college program, leave it behind and then get paid millions by some NFL owner. Would rather see Harbaugh become a pariah and end up coaching some JV high school team 

I wanted Harbaugh before they hired Eberflus, long before any of this came out. Even so, as others have already pointed out in the other thread, I really don't think what Michigan did was a big deal.

Either way, I'm sure the McCaskeys would never hire Harbaugh regardless, due to his personality.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I wanted Harbaugh before they hired Eberflus, long before any of this came out. Even so, as others have already pointed out in the other thread, I really don't think what Michigan did was a big deal.

Either way, I'm sure the McCaskeys would never hire Harbaugh regardless, due to his personality.

I think it’s a big deal. It’s called integrity. He is the leader of the program and had to know what was happening. Not only was the program caught red handed, but he’s lied about not having any knowledge of what was going on . 

No way would I want him leading a team that I am a fan of.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think it’s a big deal. It’s called integrity. He is the leader of the program and had to know what was happening. Not only was the program caught red handed, but he’s lied about not having any knowledge of what was going on . 

Michigan is not on an island with this. Michigan reportedly has evidence that Purdue, Rutgers, and OSU were sharing Michigan's signals as well. It is happening all over, not just in Ann Arbor. Compare this to the cesspool that occurred at MSU and Penn State, and to me it is small potatoes. Fine Michigan and be done with it.

• Like 5

I don’t get the big deal at all. There are like a million cameras all over the place recording the game. Every sport scouts opponents and their plays and formations etc. Baseball scouts 3rd base signals, basketball scouts calls, I guess I don’t understand. You change your signals every week and sometimes half to half. There is a vendetta towards Harbaugh from buying a burger for recruit to this…just shows how petty the B1G really is and particular Ohio St who has been way worse in the past but continuously gotten away with stuff and been given advantage by the B1G.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Integrity is to get all the facts, on ALL the schools that are doing it and then hold them all equally accountable. Hard to feign integrity in college sports with the NCAA running things. How about some integrity for the process. This was a commissioner with no backbone compituating to some programs complaining about getting their butt whipped and rushing a decision because of public pressure.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t get the big deal at all. There are like a million cameras all over the place recording the game. Every sport scouts opponents and their plays and formations etc. Baseball scouts 3rd base signals, basketball scouts calls, I guess I don’t understand. You change your signals every week and sometimes half to half. There is a vendetta towards Harbaugh from buying a burger for recruit to this…just shows how petty the B1G really is and particular Ohio St who has been way worse in the past but continuously gotten away with stuff and been given advantage by the B1G.

Agree. This feels like slapping IU for phone calls when other programs are dropping bags of cash and having fake classes, only too then make the phone calls legal the next year because everyone is doing it. 

I mean, in basketball you spend the couple days before the game literally practicing the other teams plays. Coaches trade game tapes, etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I don’t think Harbaugh would fit well in the NFL. He is just abrasive and wears out not just players but front offices.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think Harbaugh would fit well in the NFL. He is just abrasive and wears out not just players but front offices.

I think he would be good for a few years before he would wear out his welcome...however, I think he could accomplish quite a bit in those years before he would be shown the door. The Bears are on organization that needs a shakeup desperately, and he could provide that in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Integrity is to get all the facts, on ALL the schools that are doing it and then hold them all equally accountable. Hard to feign integrity in college sports with the NCAA running things. How about some integrity for the process. This was a commissioner with no backbone compituating to some programs complaining about getting their butt whipped and rushing a decision because of public pressure.

The excuse that others are doing it sounds like something I’d hear on a playground. Even if others were taking what Michigan did, they didn’t go to the same extent as hiring this guy and letting him fly all over the country doing this. And Harbaugh’s lie that he was unaware of what was happening is pathetically laughable or laughably pathetic, depending on your point of view. 

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The excuse that others are doing it sounds like something I’d hear on a playground. Even if others were taking what Michigan did, they didn’t go to the same extent as hiring this guy and letting him fly all over the country doing this. And Harbaugh’s lie that he was unaware of what was happening is pathetically laughable or laughably pathetic, depending on your point of view. 

Like I said…I’d be good with it if all the other coaches that did it get suspended hours before their biggest game too. Selective enforcement and over-reaction imo. B1G commish cowtailing to public pressure and the other schools.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2