2023 NFL Discussion

rico

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Not sure what doesn’t make sense.  I’m sure Shane is second guessing this morning.  Hell, he basically said as much last night.  And Minshew has been inaccurate his whole career, he also said last night that he should’ve thrown a better ball there.  He spun Goodson around as opposed to hitting him in stride, do you not see it that way?  Troy Aikman said as much as well.

No. I don't. 

Goodson needed to recognize quicker when he was open rather than worry about the route called. I expect GM to never leave a teammate out to dry. Same with a coach. I undoubtedly agree Steichen will be secong guessing himself, as a good coach, you should. 

For all of you complaining about the call on 4th and 1, I wish you were listening to the radio and could hear Venturi call the whole thing live and break it down in the aftermath.  This includes why the time out was necessary.  The guy knows more football than all of us combined and he called it the perfect play call for the defense Houston had called.  He also had zero issue with the personnel on the field and said while the pass wasn’t perfect it still should have been caught by a guy who is specifically brought in for passing plays.  I’ll take the word from a guy who spent decades coaching in the NFL.

• Like 1

Want to critique my own opinion on the 4th down play in regards to Gardner... 

If he throws that specific ball on 1st and 10--- its a pathetic throw. Awful.. most it would have gained is 3 yards. 

On 4th and 1.. I can't put that on Gardner. I think Goodson has to slow his body down quicker/recognize WHEN he's open. Catch the ball, fall down for 2-3 yards and we march on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here is what I think of be Colts needs are for the Colts next year.

Resign Pittman, Stewart, Moore

Need to look at if we need to replace our RT. He makes a lot of money and has been injured.

Needs WR, Safety, CB, Edge Rusher, RT

You've came full circle on paying DTs I see ;)

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Watching that play for like the 100th time.. I think Goodsons intital route needed to have more width as well. That would have created a simpler angle for catch and throw. 

100%. Also would've allowed him to catch the ball with his head toward the defense.

Running vertical that early forces Minshew in a tough spot. If the defender gets to Goodson faster, it suddenly becomes a bang bang play.

Blame to be had on all.

Edited by ephul
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

Would love for the colts to go after Higgins if Cincy let's him walk. Resigning Higgins and having Pittman, Higgins and Downs is pretty good. Would love to even pick up a WR if one falls in the draft.

I doubt the Colts could afford to give both WR 25 mil a year which is what both will probably get.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Want to critique my own opinion on the 4th down play in regards to Gardner... 

If he throws that specific ball on 1st and 10--- its a pathetic throw. Awful.. most it would have gained is 3 yards. 

On 4th and 1.. I can't put that on Gardner. I think Goodson has to slow his body down quicker/recognize WHEN he's open. Catch the ball, fall down for 2-3 yards and we march on. 

I don’t necessarily hate the play call at face value.  Clearly, if executed properly it’s a 1st down and more.  However, it was the most important play of the season, and we had an inaccurate passer throwing to an inexperienced receiver.  We didn’t have the best personnel to make that play successful.  Simply put we did not put the best people into position to be successful.  If IU is down 3 with 10 seconds to play against Rutgers this week and Woodson draws up a last play for Jordan Rayford to take a 3, I will be upset with the play call.  That last play did not put the team in the best position to be successful.  I get we didn’t have a choice with Minshew, but why Gooden in that moment?  He had 6 receptions all year!  Why not Moss or Taylor, or even Downs?  Why isn’t Taylor in the game even as a decoy?

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Braden Smiths health is not Chris Ballard's fault, but I would either restructure Smiths contract or I would look into cutting him.

So we need OT, a CB1 and a WR1. Agree to disagree on having a stud edge. 

And S, LB, and RB if Moss leaves. 

No game breakers at TE either. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Watching that play for like the 100th time.. I think Goodsons intital route needed to have more width as well. That would have created a simpler angle for catch and throw. 

Maybe you don’t put your entire season in the hands of a guy who has been on active roster for less than a month. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt the Colts could afford to give both WR 25 mil a year which is what both will probably get.

Neither one is worth 25 million. Maybe they get it... im sure the Colts will overpay Pittman. But that's a little steep for both. 

9 minutes ago, ephul said:

Neither one is worth 25 million. Maybe they get it... im sure the Colts will overpay Pittman. But that's a little steep for both. 

That is about what the average WR gets today. There are 12 receivers paid over 20 mil

Edited by IU Scott

58 minutes ago, ephul said:

Pittman has Ballard over the barrel now. They have so few weapons without him, as we saw a couple weeks back. 

5 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Pittman has Ballard over the barrel now. They have so few weapons without him, as we saw a couple weeks back. 

Agreed. I think looking at the pay of top WRs, Pittman isn't in the same "category" as them.

But he's the best WR on the team. He's solid and seems unselfish. I wouldn't hate Ballard overspending for him. I just don't think he's in the Diggs, Hill, etc category.

5 hours ago, ephul said:

Agreed. I think looking at the pay of top WRs, Pittman isn't in the same "category" as them.

But he's the best WR on the team. He's solid and seems unselfish. I wouldn't hate Ballard overspending for him. I just don't think he's in the Diggs, Hill, etc category.

I think he’s more in the $20 million a year range. 

29 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I think he’s more in the $20 million a year range. 

Agreed. I think he gets more than that just for being a homegrown guy, but I think open market, $20 million is about right.