2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

NFL has approved flex scheduling for Thursday night games in weeks 13-17.  Main caveat is that teams that had a road Thursday game earlier in the schedule cant get a 2nd road game (but could get flexed home game).  

Their ratings must be unreal on these Thurs games, I still hate them, but I'm not the one making a profit off them. And using these weeks, surely they'll put some big games in there, too. 

IMO-- the main caveat is they have to give those teams like 28 days or something notice before they flex them. 

Also.. I would be PISSED if I bought tix for a Sun game, they flex it to Thursday, and I couldn't make the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

NFL has approved flex scheduling for Thursday night games in weeks 13-17.  Main caveat is that teams that had a road Thursday game earlier in the schedule cant get a 2nd road game (but could get flexed home game).  

Basically it's the NFL's way (and I think smart) of realizing Amazon is a huge corporate partner and they don't want 17 crap games again like they had last year.

I don't know all the rules and no clue why it was such a close vote but TNF whether it's good for the players or not is equally as important as SNF or MNF. It's a stand alone game that needs to have better teams playing. I don't mind it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

this 

I can't stand the new kickoff rules, they should just put the ball on the 25 and just do away with the kickoff all together. Some of the most exciting plays use to be the kickoff returns with big plays and hits but they want to do away with all of that.

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

this 

So many careers have been made on Special Teams. If safety is the motivating factor make the helmet or equipment safer don't keep eliminating parts of the game. Shoot my Bears offense in Super Bowl year (06-07) was putrid but the difference was Devin Hester on Kick/Punt Returns.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cardinals release Deandre Hopkins. Talk about an organization that is just going to be brutal while still having a $200M contract tied around your franchise QB who hasn't shown a thing yet.

Wow.  That is interesting.  I would imagine that his agent's phone has already rang several times.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Wow.  That is interesting.  I would imagine that his agent's phone has already rang several times.

He's mentioned Baltimore before....but if I'm Deandre Hopkins I start figuring out the legacy part of his equation. I'm sniffing KC, Bills, Bengals....dark horse might be Jacksonville because he's from SC originally. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 2:00 PM, Seeking6 said:

He's mentioned Baltimore before....but if I'm Deandre Hopkins I start figuring out the legacy part of his equation. I'm sniffing KC, Bills, Bengals....dark horse might be Jacksonville because he's from SC originally. 

I think his legacy is pretty set - he should chase a ring if that's what he wants, but lots of great WR never won rings. 

• Like 2

7. AFC South

Notoriously the worst division in football over the last few years, the AFC South has improved thanks to the resurgence of the Jacksonville Jaguars. A surprising division winner in Doug Pederson's first year, Jacksonville has a franchise quarterback in Trevor Lawrence who makes the Jaguars a dark horse Super Bowl contender in the AFC. The addition of Calvin Ridley and the improvement of Travis Etienne makes the offense more dynamic.

What to make of the other three teams? The Tennessee Titans collapsed with Ryan Tannehill and Derrick Henry last year but are primed to run it back for 2023. When will Tennessee turn the page to Will Levis? The offensive line is better with Andre Dillard and Peter Skoronski, but can this team compete for the division? 

The Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts have rookie quarterbacks and first-time head coaches, so they're rebuilding this year. Indianapolis has an opportunity to improve the quickest if the offensive line can straighten things out and Shaquille Leonard can stay healthy. For the Texans, developing C.J. Stroud and keeping him upright would be a successful season. 

Jacksonville is the class of this division, which appears to have three mediocre to bad teams after the Jaguars. Another year toward the bottom of the division rankings is likely. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nfl-divisions-from-1-8-after-big-2023-free-agency-moves-draft-will-nfc-east-be-even-better/

• Like 2

The hope would be we are competitive but lose a lot of close games….Richardson shows growth as a passer and we get lots of big plays to make us fun to watch. Then hopefully draft high next year in hopes of bringing in Marvin JR or perhaps an elite pass rush or tackle prospect. 

On 5/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Seeking6 said:

So many careers have been made on Special Teams. If safety is the motivating factor make the helmet or equipment safer don't keep eliminating parts of the game. Shoot my Bears offense in Super Bowl year (06-07) was putrid but the difference was Devin Hester on Kick/Punt Returns.

It’s how so many late round picks make rosters…which gives them their opportunity to stick around for a few years and hopefully earn a shot when someone goes down and their name gets called.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saying it is not a star but would be recognizable to the average fan. Also heard it is a defensive player. So with this my thought it might be Kenny Moore. His play the last year or so has went down and he had problems about his contract last training camp. 

To me the stars on defense is Buckner, Leonard and Stewart so that would eliminate them. The rest are f the defensive wouldn't be recognized by the average fan.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saying it is not a star but would be recognizable to the average fan. Also heard it is a defensive player. So with this my thought it might be Kenny Moore. His play the last year or so has went down and he had problems about his contract last training camp. 

To me the stars on defense is Buckner, Leonard and Stewart so that would eliminate them. The rest are f the defensive wouldn't be recognized by the average fan.

I’m doing nothing more than speculating here but could this be the reason they didn’t re-sign Ngakoue?  Personally, I think he would fit that description.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is not on the roster so no

I didn’t read the article and I just read your post so I didn’t see that about being on the roster.

I read the article.  It didn’t say on the roster.  It did say one of their players which to me is kinda vague but I get it.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess it is Isiah Rodgers a CB. He was going to be a starter at one of the outside CB position. We have really no experience at the CB position and the top 3 is a second year non drafted player and two rookies 

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess it is Isiah Rodgers a CB. He was going to be a starter at one of the outside CB position. We have really no experience at the CB position and the top 3 is a second year non drafted player and two rookies 

Not exactly someone I would say is recognizable by an average fan. 

Link to article suggests more players are under investigation for gambling.

Slippery slope for NFL. With how they've embraced gambling, fantasy, fanduel, NFL stadiums have gambling,etc...if I were guessing the reason we are hearing more about this now is because the NFL never wanted to know before. Problem is more widespread and now they have to do something about it.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nfl-investigating-gambling-allegations-involving-multiple-players/