Eastern Michigan Game Thread

I think we are starting to see Archie in action as a coach.  What he is doing, with the hand he was dealt, is bringing this team to a higher level, game after game.  No question, Archie knows his personnel, as was shown in the second half when he had McRoberts, Hartman, and Davis all on the floor at the same time.  Archie is starting to figure this out. And shows how he was able to make the NCAAT, one year, with a limited amount of scholarship players.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I take responsibility for all the ills in the world for the last 482 years.  

So you're saying the Church of England splitting away from the Catholic Church in November of 1534 was all your fault and has caused all the world's problems? I always suspected as much. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So you're saying the Church of England splitting away from the Catholic Church in November of 1534 was all your fault and has caused all the world's problems? I always suspected as much. 

If there was a emoji that reflected my penance, I would would post it.

A lot to like tonight...

• Excellent outside shooting
  • low turnovers
  • senior leadership
  • The psychological lift of Colin Hartman on the floor nailing his first 3.
  • CAM holding players accountable
  • The very solid play of two freshmen.
  • IU tearing up a 2-3 zone
  • McSwain showing he can contribute at a high level
  • The obvious buy-in from the players
  • steady, solid improvement from the team

I'll stay with my prediction of 20 wins, but if they fall short playing like they did tonight, I'm fine with that.  The future is bright.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I know there is a desire to compare them since they are both white guys, but they really aren’t that similar. 

Ok, both of them being white has nothing to do with it. Im not saying they are carbon coppies of each other, but they are similar. They both pay attention to and do the little things a team needs to win.

24 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Ok, both of them being white has nothing to do with it. Im not saying they are carbon coppies of each other, but they are similar. They both pay attention to and do the little things a team needs to win.

Nothing against McRoberts. He plays hard, makes good cuts, and is a pretty solid wing defender. But the whole point of Collin Hartman is that he's a high level floor spacer who can guard either forward spot on defense. McRoberts is terrified to shoot from outside, and he's too small to guard the post. I don't think they are very similar.

I think people sell Hartman short when they just talk about his leadership, yes he's a good leader, but when fully healthy he's a pretty big skilled versatile dude.

Just finished watching the game. Haven't read through the thread yet, but my take is that this team is finally establishing an Archie identity. It was fun to watch the post players battle for defensive position all game and hit the boards like they did. Also nice to see the offense not be tempted to push for perimeter shots off transition like we would have in the past and try to control each possession. Still too many turnovers, but many of them tonight were players trying to make an ill advised pass to involve a teammate, rather than players putting their head down and dribbling into a terrible situation. Those types or TO's are ones that are easier to clean up as the team jells than the selfish, stupid ones that we saw too often in past years. Just now had an realization that I haven't been seeing the ol' dribble>jump>pass to no one turnover we kept seeing in previous years. Thank God! 

I remember the announcer at one point saying Miller values defense and protecting the ball. It's not wonder this team has had such a tough transition considering these were the weaknesses of the Crean teams. I like the progress I'm seeing but fully expect us to have a very tough stretch of games coming up. I just hope this team doesn't have a confidence completely shattered by the Duke game. It's a fragile situation with young athletes and we couldn't have a worse game looming to work against the steps we've been taking forward. 

Btw, amazing how Newkirk couldn't hit a shot to save his life to start the season and suddenly shot like an All Big Ten players tonight. He ended last year shooting/scoring pretty effectively, so let's hope this wasn't a one game anomaly because it doesn't seem he will stop shooting from deep any time soon. 

Btw, a tale of two games from our senior guards this year:

vs. East Michigan: 12/18 fg, 9-12 3 pt fg, 6 assists, 2 turnovers.

vs. ISU: 4/15 fg, 1-9 3 pt fg, 3 assists, 6 turnovers. 

I don't expect them to put up these type of stats in future games in terms of scoring, but let's hope they maintain a higher level of overall effectiveness between the two of them than they started the season with. Green and Jones haven't played with any consistency, so it's really on these veteran guards to come out each game and make a positive impact. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I misremembering, or did Green sit a lot in the second half? 

I love how Archie refuses to pay guys who matter repeated mental mistakes, no matter how talented. 

He played 12 minutes total. I remember he turned the ball over at about the 15:00 mark of the second half (and then maybe fouled?) and then went down on defense one of the next couple possessions and jumped with no discipline at all on two pump fakes on the perimeter, which I think resulted in another foul. Not sure that's all completely accurate with fouls, but regardless it was not a pretty stretch of ball for him at all there. He was pulled after the jumping jack defensive effort and I don't think he played again after that point. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I love how Archie refuses to pay guys who matter repeated mental mistakes, no matter how talented. 

He sat almost the entire half. I remember the camera being on him after one of RoJo’s made 3 point buckets when we were starting to pull away in the 2nd half. Hartman “sitting” next to him was on his feet cheering on his teammates while Green sat there completely still, looking totally dejected. I hope I’m off on Green but I sense a real attitude problem. I wouldn’t be surprised if he loses his starting spot to Al or Hartman next time out. Maybe coming off the bench will light a fire in his arse because we really need his offense. 

34 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He sat almost the entire half. I remember the camera being on him after one of RoJo’s made 3 point buckets when we were starting to pull away in the 2nd half. Hartman “sitting” next to him was on his feet cheering on his teammates while Green sat there completely still, looking totally dejected. I hope I’m off on Green but I sense a real attitude problem. I wouldn’t be surprised if he loses his starting spot to Al or Hartman next time out. Maybe coming off the bench will light a fire in his arse because we really need his offense. 

He's young. I wouldn't label him as an attitude problem just yet. I have a feeling that Archie will teach and motivate in a way Green responds to and you'll see a much better effort going forward.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We were at the game yesterday and it was great being able to see Archies reactions to what was going on on the court.  Green did make some bad plays, but I think he may have tweaked something as well.  He appeared to be favoring a knee or ankle, and at times I saw a grimace on his face.  May have been a combination of both poor play and a slight injury.

20 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

We were at the game yesterday and it was great being able to see Archies reactions to what was going on on the court.  Green did make some bad plays, but I think he may have tweaked something as well.  He appeared to be favoring a knee or ankle, and at times I saw a grimace on his face.  May have been a combination of both poor play and a slight injury.

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of him tweaking anything

Regardless of that, I think I'd move Durham into the starting lineup as he is the more consistent player.  Let Green be the microwave off the bench, and when he is having an off night you can sit him. 

Most complete game of the season.  The team really has been getting better each game, and Hartman’s ability to shoot the three makes a big difference.  Durham with 5 assists and 0 TOs in 30 minutes is huge.  McSwain with 10 points and 9 boards is also really encouraging.  And nice to see the senior guards starting to come around.

Feeling much better about the Duke game now, especially because it’s gonna be at home in front of a jacked up crowd.  We have a chance to pull the upset if we play like we did last night.

Archived