Indiana University vs Duke basketball discussion thread

milehiiu

Had to go back and watch a few youtube videos vs Duke. Obviously 2002 and Marco game in 2005. Our fans are so friggin awesome it's hard to pick which of the 7 or 8 games that equaled a jet taking off inside of AH. But when Marco dunked at 7 something minute mark I thought the arena would explode. At one point I know that was the loudest AH ever has been. I'll match us up against anyone. Shoot....the loudest Rupp Arena has ever been was the game vs Duke and E8 game vs Kent St when we played there. 

Hoping for a moment the guys get a good start and let Duke players know their entire little gym is the same size as our student section on Wednesday.

Edit: Always forget that Antonio Gates played for Kent St in 2002. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Had to go back and watch a few youtube videos vs Duke. Obviously 2002 and Marco game in 2005. Our fans are so friggin awesome it's hard to pick which of the 7 or 8 games that equaled a jet taking off inside of AH. But when Marco dunked at 7 something minute mark I thought the arena would explode. At one point I know that was the loudest AH ever has been. I'll match us up against anyone. Shoot....the loudest Rupp Arena has ever been was the game vs Duke and E8 game vs Kent St when we played there. 

Hoping for a moment the guys get a good start and let Duke players know their entire little gym is the same size as our student section on Wednesday.

Also we faced them in 2015 but that game was not at home and was not pretty.

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Read your post and went to YouTube to watch some of both of those games. Wow. Saw a bit of Dane Fife and that led me to daydreaming about bottling that passion and drive he and so many others had and distributing it to every IU team in the future. And bottling that crowd noise!!

14 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Read your post and went to YouTube to watch some of both of those games. Wow. Saw a bit of Dane Fife and that led me to daydreaming about bottling that passion and drive he and so many others had and distributing it to every IU team in the future. And bottling that crowd noise!!

We all have various levels of fandom but when I need a pick me up on treadmill or outside when running.....I throw the Don Fischer/Todd Leary call on for a quick 4-5 minute burst. Still one of the best games I ever watched considering what Duke had. 

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

IU's raucous crowd will be a rude awakening for their freshmen. Something they've never seen. I'm thinking about the UK game on 12/10/2011. 

I think it will be more comparable to game against the John Wall Kentucky team.  At least in 2011 we had 2 top 5 draft picks.  We don't have anyone even close this season.  We don't even have a Watford or Hulls.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think it will be more comparable to game against the John Wall Kentucky team.  At least in 2011 we had 2 top 5 draft picks.  We don't have anyone even close this season.  We don't even have a Watford or Hulls.

Yeah probably somewhere in between. We had a bad team when we played Wall's UK team. But what we have today is definitely better than that team. hmm...I remember Mo Creek scored like 31 points in that game. Not sure if we have anyone who can do that kind of damage though.

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

True enough. But we do have a Miller. Which is better than having a Crean. 

Borzello's (espn) prediction of the game

Duke Blue Devils at Indiana Hoosiers (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)

"This is a tough spot for Archie Miller's Challenge debut -- against the most talented team in the country. It's going to take at least a year for the Hoosiers to turn it around, but can they make Duke sweat in Bloomington? They'll have to make shots from the perimeter against the zone."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21579304/picking-every-game-year-big-ten-acc-challenge

Hard to fault, but I wonder about the perimeter shots comment. Have to make some, but think we'll see the team continue to seek to break the zone by going inside, as in Morgan. 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Borzello's (espn) prediction of the game

Duke Blue Devils at Indiana Hoosiers (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)

"This is a tough spot for Archie Miller's Challenge debut -- against the most talented team in the country. It's going to take at least a year for the Hoosiers to turn it around, but can they make Duke sweat in Bloomington? They'll have to make shots from the perimeter against the zone."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21579304/picking-every-game-year-big-ten-acc-challenge

Hard to fault, but I wonder about the perimeter shots comment. Have to make some, but think we'll see the team continue to seek to break the zone by going inside, as in Morgan. 

After seeing zone in the last 2 games and having prepared for that, I am not too worried about Dukes zone. Especially if Collin plays 20+ minutes. I think we are much better equipped to bust a zone and run half court offense than in years past. 

Yes, we will need hot shooting, low turnovers, transition D, Davis staying on the court and more but I think we hang with them for the most part. 

Just hope we can keep them from a big run that breaks the game open. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We all have various levels of fandom but when I need a pick me up on treadmill or outside when running.....I throw the Don Fischer/Todd Leary call on for a quick 4-5 minute burst. Still one of the best games I ever watched considering what Duke had. 

A cd was made of their play-by-play and I bought it, listened to it several times. It's around here somewhere..

Still tons of tickets left on Stubhub, and prices have dropped dramatically. Decent seats for 70-100 bucks!

https://www.stubhub.com/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-tickets-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-bloomington-assembly-hall-in-11-29-2017/event/103070966/?sort=price+asc

Probably the best deal I see is two seats in Row 19, Section G for $90 a piece. There are, of course, cheaper tickets for further back rows/balcony. These seemed like the best bang for the buck that I was able to find.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:10 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Over under on Grayson tripping one of our guys?

0, our guards cant play him and wont be close enough for him to trip. Allen will go off a long with Carter and Bagley. I'm rooting against me like hell but this is the way I see it playing out. We can only hope with all of there play and travel they come in with no legs under them and are sluggish.

18 minutes ago, Indykev said:

0, our guards cant play him and wont be close enough for him to trip. Allen will go off a long with Carter and Bagley. I'm rooting against me like hell but this is the way I see it playing out. We can only hope with all of there play and travel they come in with no legs under them and are sluggish.

I don't think that's going to happen.  Duke is not a good perimeter shooting team which is our biggest weakness defensively.  If we continue to limit turnovers we will be in it until the end IMO.  

Archived