Indiana University vs Duke basketball discussion thread

milehiiu

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

Only you mile would ask this question I think what I am planning on doing is wearing some layers of each color. 

That's because I am the only member willing to ask what's on my mind.  Don't think there aren't others who were thinking the same I was asking.  LOL

Have a great time at the game tonight !

From their forum:

“It's not appropriate that Indiana is still considered a 'blue blood' program. Unlike other blue blood programs, Indiana has not passed the test of time. They haven't won a National Championship since 1987, they have been to two Final Fours since then, and have been generally just been a good basketball program outside of Bob Knight. 

They are one of those basketball programs (we see this in football too, see Tennessee) that just completely inflates their self worth with delusion and a false sense of reality.”

^^ IU is still a blue blood (ignores among other things that we were the Nation's longest running #1 ranked program with the Cody-Vic squad, that we've had several recent SW16s, played in the Final  with RMK's recruits under Davis, that we have two recent B1G titles, that we have recent top 5 draft picks and other lottery picks in Vic, Cody, Vonleh, and it ignores that since RMK's firing we've gone through 3 coaches and are on our 4th), but as condescending and holier than thou as that Duke (Dook) post is, it's a fair viewpoint. IU needs to get back to FFs and revive our program's past greatness. But then, we just hired CAM, with that goal. 

37 minutes ago, madmax said:

From their forum:

“It's not appropriate that Indiana is still considered a 'blue blood' program. Unlike other blue blood programs, Indiana has not passed the test of time. They haven't won a National Championship since 1987, they have been to two Final Fours since then, and have been generally just been a good basketball program outside of Bob Knight. 

They are one of those basketball programs (we see this in football too, see Tennessee) that just completely inflates their self worth with delusion and a false sense of reality.”

As if I needed another reason to hate Duke. 

IU is at such a talent deficit that it would be a shock if IU could win outright.    Talent wise, it's obviously not a fair fight.  I just don't want to see a dysfunctional mess like we saw two years ago in Durham where we played pathetically in all phases.  I'd like to see a team that acquits itself nicely in terms of smart play, toughness, and continuing the trend of playing better.  Anything beyond that is gravy.

1 hour ago, madmax said:

From their forum:

Not all Duke fans feel the same about IU as this person. 

1 hour ago, madmax said:

From their forum:

They should wait until K retires and will realize how hard it is to replace a living legend. It took us 17 years to find a good one though IU did some damage to itself along the way.

3 hours ago, madmax said:

From their forum:

What. a. moron.  Duke is the only "Blueblood" that has only had one coach win a title, not IU.  We are not all Knight.  

I'm taking the longer view of this one, and thinking that the game comes at a fortuitous time in terms of promoting the team's growth.  The way I see it, the pack line defense has made strides, but is nowhere near where it needs to be, and while a few of the players are starting to reach their comfort zones in the new system, most haven't.  They had a relatively good game against Eastern Michigan, but still gave up 1.1 points per possession, and I think that this game will be very good for exposing what they most need to work on going forward, and will perhaps speed them along their learning curve. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What. a. moron.  Duke is the only "Blueblood" that has only had one coach win a title, not IU.  We are not all Knight.  

It'll be very interesting to see what Duke does when Coach K finally steps down. He has an extensive coaching tree and I imagine there would be a lot of interest in the job. But all it takes is one bad hire, and the program could be set back for years. (See: Sampson, Kelvin)

38 minutes ago, madmax said:

It'll be very interesting to see what Duke does when Coach K finally steps down. He has an extensive coaching tree and I imagine there would be a lot of interest in the job. But all it takes is one bad hire, and the program could be set back for years. (See: Sampson, Kelvin)

Pressure will be enormous especially with the great success they had last several years and all the 5-star kids Coach K brought in. With about 2 wrong or so-so hires, Duke will easily waste a decade. I'm just hoping they won't land Brad Stevens. That will be a sucker punch to my gut. 

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Pressure will be enormous especially with the great success they had last several years and all the 5-star kids Coach K brought in. With about 2 wrong or so-so hires, Duke will easily waste a decade. I'm just hoping they won't land Brad Stevens. That will be a sucker punch to my gut. 

Interesting thing is that Coach K will clearly want one of his guys to be the successor, but their AD’s son, Mike White, seems like one of the next future stars in the game. May be an interesting dynamic there, though I think Coach K would win out on that one. 

Archived