The Grilling & Smoking Thread

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I wonder if it would "suck" all that flavor down into the meat instead of only setting on the surface or simply burning off? 

Your marinade ingredients will be the more important part.  You need an acid like apple cider vinegar, lemon, or lime juice to help tenderize meat.  Vacuum sealing can speed up the process.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know we have some fish folks on here. Got back from a first time trip....Gulf Shores/Red Snapper season. Our haul is being delivered tomorrow. Anyone have a good way grill/oven/air fryer to cook these? Admittedly (besides Salmon and Trout) I don't know how to prepare honestly.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know we have some fish folks on here. Got back from a first time trip....Gulf Shores/Red Snapper season. Our haul is being delivered tomorrow. Anyone have a good way grill/oven/air fryer to cook these? Admittedly (besides Salmon and Trout) I don't know how to prepare honestly.

Pan sear with skin on... 5 minutes per side (skin side up first) on medium high heat, then finish with 5 minutes in a 400 degree oven...

You can use olive oil or butter... And I like just salt and pepper... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

If you do it in the oven put the fish in the cold oven then turn it on. It cooks more evenly and the outside shouldn't get dry. Whatever method fish is done when it flakes apart. 

I like to cut a lemon in half and cook the cut side down on whatever surface youre using for a couple minutes.  Then squeeze on the fish. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Pan sear with skin on... 5 minutes per side (skin side up first) on medium high heat, then finish with 5 minutes in a 400 degree oven...

You can use olive oil or butter... And I like just salt and pepper... 

I always peel the skin off when done. Fish skin 🤮 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It peels right off...

Also, make sure you pat the fish as dry as you can before cooking... That does make a difference... 

I always check to make sure the bloodline is removed to. It's a pinkish to red line down the middle of the fillet.  They are usually removed but I'll find them on occasion. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any of you guys ever buy one of these Expert Grill Portable Charcoal Grills? I've got two nephews that are just getting started in life at their apartments in Chicago and Madison. They have patio/porch space but the landlords don't allow gas grills but I guess charcoal is ok....haha. 

Just curious. Wanted to get them something for Christmas they could use all year as opposed to just Venmo $. 

Edited by Seeking6

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Any of you guys ever buy one of these Expert Grill Portable Charcoal Grills? I've got two nephews that are just getting started in life at their apartments in Chicago and Madison. They have patio/porch space but the landlords don't allow gas grills but I guess charcoal is ok....haha. 

Just curious. Wanted to get them something for Christmas they could use all year as opposed to just Venmo $. 

I started out with a 14" weber kettle grill. Had pretty good luck with it. I'm guessing the expert grill would have similar performance.  

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 4:37 PM, Seeking6 said:

I’d second Weber. The travel ones come in 14” and 18” and are solid. The performance may not be much different than the Expert, but they should last much longer. 

One thing that may be worth getting for an apartment is one of the better models of the 22.5” that has an ash bucket instead of just a tray. 

• Like 2