Car Talk (and Truck Talk too)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, Reacher said:

Anybody going to be getting in line to buy this?

https://www.rezvanimotors.com/rezvani-vengeance#vengeance-interior-gallery-home

With the military package its $500k but you get night vision, EMP protection and electrified door handles.

1SWAT_BLUE_MATTE.jpg?format=1000w

There will be some dumbass in our neighborhood buying this to ferry their kids the three blocks to school and back for sure.

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The one constant in high performance, is chasing the weak link.

Pow... Fixed, next.

POW ... fixed, next

POWOW ... fixed, next.

Break

Out

Another

Thousand 

:)

When I lived in Colorado I used to off-road my Grand Cherokee (lifted, 32” wheels, sliders, etc). There’s a reason they call it a Jeep. 

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

When I lived in Colorado I used to off-road my Grand Cherokee (lifted, 32” wheels, sliders, etc). There’s a reason they call it a Jeep. 

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

There in is the reason even though I know enough to be extremely dangerous, I never became a motor head!

Now if someone with unlimited funds would like to sponsor me, I might be interested!

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There in is the reason even though I know enough to be extremely dangerous, I never became a motor head!

Now if someone with unlimited funds would like to sponsor me, I might be interested!

Small Budget/ Large budget   .. It's really all the same, only the scale of POW, fix it, changes. But I promise you, it's all the same.

Small budget you build a 250hp 4 cyl, chase crap to fix.

Big budget you build an 800Hp big block, chase more expensive things to fix.

I guess I should say, in my experience, the time from Throttle to repair is much slower on the small budget which means more fun time. But the big budget is just flat fast exhilaration.

My old man always said. A dog that shits fast, don't shit long.  

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Small Budget/ Large budget   .. It's really all the same, only the scale of POW, fix it, changes. But I promise you, it's all the same.

Small budget you build a 250hp 4 cyl, chase crap to fix.

Big budget you build an 800Hp big block, chase more expensive things to fix.

I guess I should say, in my experience, the time from Throttle to repair is much slower on the small budget which means more fun time. But the big budget is just flat fast exhilaration.

My old man always said. A dog that shits fast, don't shit long.  

My former boss used to have his own machine shop where the motor heads would come to have him work his magic. One day almost laughingly he asked me why he was being asked to grind 7 facets on intake valves. I said to smooth out the flow so the air fuel mixture didn’t start to separate thereby maintaining maximum combustion. He never challenged me again!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a mid-life crisis car?  I'm in the market for one.  Not looking at something new.  I've been mainly looking at Porsche Boxster S or a BMW Z4 3.5Sdrive.  I understand the Boxster is a better over all sports car but man, I love the look of the BMW Z w/the hard top 2009-2018.  I've also considered Jaguar F-TYPE and the Alfa Romeo 4C (but the Spider is a tad out of my range and I really want a convertible).  Anyone have thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Anyone have a mid-life crisis car?  I'm in the market for one.   Anyone have thoughts?

All I can say is I hope you have a LOT of money for repairs and maintenance on any of those choices. All of them look great, and probably tons of fun to drive.

One of the mechanics I listen to, suggests that a Mazda Miata is maybe the best quality roadster out there. (And probably half the cost to buy, and ¼ of the cost to repair/maintain. Just FYI

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DWB said:

All I can say is I hope you have a LOT of money for repairs and maintenance on any of those choices. All of them look great, and probably tons of fun to drive.

One of the mechanics I listen to, suggests that a Mazda Miata is maybe the best quality roadster out there. (And probably half the cost to buy, and ¼ of the cost to repair/maintain. Just FYI

Good thoughts!  Maintenance, repairs and such are being taken into account.  It'll be a 3-season sunny day only type car.  I'll add a car cover for it in the garage and a battery trickler in the winter. 

My mom has a Miata...they are nice...but they aren't quite what I'm looking for.  :)  Fun car to drive but the others...yummmmm.... ;)

Edited by Naturalhoosier

3 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Anyone have a mid-life crisis car?  I'm in the market for one.  Not looking at something new.  I've been mainly looking at Porsche Boxster S or a BMW Z4 3.5Sdrive.  I understand the Boxster is a better over all sports car but man, I love the look of the BMW Z w/the hard top 2009-2018.  I've also considered Jaguar F-TYPE and the Alfa Romeo 4C (but the Spider is a tad out of my range and I really want a convertible).  Anyone have thoughts?

I had my Porsche moment back in the late 70’s owned a 59 coupe and a 60 Super 90 Cabriolet! Had a lot of fun with the Cabriolet! Now a day I’m seriously looking at converting my 17 Ford Focus into an RV so I can economically explore the country in my retirement! I guess you could call that my old age crisis car!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I had my Porsche moment back in the late 70’s owned a 59 coupe and a 60 Super 90 Cabriolet! Had a lot of fun with the Cabriolet! Now a day I’m seriously looking at converting my 17 Ford Focus into an RV so I can economically explore the country in my retirement! I guess you could call that my old age crisis car!

That’s awesome!!  I have also toyed with the RV route. I think that will wait until retirement. Probably have 20 yrs to go. ;)

On 3/26/2023 at 8:27 AM, Naturalhoosier said:

That’s awesome!!  I have also toyed with the RV route. I think that will wait until retirement. Probably have 20 yrs to go. ;)

I've been looking at RVs for a couple years. Looking at a 26-27 foot travel trailer. Think it would be perfect for the wife and I. Hope to move in a couple years and i can work from the RV when we take our trips.

When I was around 30, I thought of getting an extra car to have fun with. Figured if I bought right, I could get a Corvette, have it for 5 years and then sell for near what I paid for it. Then the kids came and ruined that plan.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 2:12 PM, Reacher said:

I've been looking at RVs for a couple years. Looking at a 26-27 foot travel trailer. Think it would be perfect for the wife and I. Hope to move in a couple years and i can work from the RV when we take our trips.

When I was around 30, I thought of getting an extra car to have fun with. Figured if I bought right, I could get a Corvette, have it for 5 years and then sell for near what I paid for it. Then the kids came and ruined that plan.

I’m 43. Kids are early teens. It’s about time for a fun Dad car!!!!!  I just hope my son doesn’t get any Ferris Bueller ideas…lol

When I’m retired or near, I’ll look at smaller Class C and pull the daily driver behind it. The plan is to hit all MLB parks in one summer! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I’m 43. Kids are early teens. It’s about time for a fun Dad car!!!!!  I just hope my son doesn’t get any Ferris Bueller ideas…lol

When I’m retired or near, I’ll look at smaller Class C and pull the daily driver behind it. The plan is to hit all MLB parks in one summer! 

Ballparks, National parks, State parks.... Best Pizza joints in each state, best Brewpubs... So much to see and do!

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 5:41 PM, Naturalhoosier said:

Last summer I was looking at a used Porsche Panamera Hybrid. I've always wanted a 911 (that might be a few **ahem** many **ahem** years away) and this seemed like a good alternative that I hadn't really considered. 

The PPH was nice and super quick -- it's basically a Turbo hybrid. I definitely enjoyed the heft of this 'bigger' sports sedan. Ultimately didn't pull the trigger and someone else snatched it up, but I'm keeping my eye out.

• Like 1

In the mid 1970's I had a Porsche 356 SC for a couple of years. It had a broken piston ring so I rebuilt the engine. I had already rebuilt a couple of he's and the process was pretty much the same. It had the European license plates still on it and, of course, the speedometer was in kph not mph. It was a lot of fun.

• Like 3

I'd like to find out whoever designed this

s-l500.jpg.3b623ee8fafff8d52d88f255e0a35601.jpg

And punch them in the testicles. In order to replace this filter I have to remove the air intake manifold. What should be a 10 minute job takes an hour or more. 

In the meantime my truck dings continously while driving even though my oil pressure is fine. 100 years of automobiles didn't need this stupid filter. 

• Like 1